Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

New to cup car world

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 01:04 AM
crashtest22
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

for me it depends on the mood. fast down is not harm if you have air in the tires.
sometimes I use the button on the pass side jack and let it down slow. I have not seen any damage/difference twixt the two
Old 06-05-2018, 01:23 AM
crashtest22
Rennlist Member

ok just read this again.
for us....
we are just me and the driver.
We have lots of cars and about 5 race cars most vintage and then the 2009 cup which is a 997.1
We bought the car well sorted from a well known team with 9 hours on the engine and around 30 on the gearbox.
After we bought the car we ran it at sears for a test day to get driver used to it then pulled the box and had copans refresh.
It had the old gears and was updated to the latest specs (2012ish) cost was around 13k.

since then we have run the car in club racing. I lowered the shift lights a few hundred rpm to save wear on engine and such.
Also the Chassis has about 140 hrs on it according to the ecu
we have done brakes several times including rotors and calipers due to wear on rotors and uneven wear on brake pads (calipers)
engine had been dropped this year for a failed oil cooler but only the cooler got changed (around 3k)

we just installed Megaline Paddles and Motorsport M4 ABS this year and had gearbox serviced.
Ring and Pinion was found to have pitting so standard service plus ring and pinion for around 12k. (30ish hours on gearbox)

other than that tires for us are good for about 3 cycles but we have pushed to 6 for practice.

other things we got for the car. Snap on torque wrench that is two piece and about 5 feet long and 600 bucks or more
a paoli regulator and hose for the jacks 1500ish I think...was years ago.

I think that is about it.
We are not pro racing the car and have about 46 hrs on the engine and still feels strong and good.
I have not done leak down or compression testing as of yet.
There have been many people club racing them and saying 100 hrs on engine is no problem.

I figure after this season I will check comp and leak down to verify no issues and unless driver gets a bug up his *** for more power would suspect
we will go another season on what we have.

I have also changed the whole clutch once due to learning curve and replaced it again for this season with tilton parts for a piece on mind.
old one was still fine.

really at the end of the day its all about tires, brakes, oil, and fuel.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:10 AM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by guardsredcab
Would appreciate your (or others') suggestions.

Thanks
Greg
The Precision Instrument unit is nice. Reasonable price. Also I would invest in a used Paoli Air Gun. Even though your putting on the nuts at 360ish ft lbs, even with the correct Porsche lube it can take a LOT more to get them off. Customer when he first went out alone could not get nuts off without he and his girlfriend on end of Snap-on big torque wrench. The Paoli is nice with the 1" mandrel that fits the wheel nut socket with no step ups that lose torque.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:31 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcD147
So let me ask the rookie question: what is the proper way to drop the car from the air jacks?

Besides getting your toes clear.
Well, it looks really cool when you just drop it down hard and fast. However, you might have air on the tires and many other things but why would you subject the suspension, frame and all else to the added stress? If you are not racing pro, the extra seconds to bleed of slowly make a lot of sense. There are a lot of components which are stressed parts on a race car.

One of my crew members (part of a very well known and successful pro-team) cringes everytime he sees someone slamming the car when not in a race situation. He releases pressure very gradually by hand.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:38 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Torque wrenches, please remember that click type wrenches must be brought down to 0 after use. And yes, it is good practice to have them calibrated periodically.

IMHO, for our application, stay away from the fancy digital or dial type wrenches. Those are great for work in the shop. At the track, click type since they are sturdier.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:53 AM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I have the Snap-on TQR600E which doesn't need to be brought to zero after use and it goes to 600 ft-lbs. For removal I've found my Milwaukee 18v 1/2 drive impact takes them off fine and doesn't require an air or N2 source. As Juan says, no need for digital for this application. Check out CDI torque wrenches too, they are owned by Snap-on.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:44 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
The Precision Instrument unit is nice. Reasonable price. Also I would invest in a used Paoli Air Gun. Even though your putting on the nuts at 360ish ft lbs, even with the correct Porsche lube it can take a LOT more to get them off. Customer when he first went out alone could not get nuts off without he and his girlfriend on end of Snap-on big torque wrench. The Paoli is nice with the 1" mandrel that fits the wheel nut socket with no step ups that lose torque.
On this topic, how much grease are we supposed to apply to the nut? I’ve been smearing on the stub axle thread, the nut thread and the mating surfaces of the nut and wheel washer. Is too much a bad thing? Should this be done every time you torque the wheels?
Old 06-05-2018, 08:57 PM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

My understanding from the factory docs is to use anti-seize. I'm guessing the Wurth copper stuff should work, but I'll defer to those who have been doing this a while.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:15 PM
crashtest22
Rennlist Member

I use the permatex copper anti seize and put it on the face of the nut and the face of the washer.
I use just enough to not splatter everywhere at speed.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:19 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
Thanks for the tip Bob. Hadn't heard of Precision Instruments. Price is quite a bit lower than Snap On (even cheaper on Amazon) and it has a 1" drive to avoid the step up. What I can't tell from their online description (support line closes at 3:30 pm!) is whether it can be used both clockwise and CCW, which would be necessary for the 991s. Do you happen to know?

C5D600F

1" Drive Split-beam Click Wrench

– Drive Size: 1"

– Drive Type: Detachable ratchet

– Capacity: 200-600 lb.ft.

– Increments: 10 lb.ft.

– Price: $ 600.00

Old 06-06-2018, 10:18 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Appreciate all the input. Very encouraging. But nobody has addressed the issue of draining fluids. I've seen references to defueling, coolant extraction, etc. What's this all about?
Old 06-07-2018, 01:04 AM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

@guardsredcab - I suspect it's clockwise only.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:44 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ken89911T
Appreciate all the input. Very encouraging. But nobody has addressed the issue of draining fluids. I've seen references to defueling, coolant extraction, etc. What's this all about?
We always empty the cells on all race cars (not only Cups) for storage. Fuel does funny things to bladders.......
Old 06-11-2018, 10:50 AM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rebrewer
@guardsredcab - I suspect it's clockwise only.
And you would suspect wrong.... The Precision does CW and CCW. I use for all 991 Cups center locks. Albeit a little quirky, but works fast and fine....
Old 06-11-2018, 12:18 PM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

Thanks, good to know. Interesting that the Snap-on is for CW use only. I was in the Cup pits this weekend at Montreal. I should have looked to see what they were using.

Quick Reply: New to cup car world