Sponsored by:

Corner balance question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2024, 08:42 PM
wxq99
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Corner balance question

I know it is all about compromise but this question has confused me a while. I am able to achieve perfect cross weight while maintaining my left and right hand side ride height within 1mm delta. However the LF+LR weight is heavier than the other side, I am sure it is due to driver weight. My question is if it is correct to keep things like that or should I trade off some ride height (2-3mm) to have a more equal weight on both sides.

PS: It is a car with FIA GT3 level aero so downforce is a thing which means it is ride heigh sensitive....

Last edited by wxq99; 06-18-2024 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-19-2024, 01:40 AM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by wxq99
I know it is all about compromise but this question has confused me a while. I am able to achieve perfect cross weight while maintaining my left and right hand side ride height within 1mm delta. However the LF+LR weight is heavier than the other side, I am sure it is due to driver weight. My question is if it is correct to keep things like that or should I trade off some ride height (2-3mm) to have a more equal weight on both sides.

PS: It is a car with FIA GT3 level aero so downforce is a thing which means it is ride heigh sensitive....

You can't change left / right (or front / rear) weight distribution with ride height adjustment, only by physically moving weight (eg ballast). You can only change the cross weights. If for example, you raise the RF, the RF and LR weight will go up, LF and RR will go down a corresponding amount.

The sum of front (or rear) weights always remains constant, as does the total weight and left (or right) weight when adjusting spring perches.
The following users liked this post:
carbondan (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 02:56 AM
wxq99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by claykos
You can't change left / right (or front / rear) weight distribution with ride height adjustment, only by physically moving weight (eg ballast). You can only change the cross weights. If for example, you raise the RF, the RF and LR weight will go up, LF and RR will go down a corresponding amount.

The sum of front (or rear) weights always remains constant, as does the total weight and left (or right) weight when adjusting spring perches.
As there is no weight I can move at this point, this is basically the best result I can achieve, is that correct?
Old 06-19-2024, 03:11 PM
CSM Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by wxq99
As there is no weight I can move at this point, this is basically the best result I can achieve, is that correct?
You got it, that's correct! Elephant Racing has a nice write-up about it.
https://www.elephantracing.com/tech-...orner-balance/

"Suspension setup is complex, the tools shouldn't be. Our innovative setup equipment makes the process simple, repeatable, precise, and stress-free."

Colton@CSMPerformance.com
https://csmperformance.com/

Old 06-19-2024, 11:27 PM
wxq99
Rennlist Member

Got it, thank you guys!

Quick Reply: Corner balance question