Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought 05 Cayenne 2 hours ago!! I'm desperate, I got screwed!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 11:51 PM
nilsgol
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought 05 Cayenne 2 hours ago!! I'm desperate, I got screwed!!

I'm brand new to Porsche. In fact, I'm 2 hours new. I just bought an 05 Cayenne S with 61k miles (VIN WP1AB29P55LA64369)

I'm desperate... I think I got screwed over by the BMW dealer where I bought it. I've heard the Cayenne is hesitant, but this is ridiculous. When we test drove it, it was fine. An hour into driving it, it began hesitating from a full stop. Now, it hesitates constantly. To the point that it's having trouble shifting into every single gear!

Not only that, but I hear loud THUMPS coming from somewhere between under and the front of the car...

Here are some videos of the issue. In all videos, the car was going from a FULL STOP. In each I accelerated differently - one with the pedal all the way down, one with the pedal half way, one with the pedal slightly pressed, and and so on. Regardless of how I accelerate, there are THUMPS and extreme hesitation. Eventually, the car begins to accelerate, but only after up to 5 or even more seconds of doing nothing, a few loud thumps, and extreme hestitation.

By the way, it's an automatic with tiptronic. Turning off PSM or even going into manual doesn't change anything. Same exact problem, even on first gear manual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sjhb7YgL3c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlZVTfdNcjI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x4gLn-l56I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r2TyoDt-Iw

What should I do??? I have a 60 day "warranty" on it, but I'm sure it won't be easy to get them to fix anything. I'm thinking of going to the Porsche dealer, having them diagnose it, and then going to the BMW dealer and demand that they fix any issues that the Porsche service advisor finds.

UPDATE: I let it cool down for an hour and it was driving fine when I took it out for a short 5 minute drive. This problem happens apparently once the engine is hot.

Help!

Last edited by nilsgol; 06-29-2010 at 01:43 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:44 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

Nilsgol you answered your own question. Take it back immediately and demand your $$.

Do not have anyone else touch the CS...they could be blamed for the faults but I would ask a Porsche dealer to pull the service history.

Sounds like your CS has multiple and common issues. Yes they hesitate when launching at times but my BMW X5 did the same thing.

The banging sounds like a defective Cardon(drive shaft coupling) which is a well known feature.

Fixable yes, but expensive.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:48 AM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think in most states you have 48 hours to return the car for a full refund. Do it after you warm up the engine and the problem is evident.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:29 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When I play the video, it sounds more like missing to me. The thumping is without a doubt backfiring.

The OP also mentions that the problem ceases once it cools down. IMHO, definitely ignition (coil pack) problems or fuel (injector) delivery issues. Nothing to panic about provided that the selling dealer replaces the defective parts under warranty.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:08 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

BRING IT BACK!

Let them sort it out.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:20 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Honeymoon's over.

Unless your selling (BMW) dealer has a PIWIS, it's going to be difficult for them to properly diagnose and service the P!g. Unfortunately, I don't think you have a choice but to return it to the selling dealer, if for nothing than for warranty liability (as mentioned earlier). I don't see them paying to have a Porsche dealership work on the car, but you can always ask.

Based on the video, the MY of the P!g, and the assumption that at 61K miles, the PO dumped it shortly after becoming naked, I would guess the following:

Cardan shaft
Coils
Plugs
Firmware mismatch between ECU and TCU
Valve body
Fuel pump

On the bright side, the plastic coolant tubes haven't cracked yet.

If you do have a 48 hour/mileage window in which to return it, do so immediately.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ltc
Honeymoon's over.

Unless your selling (BMW) dealer has a PIWIS, it's going to be difficult for them to properly diagnose and service the P!g. Unfortunately, I don't think you have a choice but to return it to the selling dealer, if for nothing than for warranty liability (as mentioned earlier). I don't see them paying to have a Porsche dealership work on the car, but you can always ask.

Based on the video, the MY of the P!g, and the assumption that at 61K miles, the PO dumped it shortly after becoming naked, I would guess the following:

Cardan shaft
Coils
Plugs
Firmware mismatch between ECU and TCU
Valve body
Fuel pump

On the bright side, the plastic coolant tubes haven't cracked yet.

If you do have a 48 hour/mileage window in which to return it, do so immediately.

Geez... this forum is worse than the 996 one at scaring new owners..
Not making me feel good about my newest Porsche Lewis
But on the bright side I'm comfortable with doing many repairs myself, have and excellent indy mechinac and.. well for what I paid for mine it's all good
Old 06-29-2010, 11:57 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
But on the bright side I'm comfortable with doing many repairs myself, have and excellent indy mechinac and.. well for what I paid for mine it's all good
Unlike the 996 the Cayenne problems are all to real.
I watch this forum to watch out for upcoming problems. Unfortunately I've had every problem ever posted about with exception to the engine dying.

Read the Post your repair / warranty list here thread.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:58 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Old 06-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh well..... in that case... Cheers!

Old 06-29-2010, 12:20 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Oh well..... in that case... Cheers!

Welcome to the P!g Pen

I just hang out here as sort of a lifeguard in case our fellow Moderator/Adult Day Care Provider, Sir Mudman2, decides to "jump" or "swim"...whichever the case may be.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Unlike the 996 the Cayenne problems are all to real.
I watch this forum to watch out for upcoming problems. Unfortunately I've had every problem ever posted about with exception to the engine dying.

Read the Post your repair / warranty list here thread.
Right.......13 pages of mostly chit chat over 4 years is hardly a problemlematic car thread.

Ask about which injectors to run in the 944 turbo section and you could have 13 pages in 30 min.

The impression I get in the Rennlist Cayenne section is that it's a bunch of spoiled little kids that get pissy if the soy to espresso ratio is not right in their latte.

The Cayenne has a few know bugs. Very few compared to many cars. Just fix them and move on.

I'm actually doing the coollant pipes on my ctt right now. So much easier and cheaper than half the problems I had with my Audi or last Jeep.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:13 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
The impression I get in the Rennlist Cayenne section is that it's a bunch of spoiled little kids that get pissy if the soy to espresso ratio is not right in their latte.
Negativity? Here? Naw, come-on?

Cole, I guess after driving and owning early water cooled Porsch-A's like we do, nothing even comes close. Right?
Old 06-29-2010, 03:17 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 895 Posts

My Cayenne S is excellent. I love it. I smile every time I see it.

There... a positive comment or two...
Old 06-29-2010, 03:17 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Andy E.
Negativity? Here? Naw, come-on?

Cole, I guess after driving and owning early water cooled Porsch-A's like we do, nothing even comes close. Right?

Good point...
Plus I have had my wallet drained by the best... Audi, BMW..etc

Quick Reply: Bought 05 Cayenne 2 hours ago!! I'm desperate, I got screwed!!