Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has original coolant pipes that have made it past 150,000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 06:51 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

For those who have changed coolant pipes...is it required to lift/jack the car up as noted in ECS instructions? Or can the coolant be easily drained with wheels on the ground?

Reason I ask is my space to work on my Cayenne is narrow and I can't easily maneuver/jack to jack the P!G in the garage.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:54 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

I had to remove a bunch of items to access the radiator drain plug but I think it could be done without raising the vehicle. Mine is an '04, I think some of the later models don't have the radiator drain plug. I know a few have been annoyed after removing everything and not finding that plug.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:02 PM
Marksg1
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine went on 141000 miles, put my foot down to overtake a tractor and they went, had them replaced then the torque converter seal went and had to have that done, someone told me I should have done the seal when the pipes went. We are UK based, I have had car for 3 years from 105,000 miles to 150,000. Only other issue I have had is the satnav not getting a signal anymore, as the car is an 05 plate I use an updated Tom Tom instead if I need nav
Old 03-25-2018, 12:48 PM
Rod Croskery
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the response. It reinforces my decision this week to order the pipes and start the project. I ran across an outstanding personal account of the upgrade on Renntech.org by an IT troubleshooter who calls himself Harness.

Coolant Pipe Replacement Detailed Instructions

It's nine pages of systematic instructions, specifying in particular where a lack of knowledge caused him to go wrong, such as when he handled one of the emission tubes on the throttle body a little roughly. That cost him $130 for a new one. A bit of WD-40 saved the other one.

https://www.renntech.org/forums/tuto...-instructions/
Old 03-25-2018, 01:34 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

It's nine pages of systematic instructions, specifying in particular where a lack of knowledge caused him to go wrong, such as when he handled one of the emission tubes on the throttle body a little roughly. That cost him $130 for a new one. A bit of WD-40 saved the other one.
Mainly keep in mind that any of the corrugated tubes that look like a bendy straw are not meant to be bent at all. Reading about that before going in probably saved me a lot of grief.
There's also a Y shaped coolant vent pipe made of plastic. It's pricey, but whether buying piece by piece or a kit, make sure you get that.
A remote hose clamp tool is definitely something you'll want for the rear hoses...less than $20 bucks from any auto supply store and you'll have those hoses off in just a few seconds.

Honestly, the difficulty of this job is about a 3 out of 10 thanks to dozens of online tips and how to articles like the one you posted. I had a car that was more difficult to change out the spark plugs.
The only annoying part I had was getting the 3 pipes out of the t-stat housing. Since my kit came with a new gasket for the housing, I removed it along with all 3 pipes attached. I then clamped each pipe into my bench vice one at a time, grabbed the t-stat housing and twisted and pulled until each pipe popped out. It also made it easy to just tap the new aluminum pipes into the housing right on the bench.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:25 AM
Rod Croskery
Instructor

Turned out when I raised the manifold all I could see under there were aluminum pipes.

Somebody needs to write a good set of instructions on how to check for upgrades in a less-invasive manner than this.

Yes, I did try to get a scope down there, and no, I couldn't find a way to get a view with my android phone.

Last edited by Rod Croskery; 04-02-2018 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Add photo.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:02 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

I did it with my phone. Removed the engine cover surround and took pictures with the phone pointed slightly down and forward from behind the intake manifold. Found it very easy to do. I explained it here: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...l#post12183861 Post number 443.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:40 PM
Rod Croskery
Instructor

Originally Posted by mtnrat
I did it with my phone. Removed the engine cover surround and took pictures with the phone pointed slightly down and forward from behind the intake manifold. Found it very easy to do. I explained it here: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...l#post12183861 Post number 443.
I think I understand what to look for now: the cast aluminum fitting into which the coolant hoses fit, and onto which the manifold fits.

With my scope I found the ends of the hoses where they join cast aluminum. With any luck I'll find the same thing on my son's '04 CS.

Update: With the scope we found the same aluminum structure you circled in your photo. The gray Cayenne has aluminum tubes, as well.

Rod

Last edited by Rod Croskery; 04-02-2018 at 05:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Who has original coolant pipes that have made it past 150,000 miles?