Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help in selecting a used Cayenne...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 860 Likes on 473 Posts
Default Please help in selecting a used Cayenne...

Hi, thanks for looking!

I'm planning on buying a used Cayenne in a couple months. I'll be selling a well-used Mazda MPV and and even more well-used 928, and adding the Cayenne to the Mazda3 sedan and 944 turbo currently in the garage. I'm not rich and I'm happy and comfortable buying used cars (of the dozen or so cars I've owned, only the one - a Taurus SHO - was purchased new). I have a good and realiable Bosch mechanic who services my 944.

I've owned three all-wheel drive cars - a Talon TSi, a Subaru Forester and a Subaru Legacy wagon. I've also owned an SUV; an Isuzu Rodeo that was the single worst vehicle I've ever owned.

I won't be towing anything significant, nor will I normally be off-roading (I like all-wheel drive because I live in the Poconos). The car will spend the vast majority of its time on streets and highways (like most Cayennes, I suspect).

I need to be able to fit four people, a medium dog and/or luggage. I'll thow a Thule on top for extra storage for longer trips.

I don't need neck-snapping performance, but I want to be able to get up an on ramp, pass on a two-lane road and maybe take the occassional kid in a slammed Honda by surprise. I think I'd prefer a standard transmission, but I'm willing to consider an automatic if it doesn't suck too much.

I also want to lower the car from an SUV height to a sedan height. As I said: I don't intend on off-roading, so clearance isn't an issue. I don't want to have to jump up into my car, and I don't have a need to look down upon my fellow drivers. So, I need a Cayenne that will take a lowering kit.

Like this:

Not this:

I'm completely flexible on model year, motors, and trim levels. My other requirements are easy enough to find (A/C, heated seats, leather, etc.). My budget is sub $25k, preferrably in the neighborhood of $20k.

Any advice appreciated...

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 860 Likes on 473 Posts

Okay, after some poking (thank you slow work day), it looks like an '04 to '06 are in my budget (with diligent shopping), and that Eibach makes a kit that will drop the non-air suspension 1.4". The V6 has adequate power, but nothing earth-shattering and seems to be less trouble-prone than the V8. Also, the cardon shaft and coolant tubes are eventual guaranteed trouble areas.

Sound right?
Old 01-04-2011, 05:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dont forget cracked coils and fouled plugs.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:22 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those are the probably the right years for that price range. But the V-6 will probably never take a kid in a slammed Honda; instead, he may be able to reverse past you on the freeway.

I'm admittedly biased, but I would advise anyone to get the best V-8 they could. They are so cheap right now. And the Turbo for a few K more gives you the adjustable air suspension and the rice-rocket-swallowing zip you will learn to love. You're buying Porsche, not a VW! I know this will start a serious flaming rant, but I just don't understand why anyone buys the V6s. Ever.

Sounds like we are both Poor Man's Cayenne owners. I gave up a boxster to haul three kids and two dogs. But if I had to do it all again, I'd probably change two things: get a Turbo S instead of a Turbo; and buy the panorama roof and factory hitch already installed. Did the hitch factory hitch myself and it was a pain to wire; haven't figured out the pano roof part yet. ; )

If you read these threads at all, you will hear of recurring problems that are big and ugly (and expensive for people saving for kids' college). But look: a Cayenne is a lot like a wife (or GF) - an awesome creature with an attraction unlike any other. But once you move in together, you find there's some less pretty stuff that she never advertised. She can just shut down on the side of the road, and remind you there's nothing you can do about it. And you'll hate her for a few days as she unloads your wallet. But once she comes back all dressed up and cute again, purring like normal, you fall in love all over again, pledging your undying love to the end - which might be the next day.

The V6 is the nice, sweet, smart academic girl that your parents always wanted you to marry: wears birkenstocks on the weekends, gets her nails done once a year on her birthday;

The V8 is the wife most of us have: beautiful, fun, a little crazy, but mostly sensible. Gets tipsy on New Years, but not in front of the kids. Great gal, loves the usual girl things.

The Turbo is the wife we wish we had: bikini model, raging hot looks, saucy all the time, buys new lingerie to wear while she makes dinner. Requires steady feeding of jewelry, massages, high-end vacations, and BCBG. But you don't mind because she's not wearing any undies. Ever.

I've realized now that this group is therapy for me...
Old 01-04-2011, 05:23 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Be sure to test the horn
Old 01-04-2011, 05:30 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by seankrider
Those are the probably the right years for that price range. But the V-6 will probably never take a kid in a slammed Honda; instead, he may be able to reverse past you on the freeway.

