Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

997.2 Endurance racing package

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2023 | 02:06 AM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Default 997.2 Endurance racing package

I just received my 7.2 Cup and I am currently in the discovery stage.

This car has the endurance racing package, but what does this mean? What are the hardware differences?

From what I have seen it has two fuel pumps and filters mounted in the front tub area that I don’t see on other 7.2 Cups. Are these completely separate systems, such that if the primary pump was to die then the driver can switch over to the auxiliary or do I have that wrong and both are running all the time?

My switch panel has the regular fuel pump switch at the top (per manual) which is placed into Bosch position which runs the pump when the car is running. I also have another switch at the bottom labeled “in tank pumps service” which I don’t understand the purpose. If I switch to ON then the pump runs with just the ignition on and the car is not running.

I am hoping someone can clarify the extent of the endurance racing package and also is that bottom switch related? Also when should that bottom switch be used?

🙏

My switch panel
Old 12-11-2023 | 09:35 AM
Ed@Demonspeed
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Your in take pump at the bottom would be a scavenge pump. This pumps fuel from one corner (or many corners) of the fuel cell into a flapper box that captures as much fuel as possible so that you do not have fuel starvation in corners when your fuel is lower.

As far as the endurance package ? I am not sure. You have ABS, which is not standard for a 997. But, I am not familiar with an endurance package.

Thanks

Ed

https://www.goodaero.com/
Race Designed Aerodynamics

https://racingtirewarmers.com/
Win more races with tire warmers

Great products for racers by racers

ed@demonspeed.com

Demon Speed Motorsports is a proud sponsor of PCA and the Club Racing Program

Old 12-11-2023 | 11:30 AM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

There was no "endurance package" per se for those cars. Porsche delivered every car in the same way. The only option you could choose was to be fitted with PCCB´s/ Supercup exhaust directly from the factory.

Depending on the series they were entered Porsche offered a suspension-package for the Nordschleife (as used in Carrera World Cup 2011/ 2012/2013) and a Fuel cell as a retrofit (which has been installed in your car). For the MY 2012 and 2013 cars the fuel cell was also included as standard.

The Bosch ABS M4 that is installed was never available through Porsche Motorsport. Documentation for this can be sourced via Bosch Motorsport.
Old 12-11-2023 | 01:21 PM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

🙏 for the fast and informative responses

My cars setup, I assume the “main” and “reserve” are fuel pumps

Last edited by Ecosse911; 12-11-2023 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-11-2023 | 01:24 PM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

So your suggesting the bottom in tank switch should be ON. I was just a little confused to why it gets powered after ignition ON and not like the main pump that’s only runs which the engine is running

Originally Posted by Ed@Demonspeed
Your in take pump at the bottom would be a scavenge pump. This pumps fuel from one corner (or many corners) of the fuel cell into a flapper box that captures as much fuel as possible so that you do not have fuel starvation in corners when your fuel is lower.

As far as the endurance package ? I am not sure. You have ABS, which is not standard for a 997. But, I am not familiar with an endurance package.

Thanks

Ed
Old 12-11-2023 | 01:29 PM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Possibly I picked up some mis information as I saw a couple of cars listed with the “endurance package” with the same fueling setup and I jumped to a conclusion.

I appear to have a main and reserve pump which I thought does fit well with endurance (reliability). I will check which pump is running when I switch on main pump switch.

Originally Posted by Yannick-HST
There was no "endurance package" per se for those cars. Porsche delivered every car in the same way. The only option you could choose was to be fitted with PCCB´s/ Supercup exhaust directly from the factory.
Old 12-11-2023 | 02:19 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

My car had the "endurance package". from what I recall the change were the calipers which took larger pads than the normal Cup. I dont think they were RSR spec brakes but it was between the Cup and the RSR.

Service pump is for pump out of the cell. Or could be used in case of emergency/failure.
Old 12-11-2023 | 05:56 PM
markmark26
Rennlist Member

come on, no pictures of the car ?
Old 12-11-2023 | 06:28 PM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Keeping you in suspense.. actually I literally picked it up on Friday, stuck it in my garage. It’s already apart to fix some stuff in anticipation of its first outing this weekend. In the meantime a picture that the seller took. Once I have it out in its natural habitat I will post up some pics

Originally Posted by markmark26
come on, no pictures of the car ?

