Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne Engine Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 02:02 AM
NSXLOVER2002
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi everyone, i'm a newbie here so please be patient. thanks twilight for posting your situation and i'm looking forward to hearing about the final result. i have a 2005 Cayenne S with 73,000 miles on it that's also making the same noise. if you get good results from the porsche dealer that you are working with, it might be worth my time and expense to use the same dealer. i'm outside of kansas city, and i don't always have the best of luck working with the local dealer here.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:28 AM
scxtasy
AutoX

Originally Posted by twilight
What I love is this forum is at least responding to thread!

One again - this car has been babied since new - no abuse at all....it looks brand new - has every option available for a Cayenne except remote locking. I own other Porshes and always plan on having them forever.

Here is the noise - http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/c...se-normal.html

Oil Changes every 5000 miles by the dealer since new....and yes that noise is due to a scored cylinder - called piston slap. That is why the lovely Cayenne's tend to burn more oil. In case you are wondering - and yes you can find everything on the internet - go to: www.pistonslap.com. You can even listen to the sound of a GM on the site.

Did you see the inside of the cover with all the metal flakes? I thought at first this was dirt from the disassemble - it is machining burrs, etc that are chromated right into the housing....nice job!

Want to hear from others who have had their engines replaced - realize this is a small population - have located 6 so far.....but many other reporting hearing this sound.
Sorry to hear about the issues you've had with you rengine. A couple of quick (and possibly stupid) questions for my own edification:

I listened to your audio recording and there seemed to be two pretty significant noises coming from your engine. One was the high-speed tick that I assume is the piston slap, but what was the other lower frequency sound? (Thanks for making me feel good about how quiet my '06 Turbo is BTW)

I also looked at your engine pictures and was surprised at the amount of carbon build-up on the pistons. Do you know if this is considered normal? Also, what are the brown/red deposits on the piston in the top of the frame?

Thanks,

Andrew
Old 05-21-2010, 02:34 PM
twilight
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oh well

Looks like the final result is to pay for the repairs on my own. Will amount to about $12,000 - that includes an amount of good will by the dealer. Porsche USA was of no help, basically saying that the vehicle has almost 100k miles - what are you thinking of asking us to consider anything....would not expect to see this after only 90K miles or even 250K miles. The local dealer really tried hard with Porsche USA - Carousel in Golden Valley, MN.

Spent the same monies to rebuild my 911 last year - it only had 75K miles - no more pools of oil in the garage - and not afraid of parking it in friend's driveways anymore....

The sad thing is you cannot find any parts for rebuilding the Cayenne Engine - your only recourse is the dealer. Here is a line that will make you shiver, called the guys who rebuilt my 911 and told them about my Cayenne - they said "oh, not another one!" He says he gets about 3 calls a month about scored Cayenne cylinders.

New engine comes with a 2-year warranty....by the way the list price is $23,000 with a core charge of $10,000. On sale for $8990!
Old 05-21-2010, 02:48 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What I love is this forum is at least responding to thread!

One again - this car has been babied since new - no abuse at all....it looks brand new - has every option available for a Cayenne except remote locking. I own other Porshes and always plan on having them forever.

Here is the noise - http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/c...se-normal.html

Oil Changes every 5000 miles by the dealer since new....and yes that noise is due to a scored cylinder - called piston slap.
In defense of the person that said that a "ticking" is not due to a scored cylinder, I would agree. What you were describing is clearly a "knock", now that we can hear it. Not a tick.

And it isn't technically the scoring that causes piston slap - it is usually that the cylinder is out of round due to wear. It wouldn't make any difference of the walls were scored or mirror-smooth.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:33 PM
wirunner
Pro

For the love of god, people, you won't believe this...my P!g makes the EXACT same knocking sound (the actual knock you hear in the background of this post). I have it recorded and if I was more tech savvy, I'd post it (how do you do that)...

