Sponsored by:

Multi Purpose Display Blank... Sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 07:49 PM
deonw1
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Multi Purpose Display Blank... Sometimes

I have a 06 Cayenne V6, and the Multi Purpose Display was working fine and one day just went blank. No fading, just went blank. All of the LED's are bright, just not showing any data. Then today it came back, but eventually went blank again. Has anyone had this issue. Just wondering if it's the LCD, or something else. Thanks

LED's Light Up, but no data displayed

When it work, its clear. No blur or missing pixels
The following users liked this post:
CPA Marc (08-25-2022)
Old 12-06-2021, 05:08 PM
lachieg25
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by deonw1
I have a 06 Cayenne V6, and the Multi Purpose Display was working fine and one day just went blank. No fading, just went blank. All of the LED's are bright, just not showing any data. Then today it came back, but eventually went blank again. Has anyone had this issue. Just wondering if it's the LCD, or something else. Thanks

LED's Light Up, but no data displayed

When it work, its clear. No blur or missing pixels
Did you end up getting to the bottom of this?

Mine has just started to play up, except it has stayed backlit with no data displayed.
CPA Marc (08-25-2022)
Old 12-06-2021, 05:59 PM
HETPE3B
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Display needs to be swapped.
CPA Marc (08-25-2022)
Old 12-06-2021, 07:40 PM
lachieg25
3rd Gear

Thanks, will order a new LCD display.
CPA Marc (08-25-2022)
Old 12-06-2021, 08:08 PM
HETPE3B
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by lachieg25
Thanks, will order a new LCD display.
be careful with a metal bracket holding the display in place. I witnessed A LOT of cracked displays due to the negligent bracket installation. The design of the whole assembly is a joke, so it’s easy to misalign the lcd display and the bracket accordingly and when you press on the bracket you inadvertently crack the display.
CPA Marc (08-25-2022)
Old 12-07-2021, 07:05 AM
deonw1
2nd Gear

Default LCD display

Originally Posted by lachieg25
Did you end up getting to the bottom of this?

Mine has just started to play up, except it has stayed backlit with no data displayed.
Yeah the other replies to this post are correct. Best to just replace the display. There are some really good tutorials on YouTube. Good luck!
CPA Marc (08-25-2022)
Old 08-25-2022, 09:54 AM
CPA Marc
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LCD Dashboard Screen Blank

The center LCD screen on my 2008 Cayenne GTS also went blank, came back to life, but then went blank again, seemingly permanently.
I took the issue to Porsche North America in Georgia who interfaced with my local dealer (Prestige in Lakewood, CO.) End result was less than satisfactory - all they would do was replace the whole dash board for $3,000.
After researching the issue on-line, I found useful information: Tanin Electronix in Racine, WI sells a replacement LCD screen for older Cayennes, more about them in the pictures - read on!
Here are helpful You Tube videos for mechanically-capable people, of which I am NOT:

Removing cluster from the dash board:
Installing new LCD display panel screen:
Installing new LCD display panel screen:

I got a replacement screen from Tanin, went to an ASE-certified mechanic who works on Porsche vehicles, and he installed the replacement screen.
See the pictures and captions below, the issue is unresolved at this stage, but I am pressing ahead - wouldn't you? Cheers, Marc Frank, Westminster, CO

The right side is missing 40% of the display; Tanin said my ASE-certified mechanic damaged the screen. How could they know that? They are in Wisconsin, not Colorado.

My mechanic said he knows electronic parts are delicate and was very careful during installation. So far, sadly, Tanin is refusing to stand behind the product.

Either my mechanic unintentionally damaged the part or it was defective from the start. A case of he said - he said and me stuck with a lousy LCD display.

My mechanic is providing me with an affidavit explaining the ASE-certified level of care he exercised during the installation. I will share this post with Tanin and try again to get the LCD display to work like it should.
Old 08-25-2022, 09:57 AM
CPA Marc
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you get you replacement from? See my lengthy post down below, Marc

Quick Reply: Multi Purpose Display Blank... Sometimes