Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

How would you appraise this 996?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 02:17 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How would you appraise this 996?

Consider an '01 Cup Car, state of the art, cost no object maintenance by a household name Porsche shop, DE's only since new, verified never wrecked to any degree. However, since never raced, no suspension or other updates...

Not sure about engine hours, but estimate 15 DE's/year for five years...

What is a fair price? What is the checklist of updates (suspension? gears?) required to be competitive in GTC3? (all other things-driver-being equal...)
and what should I budget for those?

thx. Not sure I can really return to the track in '08 but if so it will be in a factory car this time...
Old 10-26-2007, 03:39 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 92 Posts

very low 60 range.

If this car really has 15 DEs per year times 5 years, my god, thats about a record for an engine / tranny without a rebuild.

Needs 03+ gearing, possibly 04 adjust. shocks to be competitive.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:01 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What Chris said. At 2.5 hrs. per DE weekend x 15 per year(!!)x5 years=187.5 hrs. I am assuming 2 day DE events or is it 15 DE days? That would cut your hour number in half & probably make the car worth more towards upper $ 60s.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:30 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Brandon;

Glad to hear you're considering making the jump back into track.

Joe
Old 10-26-2007, 04:55 PM
bmoore
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You would also need to upgrade to the larger front brake calipers, which would also mean later model wheels or spacers.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:43 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

I never ran the larger front brakes. Add alot of weight and dont help at all if the fronts are properly vented.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:40 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We do close to 1.5 hours/day, so at 15 events/year for 5 years, that is 225 hours IF they are all only 2 day events. Yikes!
Old 10-28-2007, 12:56 AM
bmoore
Instructor

Porsche upgraded the front brakes for a reason. The larger front calipers better than the smaller ones.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:25 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Yes Barry, and thats why the newer cup cars always beat me

You are right, for pros in endurance racing, they are needed. For amateurs in PCA, absolutely no impact other than adding weight.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:38 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
You are right, for pros in endurance racing, they are needed. For amateurs in PCA, absolutely no impact other than adding weight.
In my experience, its the less experienced drivers who make the most use of their brakes.

Given that we can brake with three times the G-force we can accelerate with, braking hard is one of the best ways of going faster.

R+C
Old 10-28-2007, 12:08 PM
gt3skea
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
In my experience, its the less experienced drivers who make the most use of their brakes.

Given that we can brake with three times the G-force we can accelerate with, braking hard is one of the best ways of going faster.

R+C
if im understanding that comment correctly i resectfully, yet strongly disagree... one of the biggest differences between pro's and amateurs is braking. less experienced drivers dont make the most of anything, and as i have progressed and watched others progress, braking is one of the most difficult things to truly master.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:47 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...thats why the newer cup cars always beat me
Me too

Seriously, I think the older cups can be very competitive, just ask Glen or Chris. You just have to drive the wheels off of them to make up for that lack of hp. The big brakes aren't really necessary. I ran w/o them for the first couple years but they are a confidence booster. The small brakes will stop the car just fine & never let me down but can get a little soft @ a fast track in a long enduro. The bigger brakes are rock solid, period. That's a nice feeling going into turn 1 @ Daytona But hey, what do I know. I still run the stock, non-adjustable shocks
Old 10-28-2007, 05:25 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by gt3skea
if im understanding that comment correctly i resectfully, yet strongly disagree... one of the biggest differences between pro's and amateurs is braking. less experienced drivers dont make the most of anything, and as i have progressed and watched others progress, braking is one of the most difficult things to truly master.
Short hard braking from speed is less hard on brakes than long 'gentle' braking. To generalise, amateurs do the latter, pros do the former.

Then pros don'r use their brakes as often as amateurs. Take the Nürburgring, Stirling Moss pointed out that there are only six corners which require braking, the average amateur is probably braking at 20 of them.

So amateur drivers are tougher on brakes than the professionals.

R+C
Old 10-28-2007, 07:41 PM
gt3skea
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Short hard braking from speed is less hard on brakes than long 'gentle' braking. To generalise, amateurs do the latter, pros do the former.

Then pros don'r use their brakes as often as amateurs. Take the Nürburgring, Stirling Moss pointed out that there are only six corners which require braking, the average amateur is probably braking at 20 of them.

So amateur drivers are tougher on brakes than the professionals.

R+C
ahh - amateurs are harder on brake wear is what you were saying.... yes, i can see that.

Quick Reply: How would you appraise this 996?