Sponsored by:

996 Cup Power Steering Troubleshooting Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2024, 04:15 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 310 Posts
Default 996 Cup Power Steering Troubleshooting Help Needed

I'm not sure how long it's been this way but during this past weekends racing I was really noticing how much effort it was to move the wheel and I'm pretty sure it isn't working anymore. It is the factory hydraulic PS pump system and I've not noticed any leaks anywhere which has me stumped as to what is going on.

To be fair, this system has been a bit of a hassle since day one when I picked the car up, at that point the reservoir was so over filled it spewed PS fluid all over the place during a shake down run. Then once I got the fluid level corrected it used to groan when I was turning in the pits (might have been groaning when I was on track too but the engine was too loud for me to notice). Now there's no groaning but the effort is higher than I expect it should be.

Any thoughts on where to start?
Old 06-25-2024, 06:02 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,380 Likes on 1,766 Posts

Isnt it the electric pump system in the frunk? They r a pretty simple system and it sounds like yours is failing. Used systems r floating around and some use a trw pump from a volvo(i think) as a replacement because its basically the same for a fraction of the cost.

To my knowledge there is no one that repairs these units.
Old 06-25-2024, 06:42 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 310 Posts

My car still has hydraulic power steering, not electric.
Old 06-25-2024, 08:55 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,380 Likes on 1,766 Posts

I assume u have checked fluid level again? If its low u have leak somewhere. If its good then i would say the pump is bad internaly and needs to be replaced. Maybe its a good time to switch to electric .

Only other thing i can think of is there is a restriction preventing flow but thats hard to do in a closed system. Also if u dont feel an issue through the steering wheel from the rack i would say that its fine too.

Quick Reply: 996 Cup Power Steering Troubleshooting Help Needed