Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

this thing has a mind of its own...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 08:35 PM
KY_soldier
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default this thing has a mind of its own...

Add this to the list of freakish goblins and pteradactals (how the hell do you spell it?) with the Cayenne...

I installed the Panavise call phone holder today and disconnected the PCM in order to see if I could access the lighter's power to tap in and run a line to the phone. Couldn't see down that far...so anyway, it installed nice and clean and then I put it all back together.

I started it up and backed out of my driveway and then evey five seconds, the Cayenne decides it's trying to pop the rear glass lock. Literally, every five seconds, it tryed to unlatch it...then the "key not found" starts in about every 30 seconds. This went on for a few hours and seems to have subsided....FOR NOW!

Anyone had THAT ONE yet?
Old 02-14-2004, 09:51 PM
Periokid
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope your wiring didn't mess anything up.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:53 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 579 Likes on 265 Posts

The C-S I had before I traded it in for a TT would randomly pop open the rear window, but not as frequently as you described. It would never do it if I locked the truck. It would then not do it for about a week before randomly starting up again. I medntioned it to the dealer before I traded it in, and the dealer sort of shrugged it off. My current TT doesn't do this, but I have to say it's been a reported electrical gremlin of the Cayenne.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:15 PM
KY_soldier
Racer

Thanks for the info. As for my "tinkering" earlier, all I did was disconnect and reconnect the wires to the PCM. I didn't CHANGE anything. No wires were harmed during the installation of the cell phone mount!
Old 02-14-2004, 11:30 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 579 Likes on 265 Posts

Just wondering, did you disconnect the battery first? Perhaps, removing the PCM generated error codes that caused these gremilins to occur?
Old 02-15-2004, 01:53 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Maybe it needs a reboot at the dealer.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:22 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Hey Soldier...

Where in KY are you? I'm picking up a 951 there in 15 or 16 days... maybe I'll drop in and say hi if you are in the area
Old 02-15-2004, 08:14 AM
Harbormaster
Instructor

On a lighter note.....perhaps you have released the famed ghost of Zuffenhausen.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:42 AM
KY_soldier
Racer

FSA, I am in Lexington.

As far as all of the software related "bugs" go, it should be real interesting to see what happens when I get my new 5 series in a month, since it has the iDrive and it's own load of technology. People on the 5 boards have similar complaints, but I am curious to compare the bugs and the dealer service. Makes me wonder if all cars with similar technology (nav, communications, et all) will go through this from here on out?

What do you think?
Old 02-16-2004, 07:36 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

What is the status of the demons that you've unleashed?

It seems likely that a low voltage error code may now reside in at least one vehicle module. It may require a reset, at the dealership, like when prepared for initial delivery, before the vehicle returns to normal behavior.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:34 PM
spockcat
Intermediate

Have you actually checked to see that it is physically open? On the Touareg there have been some complaints about the rear window sensor giving a false open reading. It is possible that the Cayenne might have the same problem. I believe a new switch is the normal repair.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:55 PM
KY_soldier
Racer

The gremlin seems to have subsided for now. It definitely opened because you could hear the latch in the back. Anyway...another ironic thing - I used the NAV for the first time since the incident and the country defaulted to Germany. I had to choose that I was in the US. Maybe it was homesick?

Old 02-17-2004, 11:51 AM
snowsled
Track Day

KY, I brought my TT in to the dealer for this very problem. According to the tech, this is not uncommon and I actually had to wait for a replacement rear window button ( the weather sealed button on the window itself) to arrive because of the demand. During the wait (about 1 week), he disabled the faulty button so the only way to open the rear window was with the remote on the key. No big deal.

Quick Reply: this thing has a mind of its own...