Looking for suggestion of dedicated track car

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 12:43 AM
wxq99
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I have the car for you.
the fastest 2019 718 GT4 Cayman in the country.

don’t waste your time looking at anything else in your price point.

For doing 20 track days a year the clubsport will perform and progress you forward. No fooling around with engine or tranny rebuilds.

Forget Cup. anything with a sequential is going to cost you service. Forget street car. For 20 days of track you will be better off with roll cage clubsport for safety and resale. Nobody wants a beat on RS especially when you are done hauling it out of a tire wall.

You have a really nice car but I think I am not quite into the that price range yet, especially with the fact that I am not going to get into competition, this is really for fun.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:50 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 372 Posts

have you considered Radical?
fast lap times, reliable, uses little consumables, good racing series too.
I know it is not a Porsche.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:08 AM
wxq99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbodan
have you considered Radical?
fast lap times, reliable, uses little consumables, good racing series too.
I know it is not a Porsche.
You mean open cockpit car? It will be solely my problem. It took me 10 years since my last crash to be comfortable to get back into a race car again. I think I may not be ready to try any open cockpit in the short feature.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:03 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by wxq99
That's very true! Thank you for reminding me.

That's one of the reason I am considering factory built race car. Another reason is because I am tired of all kinds of modifications, I just want something ready to enjoy now.

It looks like the any CUP car with sequential (high running cost) and road car (no full cage) are really off the table now. So I will be looking between 996 CUP and 981/718 clubsport. A bit surprised that not even one mentioned McLaren but I think I know the reason. There is one 570 GT4 for sell at $190K at McLaren Houston. It is very good price for a brand new factory built McLaren race car but I am wondering if I will be in the rabbit hole if I get this one:

https://www.mclarenhouston.com/new-H...13CAT6HW007640
a good 996 cup is THE car to have for track days IF you desire a manual transmission car.

Otherwise, a PDK clubsport cayman will get you around just as quick.

the Mclaren is expensive to purchase (new) and equally expensive on replacement parts.
The only gripe is that their car is more “street car” then “race” given their ABS brake system, traction control and power windows. It can do well in racing as it has shown, but for sure would make a fun track day car too. not a car to be overlooked if you are not worried about finding a place to race in afterwards.

Last edited by tcsracing1; 02-23-2021 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:14 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

You have a really nice car but I think I am not quite into the that price range yet, especially with the fact that I am not going to get into competition, this is really for fun.
truth be told, my cayman really needs to be in the racing arena while it is still current.
I have big dollar spares to support it and would be more benefit to a team running it competitively. But would be a baller track day car
The following users liked this post:
zracer196 (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 07:48 PM
MC129
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Here's another good option for you- https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...x51-motor.html
zracer196 (02-23-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 07:56 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

BGB has a 4.25L 981 Cayman. It is their in house demo car. Pristine fit and finish.
full cage with race seats and license plate. You can track this car and drive it to cars n coffee!

PDK with clubsport software Updates
KMP quick release wheel. Full meal deal suspension, exhaust, doors, wing, side air intakes.

this thing is turn key. It drives bad ***. It would eat my 718 clubsport alive. Simple and reliable.

this is a car you would enjoy as your track car and you can use it on the street as a bonus. For filling up with pump gas, Lunch runs from the track etc.

For the money, this is really worth considering. Bare in mind it might not be a factory car, but it is more car and less money then a factory car and it still can be used in PCA club racing in GT3 or you can convert it to an awesome PCA club racing GTB1 car.

Old 02-24-2021, 10:39 AM
wxq99
Rennlist Member

BGB has a 4.25L 981 Cayman. It is their in house demo car. Pristine fit and finish.
full cage with race seats and license plate. You can track this car and drive it to cars n coffee!

PDK with clubsport software Updates
KMP quick release wheel. Full meal deal suspension, exhaust, doors, wing, side air intakes.

this thing is turn key. It drives bad ***. It would eat my 718 clubsport alive. Simple and reliable.

this is a car you would enjoy as your track car and you can use it on the street as a bonus. For filling up with pump gas, Lunch runs from the track etc.

For the money, this is really worth considering. Bare in mind it might not be a factory car, but it is more car and less money then a factory car and it still can be used in PCA club racing in GT3 or you can convert it to an awesome PCA club racing GTB1 car.
Did you mean that Cayman S in yellow?
Old 02-24-2021, 12:05 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Did you mean that Cayman S in yellow?
yup, the yellow cayman S.
I drove it last month around the industrial park at BGB. It was a rocketship thrill ride.

worth making an offer IMO
Old 02-24-2021, 12:43 PM
wxq99
Rennlist Member

yup, the yellow cayman S.
I drove it last month around the industrial park at BGB. It was a rocketship thrill ride.

worth making an offer IMO
I was seriously considered that car but this company is a kind of strange to deal with (no offend since I don't know them). I saw the car on facebook then asked them if it is still available because the fb post was back to last year, no reply at all. This Monday, I decided to write an email and tell them I am not some random guy, Wray replied me saying he is forwarding my inquiry to John. I then asked if I can talk to them on the phone asking for some questions, so far I am still waiting for an answer. Maybe I am too getting used to the overwhelming car dealers
Old 02-24-2021, 08:37 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

I was seriously considered that car but this company is a kind of strange to deal with (no offend since I don't know them). I saw the car on facebook then asked them if it is still available because the fb post was back to last year, no reply at all. This Monday, I decided to write an email and tell them I am not some random guy, Wray replied me saying he is forwarding my inquiry to John. I then asked if I can talk to them on the phone asking for some questions, so far I am still waiting for an answer. Maybe I am too getting used to the overwhelming car dealers
I had BGB go and pick up my two new cup cars at Porsche in Atlanta so I would say that is why they have not got back to you yet.

They are an honest shop as is the car.

They know caymans inside out.
ProCoach (02-25-2021)

Quick Reply: Looking for suggestion of dedicated track car