Sponsored by:

Brake pads initial bite

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 03:53 PM
Miamirice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Brake pads initial bite

I have read wht I can find on brake pads here. Most of the discussion is only concerning dust.

I replaced my OEM pads with Hawk HPS (rotors and fluid also) a year ago. I have never been pleased with initial bite. There is none. The pads feel fine on highway spirited braking from day 80-45mph.

What it lacks is is when I brake quickly for the joker that ghost brakes in a 45mph zone, or I do a quick brake because I am missing my turn in following GPS.....there is no initial bite. I am reminded of this whenever I drive my wife’s Honda Odyssey.

Its a 2006 S. Before any questions about bedding the pads, spongy pedal.....I am a weekend warrior racer that has been running race cars for 10 years. So it comes down to:

is this just how a 5000lbs vehicle feels? Has anybody compared the Pagid (I believe they are the OEM supplier) to the HPS? I want to go back to the Pagids now but before I drop $125 would like some opinions.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:32 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

With the pagid pads there is very good initial bite. Sometimes too much for unprepared drivers like my wife. They dust like crazy, but just get black wheels and that problem is solved.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:13 PM
kennyt
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Pagid pads are very dusty. I believe they make OEM pads for bimmers. My friend who’s a bike and car racer likes hawk HPS on his Cayenne.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:58 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors
With the pagid pads there is very good initial bite. Sometimes too much for unprepared drivers like my wife. They dust like crazy, but just get black wheels and that problem is solved.
100% agree (except for the black wheels). Solid initial bite, too much for "regular drivers" but just right for those who care, and super dusty. RECOMMEND.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:29 AM
Miamirice
Racer

Thanks guys. I am ordering pagids. I had no real baseline to judge with as the brakes were done by me right after I bought the truck. . I have had good experience with plenty of Hawk pads on race cars but I give the HPS a thumbs down.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:20 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,735 Likes on 4,285 Posts

I had HPS pads on my wife's 997 and felt the same as you regarding initial bite. This last time I used the yellow box Hawk ceramics and not only is the initial bite better but they dust a lot less too. Not sure if they make them for your Cayenne though. Take the HPS part # and replace the letter in the middle with a Z to see if they do.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:18 AM
kennyt
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I had HPS pads on my wife's 997 and felt the same as you regarding initial bite. This last time I used the yellow box Hawk ceramics and not only is the initial bite better but they dust a lot less too. Not sure if they make them for your Cayenne though. Take the HPS part # and replace the letter in the middle with a Z to see if they do.
the yellow performance ceramic pads are for LT and SUV while the HPS are for cars. They don’t offer yellow pads for front turbo, only rear.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:22 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,735 Likes on 4,285 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyt

the yellow performance ceramic pads are for LT and SUV while the HPS are for cars. They don’t offer yellow pads for front turbo, only rear.
Not exactly. They make ceramics for msny different fitments, including the 997s, which is neither a light truck nor an SUV. Their LTS pad is the one specifically for light trucks and SUVs (thus the name). I run those on my pickup. Must not be a large enough market for the Cayenne front pad size.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:47 PM
Rossi
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

I have Ferodo DS2500 all around and they are fantastic. Reasonable on dust (less than OEM), not harsh on my rotors at all and the stopping power is better than OEM
Old 04-18-2018, 11:02 PM
phatz
Three Wheelin'

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts

These brake discussions are always interesting

I wish someone that was making a switch from Pagid would do some before and after data collection ...beyond the butt accelerometer
Old 04-19-2018, 01:17 AM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 642 Posts

I put Pagids on with new OEM rotors on all corners of my 06 CTTS. I bedded them in and, wow! The lead sled has some impressive binders. Love the initial grab and overall smooth pedal feel I get with any stop situation. Dust is dust but great brakes are a must.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:04 AM
Miamirice
Racer

Originally Posted by hatchetf15
I put Pagids on with new OEM rotors on all corners of my 06 CTTS. I bedded them in and, wow! The lead sled has some impressive binders. Love the initial grab and overall smooth pedal feel I get with any stop situation. Dust is dust but great brakes are a must.
I couldn’t agree more. This is the first time I will take a perfectly thick pad off of a car and replace. The HPS feel down right unsafe. It’s the feeling a pad has when either :

1. It just went on out of the box and has not bedded
2. That initial application of a racing pad when it’s ambient temp in the paddock.

Its only that first 1/2 -1 second when it’s applied ....then it responds. Now that I have dug into the topic, I see plenty of posts on other forums with the same issue on these pads. I typically love HAWK, I use blues and DTC-60’s on 2 of my race cars.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:52 AM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My favorite SUV pad is the Hawk LTS. I have had them on a GX470, RRS S\C, and a RR HSE. Great initial bite, great feel and very progressive. No noise and minimal dust. I've never used Pagid's on an SUV, but 4/4's and 4/2's were my "go to's" for my tracked Miata and Stoptech equipped WRX - loved them, but they did dust like crazy
Old 04-19-2018, 09:43 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 102 Posts

There definitely needs to be more available facts for consumers to make vehicle brake pad choices. As best I can tell, however, there's generally not any non-marketing information available at the time of pad purchase other than European "90R" certification and DOT "edge codes" which are printed on the pads themselves.

The 90R certification is described here: R90 wiki . In short, pads stamped R90 are supposedly within 15% of factory OEM pads' performance characteristics. I say "supposedly" because I've noticed that the edge codes of different pads stamped R90 can often span a 2 or 3 letter range, which should translate to greater than 15% allowed tolerance. Because of this, I'm personally a little skeptical about R90 as a useful rating of pad performance -- it seems only to indicate that a pad is not complete junk (which I would define as typically EE rated or less). It's also worth noting that high performance track pads probably couldn't be R90 compliant if their performance was sufficiently greater than the OEM pads.

