Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you have steering vibration (shimmy) on your Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 02:47 PM
Mav
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry How many of you have steering vibration (shimmy) on your Cayenne?

Hi all, I just want to know some statistic of newly delivery Cayennes which have steering wheel vibration (shimmy) problem at highway speed (over 60mph). please include your tire size, wheel kind, size, and finally your suspension type.

Here is my:
275/40/20
20" Cayenne Sport design
Air suspension

My 1 week old Cayenne is at dealer for road force balance and hope to solve this problem.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:57 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I get a clunk in the steering when making a slow speed 90 degree turn to the right (like when leaving a parking lot and entering the street).

Porsche looked at it and could not find anything...but it still happens.

It is going back in for this, Nav update, ECU update, PASM error and a few more little things as soon as the weather improves a bit.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:30 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Say DC, what do you mean when the weather improves... Aren't you in Florida? (I can't believe you went back to the Cape for winter..)

How are you enjoying the new lifestyle.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:33 PM
Pcar Squared
Instructor

Default Vibration here....

Cayenne S
Susp: Steel
Wheels: 18" Turbo
Tires: Contis:

Been to dealer 4 times, still has vibration and shimmy still there.

Road force balance with no result (by the way does anyone know at what lbs of road force PNA or Conti determines a tire is defective).

Alignment completed to new standards, noticed that 2 tires had premature wear. Tires are going to be replaced (only 2).

Questions I have, does anyone have this problem with tires other then Conti's?
Old 02-12-2004, 05:43 PM
Mav
Racer

Wicked Wagon,
My Audi Allroad took 4 times visit to the dealer to fix the problem. 2 sets of new Audi Allraod tires made by Goodyear were replaced. Because of this experience, I know I should have my dealer looks into it as early as possible. Becasue after 3k miles all those work will be out of my $$ (according to Porsche warranty).
Old 02-12-2004, 06:12 PM
WCS
Instructor

Mav, does your car have the updated cardan shaft? Mine just got an updated shaft installed and it got rid of all the vibration problem I had before. If you can hear a low-freq humming sound at around 50mph you'll need a new shaft.

DC from Cape Cod, I'm not sure if this is related but mine had a clunk when slowly drive in the parking lot. I had the dealer looked at it but they couldn't reproduce it. Turned out this was from headlight hence it only happened when it is on (I had it set in Auto). Try driving with headlight on and off and see if it is related.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:21 PM
Mav
Racer

WCS, My Cayenne is Dec. 2003 build. I do not hear low-frequency humming sound at 50mph. I also do not know if cardan shaft update had been made on Dec. build car. Do you have any info?
Old 02-12-2004, 06:33 PM
WCS
Instructor

Most likely your car has an updated cardan shaft. All '03 (including my S) and supposedly most '04 cars with Oct or earlier production date would have an old shaft.

The old part number ends with 10 and the new one ends with 11. You can ask your dealer check it for you visually.

Another owner reported similar problem with updated shaft. The problem was fixed with tire rotation.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:48 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Clunk only occurs when turning wheel to the right a good amount....enough for a fairly tight 90 degree corner. It is strange but I (or they) will find out what it is.

Torags - you might be confusing me with Don. He lives about 4 miles to my west in the summer and about 1,500 miles to the south in the winter. We both have a 911 (although he went evil last year when he bought a 996). I am stuck here year-round and can't seem to get away from work nearly as often as I would like to.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:51 PM
Pcar Squared
Instructor

Mav,

Don't even get me started on those d*** Audi A6 variant vibrations. It is a "Characteristic" of the car. We go our C because of a Settlement with AoA over the vibration in our S6. I can't belive I am in this living hell agian!!! Two cars in a row with the same problem, it should not surprise me that this is the case. The steel suspension on the S was for the most part developed by VW correct?

I don't know about the after 3,000 miles its on your dime, but mine was reported within a week of delivery and has not been fixed in three months. At least all I will have to do is change the name and address on all my lemon law letters.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:24 AM
Harbormaster
Instructor

Mav....hopefully your vibration problem mirrors mine. I had a steering wheel vibration at 70+.......brought to dealer to switch to Pirelli Scorpion A/T's for winter......wheels balanced properly.....and problem solved.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:49 PM
Mav
Racer

Harbormaster, Thanks. I just got my car back from dealer. They told me road balacne had been done. But, I still feel the vibration this morning. So I took a look of my wheels to see if the weights which used to balance the wheel had been remounted or not. Answer! NO, no clue of previous attachning point. I think my dealer only washed my car! I know the difference after a road force balance. Because, my Allroad was cured after the proper done road force balance. I will try another dealer again.
Old 02-14-2004, 12:11 AM
SurfCayenne
Advanced

Originally posted by WCS
If you can hear a low-freq humming sound at around 50mph you'll need a new shaft.
Got it! (THE HUM...) Dealer told me it was probably my aftermarket tires & wheels and not their problem (as they did with 3/4 of my "list").

How do you convince the dealer to change out the cardan shaft?
Old 02-17-2004, 04:55 AM
WCS
Instructor

SurfCayenne, ask them to check the part number on your shaft (the old part ends at 10 and new parts ends at 11). I think PCNA's attitude on this issue is, if your car doesn't vibrate, they won't replace it as it is within safety specs, so if you can find a regional porsche rep to drive your car with you, that would help prove the case.

Here is the part number:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=867

Quick Reply: How many of you have steering vibration (shimmy) on your Cayenne?