Sponsored by:

Porsche Cayenne Reliability and Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 09:58 PM
Miamirice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
All car companies have their issues. My 5 year old BMW X5 has been in the shop for 1oo day as of today, this year.
Rear door handle is draining the battery for this past 14 day stay. They are changing out another two, when they come in, in 5-10 business day.

Dozens of complaint calls into BMW head office. Five phone calls this week into the dealer principal. Still nothing. No action is not an option.
Germans don't like being told about problems. What I hope they hate is embarrassment.

Some may find this funny, or a ******** move. I sent my car balloons at the dealership yesterday. I better check for bombs.... They are not happy with me. To note ... still no principal phone call after 36 hours. They have my number.
Hilarious!!!! Thanks. This made my day.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:23 PM
Mark7000
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I bought my 2010 v6 2 years ago this month with 75k miels on it. Was a 1 owner lady trade-in. I understood that since it was just out of warranty, she wanted a new one. Paid $21k for it and other than the cardan shaft center support bearing (just did the Jimi fix), have had nothing wrong. I almost had an issue with the variable ratio power steering, but this forum saved me. The relay was slightly loose (up under the dash by the steering column) and fixed it by pushing it back in place. I am now at 95k miles.

Just did a 3rd oil change since I have owned it and have replaced the tires and front pads (did those myself). Need to replace the front rotors - that will be easy to do. This thing is surprisingly solid and reliable so far. Fit and finish inside and out is fantastic.

Back in the late 1980's, early 1990's, I owned a 84 928S. It was also a very reliable vehicle and I daily drove it.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:44 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks Mark and good to add in and see guys driving these SUVs and liking them.

Yeah I dont or didn't mind working on my 951 or an air cooled 911 or race car or those kinds of cars.

But I don't really want to work on the wife's daily driver car no matter the brand or model. Even more I don't want to HAVE to have it worked on for big mechanical systems too much. Yeah there are good techs no question about it. But still putting these cars back to factory spec isn't always doable in the shop.

I always think one reason something like a Rover ( here in this thread ) has so much work done to it is that the more times it was torn down the more it was was going to be have to torn down again. If you start having higher precision tolerance parts go that they can't get right at the factory, you better have a very precision set up ( like a race shop ) to try to get it right. And that is not the dealers forte. His is changing out assemblies and parts.

But fun and thanks and great on you doing your own work too.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:19 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 326 Posts

TexasRider, I'm with you on not wanting to have to work on my wifes car.

I got her a Lexus GX470. Its needed nothing but basic maintenance since we've owned it and has close to 100k miles on it now.

I'm not a fan of how it drives compared to my Cayenne, but there's no denying its anvil like reliability.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:32 PM
Pepper Pig
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A game to explain cayenne reliability

Whackamole😀 U know that game when you hit a mole with a hammer only for him to pop up the through another hole. In one day it accumulates more reliability issues than my partners Nissan Note has done in 5 years and that’s been abused and driven around Europe several times a year and more than my 325ti in the last 7 years. I’ve always had a strong dislike of VW and Audi after past experience and there overrated ‘’reliability’ - my mates were massive fans, (yes the ones who were daily fixing their cars) I always heard ‘well they’re really reliable when they work’

There are more ‘common faults’ of the cayenne listed on this forum than the combined number of components used to build it.

You fix one thing only for another 2 completely different faults to appear the same day. I’m going to persevere but I don’t have much hope. This is a car with just 74k that has full service history. I have a 40 year old lotus eclat (Loads Of Trouble Usually Serious) and I’d trust the reliability of that more than this.

Its a a good job there’s this forum with lots of dedicated and helpful people or I’d have already torched the damned thing.😀

