Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

Yokohama Driver's Cup Series.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 12:29 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Yokohama Driver's Cup Series.....

I'm heading up to Sears Point/Infineon this weekend for the final West Coast race in this the series inaugural year. There are 30 entries to date divided among 997 and 996 Cups. Many of the drivers from last week's IMSA race at Laguna will be participating including Champion Bobby Faieta. This will be the 3d event of the series that I've raced in, and I wanted to share my observations and comments.

Starting a new race series would seem to be a really difficult task especially when running events on both coasts. Greg Franz, who successfully ran the POC for many years, has done an admirable job. Along with all the great venues, he has managed to get Craig Stanton and Patrick Long to coach at the events. Their experience and insights alone are worth the price of admission. They watch the sessions and offer their opinions and suggestions after each run. Additionally they share their insights on the individual nuances of each track and run a ducks-in-a-row first session to show you their lines. Of course you have to be able to stay with them.....

The series has been a success this year and will continue with a full schedule next year according to Franz. Outside of ISMA's Demolition Derby series it's the only successful Cup series going in the States. The final race of the 07' season will be at Road Atlanta on Nov.16-18th. If I do well at Infineon I'll be heading South for that race. It would be great to race with some of you that I only get to chat online with....

No affiliation; I just like the format of the series....
Old 10-24-2007, 08:07 PM
grussell
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John,

I completely agree. Greg has done a fantastic job. See you this weekend.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:00 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

Wow I heard something about this about a year ago but thought it disappeared. No publicity. Seems USERA had a lot of publicity but no cars. Hope it works out!
Old 10-25-2007, 01:10 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

John & Garrett,

See you this weekend - I am running both POC & Driver's Cup!

JCM

Quick Reply: Yokohama Driver's Cup Series.....