Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iSimple Tranzit BLU HF: A decent alternative to MOST interface for Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 10:09 PM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vito, Quick question. The white wire in your photo above, is that the ground wire connection for the tranzit that is attached to the frame? If so, I like that idea instead of cutting into the wiring harness for the PCM. Please confirm. I am waiting on the antenna parts before I can do my install.
Thanks
Old 02-29-2016, 10:58 AM
phsingl
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

I've just finished an install of the hard wired (lightning connector) versus the BT version of the Tranzit in my 2009 GTS. Many thanks OP for the thread that removed my concerns that this might be a tough job.

I chose the non-BT version as my car already has BT (no audio) in the PCM.

Of note I have PCM 3.0 and the connections at the rear are completely different to the PCM 2.x. Of most concern is the number of antenna connections (4!) covering FM, Sat, GPS and (I think) OEM USB audio.

I can now leave the phone paired to the PCM and calls come through via the stock mic/speakers and I can listen to Apple Music/Spotify etc via the FM modulator. Switching between sources is seamless. Once a call ends the audio stream is restored... Unfortunately this version of the Tranzit does not appear to support song/artist info, or the PCM3 doesn't decode/display.

My biggest issue is the fact that in NYC the FM frequencies are so crowded that I still get residual leakage when listening to the iPhone. Especially noticeable between songs and from time to time becomes really annoying to the point I switch back to CD. Does the same occur with the BT version of the device?

Pics to follow...
Old 02-29-2016, 11:07 AM
phsingl
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

PCM removal straightforward (thanks to OP and YouTube videos)

Connections at rear. Antenna connections on LHS are GPS, SAT and FM. Green connector is the Fakra connector from eBay.

Orange is MOST fiber optic in the quadlock. I tapped the brown earth here. Power was from fuse box in the same manner as the OP. <br/>I believe the yellow Fakra is for usb audio although I find that odd give it's an analog RF connection. I do wonder if it could be enabled and leverage the output from the Tranziit clear of the FM circuit path?
Old 05-09-2016, 12:16 PM
James Yoo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did anyone have to do anything with the cradle/harness plastic bracket in the back of the PCM cavity? I got everything wired up and all works, but haven't been able to push the headunit all the way back in. The Metra adapter coming off the headunit is hitting the the cradle/harness in the back. All other wires and module are tucked away. If I could find a Metra adapter that was 90* off the headunit vs straight, that would solve this problem. Or I could try to cut a hole for the adapter to fit through, or just cut the harness completely off. Ideas?
Old 05-09-2016, 04:32 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by James Yoo
Did anyone have to do anything with the cradle/harness plastic bracket in the back of the PCM cavity? I got everything wired up and all works, but haven't been able to push the headunit all the way back in. The Metra adapter coming off the headunit is hitting the the cradle/harness in the back. All other wires and module are tucked away. If I could find a Metra adapter that was 90* off the headunit vs straight, that would solve this problem. Or I could try to cut a hole for the adapter to fit through, or just cut the harness completely off. Ideas?
I had no issues other than making sure the added wiring was bundled tightly and as out of the way as possible. It did take a few attempts to get everything aligned so the PCM fit well. If it doesn't settle out, try using a wipe-off tell-tale marker (e.g. dabs of left-over latex paint) on the suspected interference to see what's hitting what.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:39 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

Just picked up all the bits. May install tomorrow.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:23 AM
Torre
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will the device function properly as a music streaming device if you do not connect the microphone and the green answering button? I'm looking for a cheap alternative for music streaming, but I do not want the aftermarket buttons or mics in my car.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:53 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

You can do without the microphone but the button helps set the function mode on the unit so it is necessary.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:34 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Torre
Will the device function properly as a music streaming device if you do not connect the microphone and the green answering button? I'm looking for a cheap alternative for music streaming, but I do not want the aftermarket buttons or mics in my car.
You can do without the mic, but I think you'd be sorry with no button for on/off. You can tuck it away unseen as a just-in-case. Or you can probably paint it to match the interior or fit a matching bit of fabric to it. It also advances the source to the next tune. Others in this thread have fitted the mic into the overhead console too.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:49 PM
jfort
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Button

I have one in a 997 and a Cayenne. Great for what they do. I have music and a few navigation apps on an iPad mini which I rotate between cars. I have the mic installed but given the iPad, I don't use it. But I can't imagine not having the button. Need it the cycle between radio and BT and to advance to next song.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:19 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jfort
Need it the cycle between radio and BT and to advance to next song.
That's an excellent point. When the Tranzit is on, it's using the PCM antenna circuit as the BT conduit and you have no FM broadcast reception. To listen to broadcast FM, the Tranzit has to be off.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:38 AM
Torre
Racer

Originally Posted by DWC in Sedona
That's an excellent point. When the Tranzit is on, it's using the PCM antenna circuit as the BT conduit and you have no FM broadcast reception. To listen to broadcast FM, the Tranzit has to be off.
So this thing actually works like the Porsches own aftermarket AUX device, and not like the more expensive bluetooth units?
Old 05-31-2016, 02:45 AM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Torre
So this thing actually works like the Porsches own aftermarket AUX device, and not like the more expensive bluetooth units?
I'm not familiar with the Porsche AUX unit. The Tranzit is hard-connected to the PCM's antenna input but the cell phone or iPod communicates with it via Bluetooth; wireless.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:52 AM
Torre
Racer

Originally Posted by DWC in Sedona
I'm not familiar with the Porsche AUX unit. The Tranzit is hard-connected to the PCM's antenna input but the cell phone or iPod communicates with it via Bluetooth; wireless.
Yeah, that's exactly how the Porsche AUX unit works.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:59 AM
Torre
Racer

I wonder if I could connect the button to the TV (AV) button somehow? It's useless anyway as the TV is Analogue, and my country's TV network is fully Digital.

Quick Reply: iSimple Tranzit BLU HF: A decent alternative to MOST interface for Bluetooth