Unless someone knows otherwise (and I'd love to hear it), I think that leaves DOT edge codes as the only useful measure for street pads, although it's arguably still lacking as I'll describe below. If you don't know about DOT edge codes, you probably should read this: DOT Edge Codes Explained . The key information from this article is as follows:

Edge codes are located on the edge or back of every DOT approved brake pad. The two-letter code represents the coefficient of friction (otherwise known as "mu" -- sounds like mew) of the pad at two temperatures: 250 F and 600 F, respectively. Per the table below this paragraph, the letters are typically between E and H, where E represents the lowest coefficient of friction range and H represents the highest friction. And in case there's any doubt, all else equal, a higher mu generates more stopping power for a given amount pedal pressure. Thus, the edge code letters roughly characterize the "bite" that driver feels at "warm" and "moderately hot" braking temperatures typically experienced on the street.

Explanation of D.O.T. Edge Codes Located on all Brake Pads
Edge Code / Coefficient of Friction (aka "mu") @ 250 F and @ 600 F / Comments
EE
: 0.25 to 0.35 both temps / 0-25% fade at 600 F possible
FE: 0.25 to 0.35 @ 250 F ; 0.35 to 0.45 @ 600 F / 2% to 44% fade at 600 F possible
FF: 0.35 to 0.45 both temps / 0-22% fade at 600 F possible
GG: 0.45 to 0.55
HH: 0.55 to 0.65

While the above edge codes are useful, they have some limitations:
1) The codes only reflect the range of coefficient of friction, rather than the actual measured amount. Thus a "strong FF" pad might feel/perform comparably to a weak "GG". So while the edge codes point you in the right direction, they aren't exactly precise.
2) The codes only reflect mu at 250 F and 600 F, and, because different pad compounds behave differently at different temperatures, we don't know how the pads perform through the full range of potential brake temperatures that may be experienced. Perhaps most notably, they don't list the mu of the pads at a cold temperature like 50 F or colder, and that's too bad, because for some drivers a pad with noticeably lower friction when cold can be very disconcerting. Also, for performance/track/towing oriented drivers, it'd be nice to know what happens to mu when the temps are even higher like 800 or 1000 F.
3) The codes provide no additional information regarding dusting, noise, or rotor wear -- factors which may also matter to a buyer. That said, for a street/sport pad, noise and rotor wear are likely assumed to be acceptable. Unfortunately, higher friction coefficients tend to be correlated with higher dusting and somewhat reduce rotor life -- that's because the increased friction of the pad compound causes more wearing of the rotors, creating black cast iron dust, which is what most folks seem to complain about on high performance cars.

So as a Cayenne owner interested in braking performance, you should be asking: "What are the edge codes on the OEM pads?" As best I can tell from looking at online images of the latest Porsche branded pads for the 955 Turbo with 350mm rotors, it appears that Porsche pads are the Pagid 4668 compound, and generally have edge codes of "GG," which is a fairly high friction coefficient rating. Note that I found some images of factory pads with "GF" and "FF", but they appear to be older images or rear pads only. This raises the interesting possibility that the OEM pad compound may have changed over time.

For comparison, I'll also list the edge codes (based on online images) for some other pads I looked at:

EBC Yellow: EE
Ferrodo DS2500: FF
Hawk LTS: FF
Stoptech Sport: FF
ATE Ceramic: FG
Pagid (OEM 4668 Compound): GG
ATE: HH

I've run the EBC Yellows and I'm currently running the Stoptech Sports (and prefer their increased bite and lower dust to the Yellows), but I'll acknowledge that my wife thinks my Cayenne doesn't have enough "bite" relative to her Mercedes with GG-rated OEM pads. Conversely, when I drive her car, my first couple stops usually launch everything through the front windshield until I adjust to needing less pressure on the pedal. Having driven the Stoptech Sports now for a couple months, they're an acceptable compromise for me, but I'm thinking of trying an even higher coefficient pad on the front rotors for more bite.

In summary, many folks have been happy with the various pads listed above. But if you're looking for more "bite" you're probably need to stick to OEM, Pagid 4668, or maybe even the ATEs with the HH rated compound (which is an interesting find and appears to have greater than stock bite -- anyone have any experience?).

And if you're looking for a pad that dusts less, you'll have to go on the qualitative experience of others -- just be aware that moving to a pad with different edge codes could have a big impact on braking feel, and will likely require more pedal effort than stock, especially at cold temperatures.

If you're into track stuff, some racing pad manufacturers will give you actual friction coefficient data at all temperatures. While that's useful for your track-focused 911, it's not as useful for a street driven Cayenne as they often don't make pads that fit with those compounds, although some manufactures will custom manufacture a set for you, but it's relatively expensive versus the off the shelf pads.

Hope that helps somebody.

Last edited by Brainz; 04-19-2018 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:03 AM
Miamirice
Racer

Just as a follow up here.......I had been living with the Hawk HPS pads for so long I didn’t know how much better the brakes in the Ceyenne could be. I wrote it off as life with a 5000 ibs truck. Installed Brembo pads (found a deal on them).

The 2 things I immediately notice now is the initial bite is there but even better is the response in the lightest of brake modulation. Before it was more of that feeling of when you are towing and a slight increase in brake pressure does little. Now it’s responsive to the slightest change in pressure. Don’t know if I had a bad batch of HPS pads but for anybody questioning the pads they have.....changing pads changed a Lot the performance of my vehicle.

Quick Reply: Brake pads initial bite