Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ALMS Gt3 cup series

I was wondering if anybody has any input in regards to the lack of TV coverage
of the ALMS cup car series.
We know as a fact that:
1. PMNA does not care as long as they sell parts and cars
2. ALMS is only interseted in the entry revenue and treats the series as such
3. Porsche America does not know but is proud that they have a revenue based racing program that generates a tremendous profit.
4. The Porsche Club of America does not seem to have a voice or care?

I would think that a company that has a "driving experience" would find some marketing benefits and exploit the regonal markets in the various areas the series races in. I attend these races and see, with the exception of Sebring no involvment witht the Porsche Corral. And even at Laguna no contact or promotion. We participate in this series and are watching the cost of cars go up
and the car count go down but there is still 26 to 32 cars that bang door handles fairly often and provide great racing by any standards. We have a higher grid count then the P1 P2 GT1 and GT2 cars combined.
I understand Speed TV and we all know the NASCAR reality, but when questioned they send us back to the PMNA racing department for TV promotion
I just read an article from Doug Fehan that is interesting in regards to promotion. http://www.motorsport.com/news/artic...FS=ALMS-LEMANS. My question is does anybody care or is care for this not merited? I tired to keep this short I know I'm preaching to the choir a little but I would be interested in why the Porsche Club would not be interested in promoting ( putting membership pressure) into a series that they are a feeder to. It is a big club with more clout than they know.
regards
Old 10-26-2007, 05:15 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I was wondering the same thing while watching the Ferrari Challenge coverage on Speed a week or two ago..
Old 10-27-2007, 04:43 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

PCA does not have a say in the series, that is intentional....
PMNA does.....
TV coverage is light b/c it is an amateur event, no if ands or buts

it is a feeder race for people who are occasional competitors the rules are pretty clear in this regard.

the rules read:

5.2 Driver Standards

5.2.1 (should read) In order to be eligible for licensing in the Championship, drivers must
be a bona-fide Amateur or Semi-Professional Driver (as defined in Category A, B,
C & D.) IMSA may, at its sole discretion, permit other drivers to participate in
events as a “Guest Driver”. However, such drivers shall not be classified for
championship points or a podium position. If a Guest Driver finishes in a podium
position, the next Driver or Drivers will be moved up into that podium position. The Guest Driver will be recognized in their finishing position on the podium but will not receive a trophy.

not sure what you are after but if it is sponsor $ then this is the wrong series.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:55 PM
racing97
Banned

Not looking for sponsor and I am acquainted with the rules I am however poor at comunication skills.
I have sat in on some meetings with people in the cup car series that have covered the gamit in discussions with officals, sancationing bodies, manufacturers etc. and thier reasons why a viable competetive program such as the GT3 cup is not a TV package, and let say for example Unique Whips
on Speed every !!!! night is that no one cares. After reading why Doug Fehan of GM racing continues to promote Corvette racing is for Corvette club support and allowing people who own those cars access.
My question was is there a voice from Porshce Club as a lobby to impress upon either Porsche Marketing or Speed TV that there is a audience for enthusiats of this attainable and realistic rcaing program.
In regards to your question of amateur or pro the race all looks the same whether it is Henzler and Westbrook or Faieta and Scardena it is good racing. I have always been impressed with the level of enthusiasm and competitivness of Porsche Club racing, people truly enjoy building and racing Porsches
and most everyone I talk to would like to see that rather than someone gluing material on a plywood speaker enclosure.

regards

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ALMS Gt3 cup series