Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

FS: 2008 997.1 Cup

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 04:28 PM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I can add a little to the cars history. The car was first purchased and ran a season in the IMSA Patron series, I purchased the car from the original owner and ran it for a season in the Pirelli Drivers Cup series as well as NASA.
I believe the car had about 80 hours on the motor before I had PMNA rebuild it. I refreshed the car and sold it to a Tom ? in northern Ca, Tom then won the SCCA runoff as well as some Pirelli Drivers events. I lost contact with the car and surprisingly it ended up in Phoenix. I can attest the car never had any major damage during the first two ownership.

Hope this helps GLWS.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:36 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

The 997 Cups seem to be a bit maligned by a lot of misinformation regarding required rebuild intervals and fragility of the gearbox. Potential buyers of this car will be forced to run outside of GTC-4 due to the paddles and that may scare some away due to the cars it would compete with. I loved my 997 Cup and hope this one finds the buyer who appreciates the great attributes it offers for not a lot of money.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:51 PM
Fatbro
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Interested. Might be time to upgrade from the 81 E car.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:06 PM
roddw
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Surfbum
I can add a little to the cars history. The car was first purchased and ran a season in the IMSA Patron series, I purchased the car from the original owner and ran it for a season in the Pirelli Drivers Cup series as well as NASA.
I believe the car had about 80 hours on the motor before I had PMNA rebuild it. I refreshed the car and sold it to a Tom ? in northern Ca, Tom then won the SCCA runoff as well as some Pirelli Drivers events. I lost contact with the car and surprisingly it ended up in Phoenix. I can attest the car never had any major damage during the first two ownership.

Hope this helps GLWS.
Thank you very much for more history on this car!
Yes, when Doug (Race Technik owner) and I went to look at the car in Portland, OR; the minute he plugged his laptop in, he remembered the car under your ownership in Phoenix. Appreciate you taking time to add to this thread.

Best,

Rodd
Old 03-01-2019, 09:24 PM
roddw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
The 997 Cups seem to be a bit maligned by a lot of misinformation regarding required rebuild intervals and fragility of the gearbox. Potential buyers of this car will be forced to run outside of GTC-4 due to the paddles and that may scare some away due to the cars it would compete with. I loved my 997 Cup and hope this one finds the buyer who appreciates the great attributes it offers for not a lot of money.
Thank you for your insight/expertise on the 997 Cups. Agreed, the paddles may kick the car out of certain classes-I made that change purely for my own skill set (or lack thereof) and may not have been a good decision from a resale standpoint. Same thinking when I installed the ABS-although if a Buyer wanted to take that out, it should be easy to do (and sell, for that matter).
When Bill Rader rebuilt the gearbox he recommended the wide gear set and hopefully that will give some added longevity to the box. Totally agree about the attributes of 997 Cups; bang for the buck, pretty hard to beat. Appreciate your comments!

Best Regards,

Rodd
Old 03-01-2019, 09:26 PM
roddw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fatbro
Interested. Might be time to upgrade from the 81 E car.

Thank you for your interest-just let me know if I can answer any questions or provide further pictures.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:17 AM
roddw
Rennlist Member

Guys, time to get this sweet Cup in your garage! I am so confident if you come and check the car, you will leave owning it; that I will pay your flight out to Phoenix (round trip/continental US). What do you have to lose-worse case take in a spring training game or just hang by the pool for a couple of days. Weather end of the week looks to be 75-80, got to be an improvement on just about 85% of the Country right now!

Please PM for details.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:11 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I am dead shocked this car hasn't sold. There is a definite softening on the Cup Board and others. I think that buyers are wary of the economy and the next couple quarters. Stagnant Regardless I love the car. GLWS! Josh
Old 03-14-2019, 12:16 AM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by gt2-josh
I am dead shocked this car hasn't sold. There is a definite softening on the Cup Board and others. I think that buyers are wary of the economy and the next couple quarters. Stagnant Regardless I love the car. GLWS! Josh
I agree. This is such a nice Cup.Those that want to compete may not want the paddle shift b/c change in class. Not a major item to change. I love this Cup but my "sports car" in my life is a Ford F350 and big boat.
Someone in So. Florida buy this Cup and race it in FARA. They class based on displacement period. Screw PCA racing. The FARA events here in So. Florida (Homestead Raceway) will draw 15 to 20,000 spectators. It is a huge party and multiple food vendors from the Americas. It is by far the most festive fun amateur race event.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:24 AM
roddw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RSRanger
I agree. This is such a nice Cup.Those that want to compete may not want the paddle shift b/c change in class. Not a major item to change. I love this Cup but my "sports car" in my life is a Ford F350 and big boat.
Someone in So. Florida buy this Cup and race it in FARA. They class based on displacement period. Screw PCA racing. The FARA events here in So. Florida (Homestead Raceway) will draw 15 to 20,000 spectators. It is a huge party and multiple food vendors from the Americas. It is by far the most festive fun amateur race event.
Sounds like the folks in South Florida know how to put on a race/party-20k fans-nice!!

Thanks for the comment!
Old 03-18-2019, 05:56 PM
Ricky Boo-Boo Johnson
Racer

I just saw this car in person and looked it over TWICE - it is as nice or nicer than the pictures! Super clean, everything is buttoned and professionally done. It is a stunner in person. It stopped me in my tracks when I walked into the shop today!

He is giving this car away at that price point with the upgrades. I purchased a 2009 Cup and raced it this past weekend - it also has the paddle shift kit and ABS...you can really focus on the limits of the vehicle with these add-ons. Using the Bosch / Motec system allows the driver to really review the data and get very granular into the driving techniques that add up to taking tenths off!

You will not be disappointed and it is priced to move.

This car will move you physically and visually!
Old 03-18-2019, 07:53 PM
NSF
7th Gear

I was tempted to post several weeks ago about verifying some history on this particular car. After reading Surfbum's post, I feel more compelled. I've run several times alongside this 997, including the day when many of the posted photos were taken, and have spectated a good half dozen times in addition to that. I saw this car return to Arizona and in the few years I've seen it run, it's only run DE and some private track days. Zero incidents, meticulously maintained and run with great care. This is a great car for the price. I'm sad to see this one go, Rodd. GLWS.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:25 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Def appears to be a good car. It's a shame that the Canadian exchange rate is as bad as it is.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:52 PM
roddw
Rennlist Member

Default mid-week bump

New price guys
Old 03-29-2019, 12:07 AM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by roddw
New price guys
Man why is this Cup car still available?

Quick Reply: FS: 2008 997.1 Cup