I'm admittedly biased, but I would advise anyone to get the best V-8 they could. They are so cheap right now. And the Turbo for a few K more gives you the adjustable air suspension and the rice-rocket-swallowing zip you will learn to love. You're buying Porsche, not a VW! I know this will start a serious flaming rant, but I just don't understand why anyone buys the V6s. Ever.

Sounds like we are both Poor Man's Cayenne owners. I gave up a boxster to haul three kids and two dogs. But if I had to do it all again, I'd probably change two things: get a Turbo S instead of a Turbo; and buy the panorama roof and factory hitch already installed. Did the hitch factory hitch myself and it was a pain to wire; haven't figured out the pano roof part yet. ; )

If you read these threads at all, you will hear of recurring problems that are big and ugly (and expensive for people saving for kids' college). But look: a Cayenne is a lot like a wife (or GF) - an awesome creature with an attraction unlike any other. But once you move in together, you find there's some less pretty stuff that she never advertised. She can just shut down on the side of the road, and remind you there's nothing you can do about it. And you'll hate her for a few days as she unloads your wallet. But once she comes back all dressed up and cute again, purring like normal, you fall in love all over again, pledging your undying love to the end - which might be the next day.

The V6 is the nice, sweet, smart academic girl that your parents always wanted you to marry: wears birkenstocks on the weekends, gets her nails done once a year on her birthday;

The V8 is the wife most of us have: beautiful, fun, a little crazy, but mostly sensible. Gets tipsy on New Years, but not in front of the kids. Great gal, loves the usual girl things.

The Turbo is the wife we wish we had: bikini model, raging hot looks, saucy all the time, buys new lingerie to wear while she makes dinner. Requires steady feeding of jewelry, massages, high-end vacations, and BCBG. But you don't mind because she's not wearing any undies. Ever.

I've realized now that this group is therapy for me...
Turbo S comparision.........see one of the Tiger Nine .
Old 01-04-2011, 05:44 PM
mt-sfo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no coolant tube trouble in the V6. and you can get it with the stick shift. and in your price range.
a used v8 GTS w/stickshift is in the 60s.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:49 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,500 Likes on 941 Posts

In the earlier Cayennes, I don't think you'll be able to find a manual transmission. There may be a very rare V6 out there with a manual, but I don't think many made it to the US, and I don't think it was even offered in the S or the turbo.

I would get a V8 if I were you, but I can tell you on thing, you will pay at the gas pump. Cayennes don't get great mileage. Ours tends to get around 13 - 14 mpg in town, and 20 - 21 mpg on the highway if we aren't too lead-footed.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:13 PM
goforwand
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would strongly urge you to get a V8 and insure that it is CPO'd. You don't want to be driving the one "naked".

The consensus seems to be that the '06+ models have less issues (relatively speaking) than earlier models.

I've had an '06 for a little over a year now...no "major" issues at all, but even the small issues (head unit, coils, hard/no-start after fill up) would probably be close to $3,000 if I were paying out of pocket for the repairs
Old 01-04-2011, 06:47 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
Be sure to test the horn
Take the fish out first ...
Old 01-04-2011, 06:58 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by seankrider

You're buying Porsche, not a VW! I know this will start a serious flaming rant, but I just don't understand why anyone buys the V6s. Ever...
Perhaps you missed the memo...

A. The Cayenne was always 65% / 85% VAG content and labor.

B. VAG now owns PAG, thanks to Dr W.'s ego driven folly, so you are still buying a VAG car.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:07 PM
mt-sfo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking for a used V6 manual trans last year... it seems like there's always one or two for sale at a time but they sell pretty quickly. in the end I decided to custom order a new one because the '09 manual trans v6 Cayennes that I was looking at were priced in the high 40s low 50s and I got a new one for not much more than that.

here's an 05 v6 with manual transmission thats welll within your budget:
http://bit.ly/gztz0h
Old 01-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Perhaps you missed the memo...

A. The Cayenne was always 65% / 85% VAG content and labor.

B. VAG now owns PAG, thanks to Dr W.'s ego driven folly, so you are still buying a VAG car.
Well you do get more Porsche content with a V8, not that there is anything wrong with VAG.

Dr. W should rot in hell
Old 01-04-2011, 08:54 PM
dbm911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so do the V6 Cayennes suffer the coolant tube issues or are they just less common?
Old 01-04-2011, 09:23 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by dbm911
so do the V6 Cayennes suffer the coolant tube issues or are they just less common?
They are as common as a 2007 Cayenne Turbo Hybrid GTS diesel paint to sample ...

The V6 is a good engine IMHO

Quick Reply: Please help in selecting a used Cayenne...