Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S Track Car in Sydney Australia

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 05:59 PM
Paul Dortkamp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cayman S Track Car in Sydney Australia

I am a long time Rennlist member and appreciate all the assistance given with my 1990 and 1978 928s. I sold the 1990 S4 in June and purchased a MY 2011 Cayman, along the way (in May 2014) I came across a Cayman for a track car, a 2006 Cayman S. Here is a pic. I will turn the 2006 Cayman S into a log booked tarmac rally car so it will need some work done. The plan is to remove interior, add CAMS compliant roll cage, respray roll cage and exterior white, put basic interior back in and go racing.

The picture was taken in the professional mechanical workshop where the car is stored.
Attached Images  
Old 12-26-2014, 06:21 PM
Paul Dortkamp
Instructor

July 2014. The windscreen and most the interior was removed to allow for the installation of the roll cage. The dashboard was left in, but Bond Roll cages asked if they could remove it to allow better fitting of the roll cage. The roll cage was made to the highest standard with the extra roof and front uprights required under the CAMS rally requirements. The old GT3 seat was installed to allow the fitment of the cage around the seat. A neat touch was the subtle bend away from the seat and towards the doors.

After the cage was done the car was trucked from the cage manufacturer to the spray painter. The pictures were taken at the panel shop after the car had been delivered there.
Attached Images    
Old 12-27-2014, 05:06 PM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 58 Posts

hi that's a good cage Paul. This car looks a really interesting start for a build. I fast car potentially.

Any further progress since the pics above?
Old 12-27-2014, 08:24 PM
Paul Dortkamp
Instructor

Yes Mark, more action since then. Painting was done in August.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:50 PM
Paul Dortkamp
Instructor

August 2014. Painting took a while,as there were a few extra things to do. The hood (bonnet to us in Australia) had been wrapped to the unpainted surface and that had to be removed and prepared. The joins in the roof area above the windscreen had not been glued which would have allowed water to seep in and potential movement and cracking of the screen. Consensus was that it was damage from being rolled, which was no surprise to us. Some of the previous panel repairs and paint had to be reworked. We kept the budget in check by reminding the painter that this was a race car not a show car.

The colour decision was for a white race car, the black is so much hotter on the track and the white looks clean and very classic.

To preserve the road car look, a lot of the stuff we took out is going back in and I have been nominated to do the dashboard.
Attached Images     
Old 12-28-2014, 05:27 PM
modoz61
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Paul
your build is going to be something quite special by the looks of things

great work

looking forward to seeing it run in anger!
Old 12-28-2014, 07:54 PM
MC 968CS
Pro

I second that! Keep this thread going too, it makes for fun holiday reading as we see the car transformed! God luck with it next season Paul.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:04 AM
rackhenry
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love build threads! Keep the pics coming!
Old 12-31-2014, 07:21 PM
Paul Dortkamp
Instructor

September 2014. Door trims.
I want the Cayman interior to have a stock look and feel rather than the minimalist race car look that the 78 928. Now that the Cayman is back at the workshop I have good access to it and my first task is the door trims. My objective is to use as much of the original trim as possible, fortunately the trims are made of three major pieces held together with big plastic spot welds. The door pocket was easy to remove and gave more clearance.

I loosely fitted the LHS piece and marked it up where the roll cage was making contact, the front part of arm rest could be retained by peeling off some leatherette and trimming off a small bit underneath.
Attached Images   
Old 01-02-2015, 10:47 PM
Paul Dortkamp
Instructor

The next stage was more confronting, the tool of choice was a small angle grinder with a 1mm blade, I cut out a large section in the lower front where the big speaker was mounted and retained the mid speaker and grille. I had a few goes at this, slowly enlarging the hole, test fitting and leaving some clearance for the covering. A real bonus was the clearance around the door handle and window switches. A recent requirement for CAMS roll cages is an extra straight bar running from the base of the A pillar up to the side bar at the roof. This bar fitted perfectly into the recess in the trim in front of the door handle.
Attached Images     
Old 01-03-2015, 06:41 AM
MC 968CS
Pro

Given the comment about the a pillar bar, has there been changes to the cage since the pics shown?

What sort of events now require that cage change?
Old 01-03-2015, 07:54 PM
Paul Dortkamp
Instructor

The cage was built to the current requirements effective from January 2014. Bond Roll Bars knew all about it as it applies to all new cages for logbooks. My description was not too accurate, the extract of the the rules is below. (I can't get the image into this post.)

GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR CARS AND DRIVERS
Schedule J - Safety Cage Structures

12. SPECIFICATIONS – CLOSED SPORTS AND TOURING CARS
12.2.1 Compulsory Members and Reinforcements:
(d) Windscreen Pillar Reinforcement:
For National Championship and National Series level Race, Rally and Off Road competitions (and recommended in other competitions):
A windscreen pillar reinforcement member shall be fitted on each side of the front roll bar if dimension “A” is greater than 200mm (refer Drawing J-17).
The windscreen pillar reinforcement member may be bent on condition that it is straight in side view and that the angle of the bend does not exceed 20°.
Its upper end shall be less than 100mm from the junction between the front (lateral) roll bar and the longitudinal (transversal) member (refer Drawing J-62 for the measurement).
Its lower end shall be within 100mm of the front mounting foot.

9 GENERAL REQUIREMENTS – SCHEDULE J: SAFETY CAGE STRUCTURES Last updated: 01/01/2014

Last edited by Paul Dortkamp; 01-04-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:53 AM
AD 060
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Bond cage and the car look great in white, Paul.
What plans for suspension & brakes, LSD etc?
I assume you'll enter the car in PCNSW super sprints when it's finished?
Keep up the thread & pics.

Last edited by AD 060; 01-04-2015 at 09:59 AM. Reason: * *
Old 01-07-2015, 04:00 AM
Paul Dortkamp
Instructor

Plans at this stage are for suspension only. The RHS front strut is slightly bent and I considered just changing one strut, but went for a new set of high end Bislteins, which will arrive in January. Brakes, LSD gearbox etc will be done once the 2015 season ends.

I will be running the Cayman in the PCNSW Supersprints and once it is sorted out I will run in a couple of Production Sport Races. My objective for January is to get it CAMS log booked and ready for testing at the ARDC track days. I expect lots of gremlins to be in residence.

I have some pictures of the dash on hand, so will get those up soon.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:56 PM
Paul Dortkamp
Instructor

September 2014.Now for the decorative trimming; I visited my local Bunnings hardware store and purchased a piece of black car carpet with a short fine fibre which is similar to the existing carpet. The complex shape of the section meant that I went with a multi piece design rather than just one piece; there are a lot of hills and valleys to accommodate the existing contours and the roll cage. I put a smaller triangular piece up near the door handle and a larger rectangular piece along the base. I used a combination of trim clips, glue and the door pull to hold it all in place. At the ends I wrapped it around and used small self tapers on the inside. As I was going along, I sprayed on some Protectant 303 which cleaned up the vinyl trim and gave it some fresh lustre. I am pleased with the result, there are a couple of imperfections, but it is a track car.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Cayman S Track Car in Sydney Australia