The following 2 users liked this post by Ecosse911:
CSM Performance (12-12-2023), Juan Lopez (12-12-2023)
Old 12-11-2023 | 06:45 PM
markmark26
Rennlist Member

nice, my 997.2 Cup will probably arrive next week
Old 12-11-2023 | 06:55 PM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by markmark26
nice, my 997.2 Cup will probably arrive next week
😎 post some pics. I wonder if I will recognize yours, as it seemed I looked at every 7.2 Cup that was openly marketed

Last edited by Ecosse911; 12-12-2023 at 10:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Coop (12-12-2023)
Old 12-12-2023 | 10:56 AM
Ed@Demonspeed
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ecosse911
So your suggesting the bottom in tank switch should be ON. I was just a little confused to why it gets powered after ignition ON and not like the main pump that’s only runs which the engine is running
Correct. The car will run fine with it off, but you will not have as good of scavenging without it on.

Thanks

Ed
Juan Lopez (12-12-2023)
Old 12-12-2023 | 11:06 AM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

👍 I investigated more yesterday and you are correct. The bottom “in tank” switch does not activate either main or reserve pumps (volt meter) in the front tub. When the in tank switch is on the sound is mainly coming from below but more important it does not increase the fuel rail pressure (main & reserve pump off), which concludes your explanation is correct. 🙏

Originally Posted by Ed@Demonspeed
Correct. The car will run fine with it off, but you will not have as good of scavenging without it on.

Thanks

Ed
Old 12-12-2023 | 11:20 AM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

One last piece of understanding remains, the primary purpose of the reserve pump.

With the switch panel in the state below, fuel reserve button pressed in and illuminated the top fuel pump switch activates the “Main” fuel pump only. When the fuel reserve button is released out and light goes off the top fuel pump switch activates the “reserve” fuel pump only.

So is the reserve fuel pump simply a backup incase the main pump fails, thus providing system redundancy? Or does the reserve pickup pipe go deeper into the fuel cell to get the very last drop of fuel out when running out of fuel?

Fuel reserve button inset and illuminated

Individual fuel pickup pipes for the main and reserve pumps

Old 12-12-2023 | 04:27 PM
Racecarsforyou
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Pump Instructions

Glad to see the car arrived from New Zealand all ok.

"Endurance Package" is a term that applied to a lot in AU / NZ / Asia cars as it was an option to receive these cars without the "Endurance style" fuel cell .. you would typically receive these cars in those markets with the stock street car style plastic tank unless specifically requested the "fuel cell"

There were some other "Cup S" or MR type options available as well, but typically as an after purchase option. Some of these options available from Porsche Motorsport or Manthey ( and where mandatory in some series such as ADAC etc ) M4 ABS, Rear wing gurney, front dive plans, PCCB Brakes, throttle blipper for downshifts, heated front windshield, oil tank level electronic display, carbon clutch etc etc ...

Regards your question about the tank switch.. ...

The intank pumps ( as @Ed@Demonspeed said ) control the 3 ( or 4 depending on the version of tank you have ) in tank fuel pumps.. these fill a surge bowl which then overflows into a reserve bowl ( roughly 3 litres but there were some variances in tank options ) , which then overflows into the main tank again.

There are 2 switches that control the main pumps. The first control / toggle in between the 2 bosch 044 pumps in the front.. one for main tank reservoir and one for reserve tank / bowl ( In some cars this reserve switch was actually the Hazard light switch )

For both the Main / Reserve and In tank pump operations flipping the switch from Bosch to Service you can drain the tank or test the fuel system without the engine running..

Bosch position means the ECU is taking control of the fuel pump and only turns them on when the ecu sees RPM from the crank sensor.. in service position they run all the time

Here is a link to the technical and parts manuals .. Some of the parts manuals only show the plastic fuel tank, some only show the fuel cell style

Tech Manual
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/fqmlm...nm5xcfdbo&dl=0

Parts Book
https://www.dropbox.com/t/7pxpm1u3rSITztuh

Watch our latest reel on Instagram:
http://www.instagram.com/racecarsforyou

Like & follow our Facebook page:
http://www.racecarsforyou.com

Juan Lopez (12-13-2023)

Quick Reply: 997.2 Endurance racing package