Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

How do you keep cool ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 11:12 AM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you keep cool ?

So who is using cool suits ? Who is running with the lexan windows on the car? Who is running with window nets and no lexan ?

I have the car currently setup with the windows in and it's hot as hell in there in full gear. I bought a cool suit with the helmet blower. Are there any other tricks you guys are using to stay cool ? I am interested in setting up the air duct that comes through the driver's side vent along the A pillar cage tubing. This was an upgrade in 2003 I think. I have also seen the duct on the 993 and 964 cups. The question I have is what does it hook into under the dash ? Any pictures would be great. Or part numbers. I know the duct is generic. Thanks
Old 09-20-2007, 01:00 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Andy,
I'm set up much like you are. Windows in, cool suit and helmet blower. My cool suit seems to loose it's effectiveness fairly quickly. 30 minutes or so. There has got to be a better mousetrap for staying cool.

I can remove my windows in a couple minutes and I have a window net for really hot days.

The dash blower helps a little but I don't think it's doing much once you start driving. Mine does not have the silver L shaped extension that you see sometimes. I need to check into that. If you don't hear from someone else I'll look at where it's connected tonight.
Jim
Old 09-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there a huge advantage in running the side windows vs not?

Jim, are you running the FAST cool suit, or the 'Cool Shirt'? The 'Cool Shirt' system seems to last longer than the FAST system.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:20 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Jim my wndows don't come out as easy and the side mirrors are attached to them. If i did take them out I'd need to cut them and leave a portion for the mirror to attach.

I have the FAST system I simply liked the blower fan mounting better. Between the 2 systems they are basically identical now. FAST has an updated cooler that Cool Shirt always had offered.

As far as going faster with the windows in, I'd say definately yes. With the driver's side window out the car becomes a parachute. There is nowhere for the air to exit the cockpit. I have no proof of this but that's my gut feeling. Also I was an engineer for NASA in the 80's. Actually no that's a lie I was drinking my dad's beers in the woods with 16 year old chicks in th 80's .... LOL
Old 09-20-2007, 02:20 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

There is a significant drag penalty running with no side windows.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:49 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Earlier thread on this subject. See Mike's last post, re: cupcar windows:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...referrerid=836

PS: I didn't run them last year @ Daytona & had no issues. YMMV
Old 09-20-2007, 04:34 PM
Cory M
Drifting

There is a drag coefficient for open versus closed windows listed in Joseph Katz's book, New Directions in Racecar Aerodynamics. I don't have the book in front of me but I will try to look at it later and post the numbers. I remember the difference being pretty significant, I was actually thinking about checking my rulebook to see if I am allowed to run with fixed lexan side windows with sliders like the C2 cups (my racecar is not a cupcar, unfortunately). The coefficient in the book isn't an apples-to-apples comparison because the testing wasn't done on a Porsche but it still provides a good relative comparison of running with or without windows.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:02 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

After 2 years of running in a closed cockpit, I took out both of my windows this week and installed a net. I look forward to running this weekend at Buttonwillow where it's normally hot-as-hell this time of year. Unfortunately, a freak early winter storm is arriving tomorrow and it's going to be cold.

I have the Fast cool suit sytem with the larger 24 qt. cooler in the passenger side with blower. The blower I thought was worthless as it really just blows ambient temps. It also radiates the cooler so I closed it up to make my ice last longer. A block works better than cubes by the way. Mine will last for an hours or more.

As for aerdynamic loss, my closests Cup Car competitors all run without windows. At high speed tracks like Cal Speedway we're all about the same even up on the banking at 160 or better. I'll have a better comparison after this weekend.

One other note, there are quarter panel window rear-facing vents which were factory on the 04' & 05' cups. I was told by Eric @ Motorsports that these are not there for cabin venting, rather to deflect air flow around the ends of the spoiler. Intersting stuff....
Old 09-20-2007, 05:36 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was told by Eric @ Motorsports that these are not there for cabin venting, rather to deflect air flow around the ends of the spoiler.
That is cool! One of the advantages of having the R&D resources of Porsche indirectly researching your racing effort. Why anybody would try to re-invent the wheel & develop their own GT car is beyond me.

This forum is only a few days old & I'm learning new stuff already. I love this place
Old 09-20-2007, 06:23 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

John that is cool. I put those in last weekend thinking that the faster moving air outside would pull out the hot as nutz air inside. Maybe they do both. I forgot to mention that was one of my attempts at cooling the cockpit. BTW those windows don't fit as nice as the glass versions do in the rubber edge moulding. But hey who cares they are bolted in I don't see them coming out anytime soon.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:44 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyT
John that is cool. I put those in last weekend thinking that the faster moving air outside would pull out the hot as nutz air inside. Maybe they do both. I forgot to mention that was one of my attempts at cooling the cockpit. BTW those windows don't fit as nice as the glass versions do in the rubber edge moulding. But hey who cares they are bolted in I don't see them coming out anytime soon.
Andy I want them too regardless of what the gell they do.... Did you get them form Motorsports and if so how much dinero?...
Old 09-20-2007, 06:47 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

I got them from PMNA pretty sure they were 2 something a piece. I will double check for you when I get home.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:33 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cory M
There is a drag coefficient for open versus closed windows listed in Joseph Katz's book, New Directions in Racecar Aerodynamics. I don't have the book in front of me but I will try to look at it later and post the numbers. I remember the difference being pretty significant, I was actually thinking about checking my rulebook to see if I am allowed to run with fixed lexan side windows with sliders like the C2 cups (my racecar is not a cupcar, unfortunately). The coefficient in the book isn't an apples-to-apples comparison because the testing wasn't done on a Porsche but it still provides a good relative comparison of running with or without windows.

The increase in drag due to open windows from the book were as follows: 6.7% for a generic sedan, 2.5% for a generic streamlined racecar. Not much but significant in the aero world, if you are a very consistent driver you may see a small difference at high speed courses.

The new cupcar quarter windows with the slots cut in them were most likely designed and optimized with the door windows in place since that is the way the majority of the cup series are run. I noticed that one of the GrandAM GT teams (either farnbacher or tafel) had actually closed them up this year, TRG and others left them open.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:59 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

We have found if you freeze larger blocks of ice that it will last longer in the cooler then just cubes.

We run windows in our 04 car and didnt in the 00 car, no noticable difference in speed. (but then again we arent that fast), but we left the windows in the 07 car so we will see. I did pick up one of the rear quarters with the NACA duct in it and will install for the next event. I will let you guys know if it helps any.

Chris
Old 09-21-2007, 10:21 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone ever seen a 'cool balaclava'? I have heard of them, but never seen them..

Quick Reply: How do you keep cool ?