Sponsored by:

GTC-3 Club Racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 02:00 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 83 Posts
Default GTC-3 Club Racing

I was thinking of trying out a little club racing with my 996 Cup.
I am not sure if I am ready, but I want to give it a shot. I have done 2 SCCA schools a couple of years ago, but I need to get my PCA license.
I would consider myself an average driver.
I am somewhat intimidated at the idea, as I know I will suck compared to most guys racing their 996 Cups.
But I am getting tired of some DE's. It gets old running around by yourself and/or getting pissed at the slow oblivious instructors/drivers that don't give a pass.

Do I need a crew to help or can I do it alone for a sprint race?

How many races do you guys typically do a year? How far do you travel?

Any advice/suggestions?

Thanks for any input.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:32 AM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for it! You don't need a crew we have been doing it for 4 years now and have been fine. We are not the fastest guys out there but we still have fun and there will always be someone you can race with even if they are not in a cup car. We typically do 5-6 races a year the longest being Road America (from Texas). Just make sure your car is ready before you go and carry a some spares with you and you'll be fine.

Chris
Old 10-06-2007, 11:14 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Matt, I haven't raced but know you CAN drive (fast!) and I vote that you race. I know you would do very well.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:42 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You sound ready. PCA holds a intro school usually the night before the race that will help you out with the particulars. They also run a session of practice starts on Sat. before the first race which will also help get you acclimated.

You'll be fine. Just drive your line, and check our mirrors but don't obsess. Your Cup will be one of the faster cars out there so use your power wisely to get clear of the log jambs. You're going to be smiling from ear to ear....

You don't need any help as long as your car's properly set up and you have a few sets of tires. I wouldn't waste a new set for your first race, but conversely, you do want tires that still have some grip perhaps 3-4 cycles max.

I remember on my first race coming onto the straight waiting for the flag to drop and I couldn't stop smiling. I kept thinking why did I wait so long. Enjoy!....
Old 10-06-2007, 12:45 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Go for it, Matt, and report back!
Old 10-06-2007, 04:53 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt,
I agree w/the gang. Go for it! PCA can assign you a mentor for your first CR weekend & with as many cups as we have running now, chances are good it will be another one of your cup brothers. You might want to use support for @ least your first weekend so you can concentrate on droving.

PS: 5-6 weekends a year. Road America & Daytona are my farthest so far. Hope to hit The Glen & Sebring next year.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:52 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
It gets old running around by yourself
Go for it...you'll have a blast. Since you are gridded by time every run , there is always someone to chase. And once you do the first practice start, you'll wonder why you did DEs for so long.

You definitely do not need a crew. Make sure to do the enduro...that is half the fun!
Old 10-07-2007, 02:26 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Try to get to Hallett this weekend for the Club Race School....Would solve all Your issues if You can get there.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:33 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Glen
Try to get to Hallett this weekend for the Club Race School....Would solve all Your issues if You can get there.
Where is Hallett?
I already have an event scheduled at VIR - Synergy Fall Fling. This is my favorite event of the year. Open passing in the race group and there is always some fast race cars there to chase. It is the closest thing to racing I have done - besides the SCCA school and practice races at Summit a few years ago.
When is the next club race school? Where?

Thank you all for your input!
Old 10-07-2007, 02:36 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by forklift
Matt, I haven't raced but know you CAN drive (fast!) and I vote that you race. I know you would do very well.
Thanks Jim for the positive comments. I hope I could do well.
But I think that YOU think I am fast only because my Cup car has 100+ horsepower more than your car .
Old 10-07-2007, 10:28 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Where is Hallett?
I already have an event scheduled at VIR - Synergy Fall Fling. This is my favorite event of the year. Open passing in the race group and there is always some fast race cars there to chase. It is the closest thing to racing I have done - besides the SCCA school and practice races at Summit a few years ago.
When is the next club race school? Where?

Thank you all for your input!
Hallett is just outside of Tulsa OK.
No worries, go with what You have scheduled and we will touch base after that event.
Enjoy!
Old 10-08-2007, 10:08 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Jim for the positive comments. I hope I could do well.
But I think that YOU think I am fast only because my Cup car has 100+ horsepower more than your car .

While I have seen a few slow drivers in GT3 Cup Cars, you are not one of them. IIRC you aren't too far off some of the best GTC3 lap times from previous PCA races at VIR.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:55 AM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking of trying out a little club racing with my 996 Cup.
I am not sure if I am ready, but I want to give it a shot. I have done 2 SCCA schools a couple of years ago, but I need to get my PCA license.
I would consider myself an average driver.
I am somewhat intimidated at the idea, as I know I will suck compared to most guys racing their 996 Cups.
But I am getting tired of some DE's. It gets old running around by yourself and/or getting pissed at the slow oblivious instructors/drivers that don't give a pass.

Do I need a crew to help or can I do it alone for a sprint race?

How many races do you guys typically do a year? How far do you travel?

Any advice/suggestions?

Thanks for any input.
You're ready. Practice using your mirrors a lot! You'll be fine. Do it like you run your business. Make constant decisions almost unconsciously, be alert, and drive like an aggressive gentleman.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:37 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin
You're ready. Practice using your mirrors a lot! You'll be fine. Do it like you run your business. Make constant decisions almost unconsciously, be alert, and drive like an aggressive gentleman.
Cup cars have mirrors?
Old 10-16-2007, 11:15 PM
por29
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

If you think you're ready..go for it. I'll never forget my first race. I suggest a "low key" event for your first PCA club race. Not WGI, Road Atlanta or Sebring in Feb. Try CMP or Roebling. Limerock in the spring, You'll have a great time. Bring a frend or two to help out. It'll make the weekend more pleasurable. We are going to race at CMP in Nov. and Roebling Road in Dec. with two new "rookie" racers. Check out the PCA club race schedule and get in touch with Susan Shire. Get your app. in.

www.rudtnersracing.com

Quick Reply: GTC-3 Club Racing