Tomorrow I tackle the compressor ring, then there will be another 2 new faults to fix. Lol
Old 01-28-2018, 03:48 AM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought I avoided most the problems with a newer Cayenne but seems I'm wrong, this is my third porsche and the worst Porsche I've ever owned. Door trim is popping off like a cheap dodge and now the rear wiper motor is making an awful noise every time I start the car even when the wiper is off.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:53 PM
Tennessee Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm sad to see all the folks who have had reliability issues. I have a 235,000 mile '06 CTTS that I love dearly (as a daily driver/bus/pickup). It has had every single one of the know issues, but it just keeps soldiering on happily. I bought it used (it was 39 months old) and just drive it. I have exactly zero desire to drive a flawless Japanese crossover that bores me to tears. I expect to spend some $$ on repairs; that is just the price to be paid to drive something I really like. As for things like trim falling off, I've had the two strips that run under the door fall off because of the cheap plastic clips that hold them on (2 minutes to fix), but not a single other trim issue that I can think of. I'm sure I'll jinx myself, but the A/C runs great, the tranny shifts like it should and the engine only consumes a couple of gallons of oil between gas fillups (yes, this was meant to be funny--it does consume a bunch of oil). PCM died last year--I popped in a Kenwood unit (ok, it was a royal pain in the neck to install) and voila, it has tunes with apple car play.
Enjoy!
Old 01-29-2018, 05:38 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Tennessee Turbo
I'm sad to see all the folks who have had reliability issues. I have a 235,000 mile '06 CTTS that I love dearly (as a daily driver/bus/pickup). It has had every single one of the know issues, but it just keeps soldiering on happily. I bought it used (it was 39 months old) and just drive it. I have exactly zero desire to drive a flawless Japanese crossover that bores me to tears. I expect to spend some $$ on repairs; that is just the price to be paid to drive something I really like. As for things like trim falling off, I've had the two strips that run under the door fall off because of the cheap plastic clips that hold them on (2 minutes to fix), but not a single other trim issue that I can think of. I'm sure I'll jinx myself, but the A/C runs great, the tranny shifts like it should and the engine only consumes a couple of gallons of oil between gas fillups (yes, this was meant to be funny--it does consume a bunch of oil). PCM died last year--I popped in a Kenwood unit (ok, it was a royal pain in the neck to install) and voila, it has tunes with apple car play.
Enjoy!
That is great to hear that she is still holding up at 235k! It seems like 99% of the cars that make it beyond 200k miles are owned by competent mechanics who do all their own work. Is that the case for you as well?
Old 01-30-2018, 05:12 PM
Tennessee Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Actually, no, I only do minor work myself. There is a tech here who has worked on my 944TS for almost 30 years and he does all the big stuff on the Cayenne--he is incredible. I do try to keep up on the maintenance, so that probably helps.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:43 PM
Gh0st0
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Hate to revive an old thread, but as a lurker and prospective cayenne buyer in the upcoming year(s), I find it pretty important to have a good amount of reliability for the amount of $$$ spent. I don't see it as too much to ask, given that maintenance and care is put into the vehicle. Lower cost cars have been seeming to adapt a fair amount of tech and great driving systems, but with the new 2.9 v6, I'm curious how it holds up as Audi is also using it too.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:44 AM
reachme
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Bought an 2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition in 2000, No towing but Triton engine needed to be rebuilt at about 20K miles. Known common problem so dealer covered it.
Then bought a Honda Pilot in 2010, No Towing but lower end needed to be rebuilt due to scoring at 40K miles, again common known issue, dealer covered 90%. Suspension gone at 60K,
Bought 2004 CTT at 60K in 2014, best one so far.

I don't count hood shocks, leaky coolant tanks, rt turn signal, yes I have had 50% of those regular items as on the other cars but I do much of that proactively due to the heads up, foolish to wait until it fails. I can't rebuild engine myself. The people impacted most seem to be those who pay a dealer and wait for it to fail (they go together I guess). Not saying they are bulletproof but I guess I have low expectations. Don't forget smiles per gallon factor too.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:49 PM
Uncle Jimmy
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You never know what you will get when you buy a used Cayenne, but I can't stop working on my 2007. With 123,000km or 73,000 miles, I spent my entire day today replacing the starter. It was the first time that I took so long to do such an easy job like that. The worst design I have ever seen.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:28 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

My '04 S, with 102k miles is pretty reliable, I'd say. Only concern, and it's a major one, is the risk of scored cylinders killing the engine. This happened once already, and is really the only thing that concerns me about this car.
Summary of repairs, with mileage
(regular maintenance, like brake pads, oil changes, etc. are not listed here. Repairs from zero-37k miles are unknown)
45k new engine, scored cylinders. When doing this, new spark plugs, ignition coils, updated coolant pipes, transmission harness
66k purge valve
90k fuel pumps (one went, both replaced)
101k hatch struts
102k left rear door lock actuator

That is IT!
Old 02-22-2018, 09:42 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel
My '04 S, with 102k miles is pretty reliable, I'd say. Only concern, and it's a major one, is the risk of scored cylinders killing the engine. This happened once already, and is really the only thing that concerns me about this car.
Summary of repairs, with mileage
(regular maintenance, like brake pads, oil changes, etc. are not listed here. Repairs from zero-37k miles are unknown)
45k new engine, scored cylinders. When doing this, new spark plugs, ignition coils, updated coolant pipes, transmission harness
66k purge valve
90k fuel pumps (one went, both replaced)
101k hatch struts
102k left rear door lock actuator

That is IT!
You haven't had to replace the coolant pipes, expansion tank, water pump, or control arms yet? The Porsche gods have mercy on you! Than again you did have a new engine installed at 45k miles so maybe new plastic coolant pipes came with the engine?
Old 02-23-2018, 01:21 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Jimmy
You never know what you will get when you buy a used Cayenne, but I can't stop working on my 2007. With 123,000km or 73,000 miles, I spent my entire day today replacing the starter. It was the first time that I took so long to do such an easy job like that. The worst design I have ever seen.
Guess you never did a starter on an E36 BMW..

Quick Reply: Porsche Cayenne Reliability and Problems