Sponsored by:

Annoying seat belt beep!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 06:35 PM
thugn4reel
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying seat belt beep!

Is there any way at all i can remove the annoying beep that is made when the seat belt is not buckled? It is the most annoying thing in the world... I put on my seat belt most of the time, however when im in a hury or going to a short distance i really hate hearing that beep. Is there any way to remove that warning or do i have to learn to live with it?
Old 04-27-2004, 11:48 PM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

You're kidding, right?

To solve your "problem," just wear the seat belt!
Old 04-28-2004, 01:54 AM
cayenneman
Advanced

This is a long standing debate. When driving on my property I dont need my belt and it is annoying as hell. It should be able to be disconnected. But how stupid would you feel if you got thrown through the windshield and you had disconnected the beep. I have heard to mute it some, place tape over the speaker. Not a complete fix but still less annoying. Theres definitely a way to do away with it and if I find out you'll be the first to know. Because we are all adults and assume the responsibility for our actions no matter how stupid some make think they are.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:08 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Re: Annoying seat belt beep!

Originally posted by thugn4reel
Is there any way at all i can remove the annoying beep that is made when the seat belt is not buckled? It is the most annoying thing in the world... I put on my seat belt most of the time, however when im in a hury or going to a short distance i really hate hearing that beep. Is there any way to remove that warning or do i have to learn to live with it?
Is it really the most annoying thing in the world? Why do you think that might be?

It may be that Porsche designed this vehicle as a system. They might have even considered one component of the system to be the driver.

If that is all true, then the integration of the vehicle systems may have included maximizing the efficiency and protection of the component commonly referred to as the driver.

So, while there are lone drivers, cruising the back 40 on their ranches, seat belts unslung, the Porsche teams apparently targeted the other 99.9% of the drivers, who operate on public roads, shared with brain-dead drones, receiving disembodied instructions through a cellular umbilical cord.

If the choice is made to "click in" then the other systems will also do their part.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:56 AM
magicdracula
Instructor

Guys I don't know if you want to drive on public roads or on your ranches. All what I know, that I had a terrible head on accident 2 years ago, the ER doctor had admitted that without god's mercy, seatbelt and the airbags I would have died no doubt !!!

Think of all the irresponsible adults who might take advantage of the "MUTE" option for ranch owners, and drive without the seatbelt in public roads. And once they crash and die "god forbidden", people will blame it on the Porsche for building insecure cars.

When Princess Diana of England died in her MB, nobody spoke about the fact that she wasn't wearing her seatbelt!! all what people did was blame it on the MB for making insecure cars!

My advice, buckle up America

Last edited by magicdracula; 04-28-2004 at 04:13 AM.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:17 PM
cayenneman
Advanced

I understand all of your concerns but my only question is why in all other cars it is simply 5 beeps and then flashing light only? I used to think the flashing light was annoying. If the seatbelt is so important to porsche put in automatic belts ala early 90's nissan maxima.(thats a joke)
Old 04-28-2004, 12:44 PM
EuroCarNut
Instructor

Actually, I do use my Cayenne at the ranch quite a bit, and when I am there I don't wear a seat belt because I go no more than 15 mph on the ranch roads and I get in and out of the vehicle quite a bit, sometimes for no more than 50 yards at a time, so I understand how annoying that beeping could become. With that said, I have one of the first Cayennes built (early 03) and I don't have a seat belt chime on mine. I don't know if all 03's were that way or not, but I definitely don't have it, so it must be possible to get rid of it.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:35 PM
James1
Advanced

Can you not just fasten the belt and sit on it?
..and without being pedantic, Diana was Princess of Wales. RIP.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:58 PM
1988carrera
Instructor

It is possible to turn it off - has been done on the Touareg with the Vag-com. I do not know what kind of a computer system needed for the pepper. I do not drive without a seat belt but it is NOT because of the beeping and it is definitely a nuisance when you are sitting in the car without the belt and the beeps are going crazy!!
Old 04-28-2004, 08:55 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

Default thugn4reel -- I AGREE

Call me stupid, dangerous, whatever. I HATE SEATBELT BEEPS! I bought the damn $100k car, don't nag me if I don't want to be nagged.

I love the logic of people who will mod a car (any car) by bigger/smaller tires, lift/lower kits, smaller steering wheels, modified engines, etc......BUT, don't touch the annoying seatbelt beeps. How about beeping things with far more likely and adverse affects on health than traffic accidents; for instance:

- Use sensors and beep constantly if a smokers smokes in the car. That's bad for your health.

- Cap limits on radio volume....dangerous if you can't hear. In fact that sensor should be adjusted after you take a mandatory hearing test when picking up your car.

- Use weight sensors in the seat to sound a constant beeping if you are overweight and obese. You could improve this even more by using an audio DSP to sample and detect the bad sound emitted from fastfood drive-thru's. If you get a "Positive Drive-Thru" indicator, the car automatically rolls up windows and locks them for 30 minutes.

Now, back from the absurdity but hoping the point was made- give me an easy way to turn that off.(no removing of fuses or cutting of wires) I'm a big boy, I can be 'stupid' if I so choose, but just like Sinatra- let me do it my way!
Old 04-28-2004, 10:21 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

So do what you want! I have not seen any evidence of anyone preventing people from debeeping their vehicles.

It is my understanding that there has only been support, or objection, to this Porsche design element, not to the modification of this feature.

From a personal perspective, I had been unable, for more years than I care to count, to have my wife use her seat belt when not traveling with her. Now, she ALWAYS buckles, which is fine by me.

It seems reasonable to conclude that other drivers have also changed their belt usage too. That was likely the objective leading to this design. As such, it appears to have arrived at the intended result.

So, if you arrive at a solution to change the beeping to more to your liking, by all means post that information. If you would like Porsche to change this design, for future vehicles, let ‘em know.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:15 AM
jarama beige
AutoX

Dear Thugn4reel:

When moving the Cayenne from my garage to the street parking (all of 30 feet), is it mandatory to wear seatbelts? No. But nevertheless, the beeping begins and immediately sounds like a broken record! If anyone knows how to turn off the beeping, please enlighten the rest of us. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:46 AM
NG928GTS
6th Gear

If you have a '03 model you can change the coding in the instrument cluster to canada, your dealer can help. '04, you have to disconnect the seat buckle wire, but the airbag warning lamp appears.

Regards
Old 05-03-2004, 01:30 PM
NYC Cayenne
Instructor

Isn't you cayenne equiped with a BOSE wave stereo system, just crank that baby up and can't hear nothing no more, just being sarcastic

Wear the damn belt dude, it's for you own safety, you whanna live long and healthy right so you can enjoy your cayenne, think of it that way.

John.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:19 PM
DEETZ22
Racer

I do not have this annoying beep on my car when I don't wear the seat belt, I guess its the early 2004 model

Quick Reply: Annoying seat belt beep!