So here's the story...P!g has been running like **** for months...very rough idle, put it in neutral or accelerate, it smooths out. I thought no biggie...coil set #3 here we go. Dealer won't check coils, but they check the computer, test the fuel pumps, replace a purge valve...blah blah blah. Still runs like **** (actually far worse than any of my p!gs ever did with bad coils). I switch gas stations...blah blah blah. I check the coils and plugs - all fine. Hmmmm so I'm standing there, hood up, thinking "god I hate this piece of ****, sure wish I didn't owe more than it's probably worth", so I start it up with hood open and WTF! There's a very noticeable loud knocking sound - seems quieter on the recorder but instantly noticeable with hood up - from one cylinder only (drivers side first one forward)!! Other cylinder bank is button quiet...just this one! Disclaimer: this engine was rebuilt under warranty.

Am I going paranoid?! Is this even possible?! I think I might have to join Larry soon as I am losing my mind!! Please people, talk me off the cliff!!!!
Old 02-27-2011, 03:58 PM
wirunner
Pro

Here's a quicktime file zipped with a 10 sec clip...am I going crazy that this doesn't sound right?!
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Memo.zip (78.9 KB, 394 views)
Old 03-01-2011, 12:08 PM
wirunner
Pro

Bump...anyone have any advice?

Update: I've been checking this daily...what I've noticed is the sound nearly goes away entirely once the engine is hot. I am beginning to feel like this is indeed piston slap; probably from some kind of incorrect tolerance during the engine rebuild. I am also thinking this is related to the occassional and strong burning oil smell that I've been complaining to the dealer about since the rebuild. Although, I've never noticed any significant loss of oil, but the dealers typically have overfilled the oil so much, 10k miles later it's just at the max mark.

I'd like to document the sound and situation more before approaching the dealer. Thinking of getting some kind of sthescope (spelling) to record it exactly. Does this sound nuts? Anyone dealt with something like this before while under warranty? Am I being **** about this?
Old 03-01-2011, 05:21 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wirunner
Here's a quicktime file zipped with a 10 sec clip...am I going crazy that this doesn't sound right?!

Yikes. I am no Porsche tech but that sound is consistent with piston slap. Obviously it could be other things - noises are funny that way.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:48 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

oil starvation ? Oil sludged up and error messages recorded ?
Old 03-01-2011, 10:32 PM
wirunner
Pro

Originally Posted by mudman2
oil starvation ? Oil sludged up and error messages recorded ?
I think you might have a good point, which would explain the random oil burning smell (happens at least once every time I drive and started immediately after they rebuilt the engine). I think the rough idle might be unrelated since engine is fine once hot and the rough idle is nearly all the time.

Okay, off to the dealer. I think I need to be smart about how I approach this so they actually verify what I hear/smell. I am so afraid of being stuck with this thing with some major problem and an expired warranty when this problem is clearly the result of a short sighted decision by a regional PCNA rep (I mean seriously, what dumbass thinks a one-tech large P dealer has the technical expertise to properly rebuild an engine!!).
Old 03-02-2011, 12:00 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

I have similar symptoms on my '05 with 73k miles. I have two weeks left on the CPO warranty.

The dealer thinks it is a lifter and dove into the top-end. They replaced the passenger side lifters and cam. I'm waiting to hear if this fixed it.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Smerj
4th Gear

Ok, so my 2004 Cayenne S had a scored cylinder after only 66K miles, and Porsche is basically screwing me over. I've decided to start a grass roots effort to get Porsche to acknowledge the problem and do something about it. Please check the facebook page I created to read my story and, if you have the same experiences, please post there and send me an email. Thanks!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...00002136197389

If this doesn't work, just look up Engine Problems.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:59 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just made a FB friend request.....
Old 04-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

FWIW and hoping to console my Cayenne brotheren, my buddy just lost his '10 Range Rover Sport to his dealer for about three weeks. That's how long it takes to get a replacement engine from Solihull.

He had about 11k (miles) on his truck before a hard knocking sound and subsequent "thump" ended his day early one morning.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:19 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just got the word that @73k miles I have a scored cylinder wall. I'm not sure which number but is on the passenger side toward the rear.
Luckily it is under CPO warranty and a new short block is en route.

Like you, wirunner, it started out as a light tick then got worse when cold. At operating temp, it was quiet.

I suggest you get it to the shop and ask them to use a borescope and look through spark plug holes. My shop found the scoring with the piston in its furthest travel down the cylinder.

Porsche NA seems to be seeing this problem as the shop manager heard about it at a tech training two weeks ago. They discussed the diagnosis method using the borescope.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Cayenne Engine Replacement