Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

How do you keep cool ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 07:54 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I ran this weekend at Buttonwillow without the windows for the first time. I really liked hearing both my car and the surrounding cars. Without looking I could tell when the 2 RSR's on the track were coming up behind me.....

As for cooling, I noticed it mostly in the pits or on grid. There didn't seem to be a lot of wind coming into the cabin at speed and I never felt any buffeting. I wish I had removed them sooner....
Well, it's not like I haven't been telling you to do so!
Old 09-27-2007, 11:17 AM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For God's sake does anyone know where the side air duct connects under the dash !! : )
Old 09-27-2007, 12:53 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyT
For God's sake does anyone know where the side air duct connects under the dash !! : )
I have the disc with all of the 996 cup car parts/#'s and diagrams, etc., I will open it up when I get home and pm you
Old 09-27-2007, 01:39 PM
lone wolf
Advanced

total myth that running no side windows creates drag. from a very good source at Porsche. just like the 'ram-air' effect is negligible on engine intakes......all has to do with pressure equalization......
take the windows out and be more comfortable, but its still hot as hell.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:39 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by lone wolf
total myth that running no side windows creates drag. from a very good source at Porsche. just like the 'ram-air' effect is negligible on engine intakes......all has to do with pressure equalization......
take the windows out and be more comfortable, but its still hot as hell.
If that was the case, which it ain't, then an awful lot of Pcars running at Le Mans would remove their side windows - they don't for a very good reason. The reason is so good we now have race cars with aircon systems.

Sometimes, people who ought to know better, put out misleading information, for all sorts of reasons, a bit like running a competition during project meetings to introduce a new and meaningless TLA that others use. In this case it might have been FTY.

R+C
Old 09-27-2007, 02:47 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

I have the disc with all of the 996 cup car parts/#'s and diagrams, etc., I will open it up when I get home and pm you

that's fantastic. where can i get one of those discs ? thank you
Old 10-02-2007, 07:41 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

How much of a bigger helmet do you need to fit inside? I noticed a difference with just a plain baclava.

Originally Posted by jmorris3
Found it, it's a cool shirt with a hood:

http://www.apexperformance.net/cartgenie/prod-1198.htm
Old 09-14-2011, 08:21 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

sorry to revive a dead thread, but it seemed fairly on point and many on here seem to have the knowledge on the following:

whats the best way to remove the lexan window from the door? i assume its a fairly strong epoxy? give it a little heat , perhaps with a heat gun?
other ideas?

also, what kind of fasteners are you using to attach the window and be able to remove it from time to time? i think there are those 1/4 turn aircraft fasteners that pop up. i forgot what they're called.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:45 PM
bperry
Instructor

Originally Posted by spg993tt

also, what kind of fasteners are you using to attach the window and be able to remove it from time to time? i think there are those 1/4 turn aircraft fasteners that pop up. i forgot what they're called.
don't know how to remove the window but the fasteners you are referring to are called Dzus clips or fasteners. I've seen them used in that application.

Quick Reply: How do you keep cool ?