Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant pipes A-Z.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 03:04 AM
stealthTT
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought that wasnt good. someone said something that the parts aren't fro the 955 or something like that. anyway, I just wanted to check in order to get the last codes.

thanks,

Ilie
Old 02-01-2010, 11:12 AM
menzzer37
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I fixed my problem. Intake manifold gasket unseated on passenger side, far runner (not sure which cylinder that is). Back in business. I also hear a tick from my car, but I'm assuming it's a pulley or AC clutch.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:22 PM
FallonBlood
AutoX

Pink, This is where the warranty company is wrong. The main fault or leak so to say is with the "Rubber" O-Rings and not the plastic pipes...
Actually, no. It's not the truth. The leak isn't always from the o-rings that seal the pipes. Sometimes the plastic pipes themselves rupture, splitting lengthwise. Sometimes one of the upper ones will split, sometimes the lower one splits, Sometimes it's the o-rings leaking.

I would like to respectfully disagree because the automotive coolant level should not drop over time unless you have an internal or external leak or if the engine has been overheated...
Renn 951 and Porsche52 are correct. It is perfectly normal to have to add a liter +/- of coolant to a cayenne every 12-20k miles, depending on various driving conditions, etc, and it's not uncommon for the light to come on if left unchecked for too long.

By the time the coolant leak gets bad enough to reach the ground, other serious issues may have resulted, such as a saturated starter and transmission torque convertor seal
I question how coolant running on torque converter a seal that has no problem sealing hot ATF will ruin it, and if this is plausable, why not the rear main seal too? Also, the coolant is able to drain out of the valley at the rear end, and iirc it's quite below the level of the starter. Now, while doing the repair I suggest you vacuum out all the broken mangled plastic bits and rinse out the valley with some water to get rid of the residual coolant and you'll see that briefly, the water level will rise rather high in relation to the starter (depending on how quickly you pour the water in there) but then drains back down. What do you think happens in there when you're washing the engine off??

I also hear a tick from my car, but I'm assuming it's a pulley or AC clutch.
and in relation to the ticking, short of accidentially dropping something into the intake ports (you used your duct tape, didn't you??) There really isn't any way you could mess up in such a way that would cause a ticking. However, If you also replaced the water pump, make sure the pulley is fully seated and tightened properly, and check to be sure the belt routing is correct and properly seated on each pulley. Also note that the fuel tank vent valve over by the throttle body makes a ticking noise as it's operating. On DFI cars it's more of a chirp.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:18 PM
porsche52
Board Certified Porsche Trauma Surgeon
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

The cayenne does not have a A/C clutch. It is a variable displacement compressor. I have seen both the rear main seal and torque convert seals leak due to coolant residue "crustys" damging them.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:34 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by TCallas
Have this inspected immediately. Continued vehicle operation once the engine valley coolant pipes start leaking is a very bad idea. It could mean the need for a new starter and or even replacement of the automatic transmission torque convertor seal. Both are expensive repairs but the transmission torque convertor seal replacement is a substantial one because the transmission must be removed for this repair.

Tony Callas
Look at my thread Pig Guts!, I am am in the process of getting the seal replaced now.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:26 AM
gogobg
AutoX

Hi All. Previously a bimmer owner switching to Cayenne S.
Bought from "reputable" official Porsche dealer in Atlantic City, NJ. Pre-sale coolant smell detected and confirmed by dealer. Was promised that smell would go away - residue after water pump job. 10 days into my ownership, "low coolant" warning came on, several visits at two different Porsche dealers ... long story short - leaking pipes diagnosed.

After some arguing the dealership agreed to do the repair at their expense. Except that a week after the job the smell is still there and I am starting to doubt that due to the "free" nature of the service nothing was done.

My question: how do I check if metal upgrades were installed - can it be done without lifting the intake?

Last edited by gogobg; 02-09-2010 at 01:16 AM. Reason: haste makes waste
Old 02-09-2010, 05:40 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

I was lucky not to have this problem nor a coil issue on my 2004 CS (sold it @ 134K miles).

I will look into this issue as well as the ignition coils issue accordingly while still under my CPO warranty accordingly.

TIA to all!
Old 02-09-2010, 05:41 AM
stealthTT
Track Day

Originally Posted by gogobg
My question: how do I check if metal upgrades were installed - can it be done without lifting the intake?
I tried yesterday to look under the intake, but couldnt see sh**.
Now, I have the same question as I discovered that on the cars visits to the dealer -done by the previous owner, they had changed them - these and the other small ones on the back of the engine. Now, after 3 years, I need from time to time to fill it, like 1,5-2 liters. I just want to know also,

How can I see what type of piping I have on the car, without removing the intake?
Old 02-10-2010, 12:12 PM
porsche52
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

You can I.D. all four pipes without removing the intake. I will take some photos and try and document how as best as possible soon.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:00 AM
porschespeeddemon
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche52
You can I.D. all four pipes without removing the intake. I will take some photos and try and document how as best as possible soon.
How 'bout I bring in a card reader for ya?
Old 02-24-2010, 06:10 PM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm assuming this has also contributed how our govt got involved in investigation on Toyota vehicles.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

For those of you who experienced unexpected coolant pipe burst while on the road, and considered you were in some level of dangerous situation due to this defect. please feel free to fill this out.

I would love to fill out the form but it hasn't happened to my Cayenne yet.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:37 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

unfortunately
Old 02-25-2010, 11:50 PM
pcst
Racer

Well,,, read this,

http://www.automotive.com/2001/49/fe...alls/9860.html

Recall Date
MAR 21, 2002

Model Affected
2001 FERRARI 360 MODENA

Description
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE ENGINE GROUND STRAP WAS MANUFACTURED IMPROPERLY. AS A RESULT OF THE IMPROPER "CRIMPING" OF THE GROUND STRAP CONNECTORS TO THE BRAIDED GROUND STRAP, THE ENGINE GROUND STRAP MAY NOT PROVIDE THE PROPER ELECTRICAL GROUND BETWEEN THE ENGINE AND THE CHASSIS.

Consequence
IF THE STRAP FAILS TO PROVIDE THE PROPER GROUND TO THE CHASSIS, THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM WILL SEEK A GROUND AT THE IGNITION COIL. THE VEHICLE'S IGNITION COIL GROUND CABLE COULD OVERHEAT AND COULD CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STOP. IF THE ENGINE STOPPED WHILE THE VEHICLE WAS BEING DRIVEN, IT COULD INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.
What's the difference between our Cayenne coolant pipe burst in the middle of high way, which will cause the engine to stop VS. Ferrari 360 Modena's defective ground strap potentially causes the engine to stop?
Both cases defiinitely "COULD INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH."

Telling you gents, whoever experienced & had to go through this problem, please go fill out the web form above; even if you had the service from out of your pocket $$$, you could get it reimbursed based on my past experiences with the mandatory recalls.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:33 PM
porsche52
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Coolant pipes failing will not cause your engine to stop running!!! You cannot compare the two scenarios. With the Ferrari, if the ground strap comes loose, yes, the engine will stop running in mid flight, possible very scary scenario, but to think a cayenne will just shut off instantly because is lost all its coolant is false. Now if you run the engine for a long time like a idiot, and overheat it and cause the engine to stop that way, then that is something different all together. Apples and Oranges my freind.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:36 PM
pcst
Racer

I guess you are right, but it's safer to stop running your engine once the coolant fluid start to escape out of the system.

But don't you agree, it's still dangerous to be able to pull over to the side of the road while driving on the highway, the front view is being impaired due to the smoke coming out under the hood?

Quick Reply: Coolant pipes A-Z.