Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 05:48 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Default UPDATE: EPS tuning center mount install...Cardan shaft removal issue

I am having a difficult time removing the aft portion of the shaft. All bolts are out and the exhaust is loose, but the rear will not budge. The front is completely out. There is a little bit of rust and I used penetrating oil, but it will not move. The thin metal cover that goes over the top of the rear coupling came loose and it moves around but I cannot get the actual connection to come out of the rear differential. Does anybody have any good techniques to do that?
Old 02-19-2018, 07:00 PM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bolt the font back on, set the parking brake, put it in D and give it a little gas. Not done it myself, but I've seen this technique referenced here.

cheers,
c
Old 02-20-2018, 08:41 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by vandal968
Bolt the font back on, set the parking brake, put it in D and give it a little gas. Not done it myself, but I've seen this technique referenced here.

cheers,
c
Interesting. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:20 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Soak liberally over a day or two with penetrating oil at the joint and then start pounding with a rubber mallet. If you don't care about damage on the joint use a large hammer. Just don't hit the yoke.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:00 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 446 Posts

I used a ratchet strap going around the tail of the shaft and to the front crossmember. I ratcheted as tight as I could and whammed on the joint with a hammer. Then I tightened and repeated. It came loose eventually. I've also seen the 'put it in D' trick reference a couple times.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:48 PM
MuffinMan
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I kept the front bolted and rocked the car back and forth a bit between D and R. If you use this method, be prepared to stop immediately after it breaks free, or the shaft will spin wildly and spray grease all over the place while banging around.
The following users liked this post:
frederickcook87 (08-14-2023)
Old 02-25-2018, 08:55 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
I used a ratchet strap going around the tail of the shaft and to the front crossmember. I ratcheted as tight as I could and whammed on the joint with a hammer. Then I tightened and repeated. It came loose eventually. I've also seen the 'put it in D' trick reference a couple times.
Your input was the best for my comfort level, didn't want to do the "D/R" method. Ratchet straps worked great. Thanks.

New subject for this thread though, if I can change it...

EPS tuning center support bearing does not fit in place. The structure of my '05 Cayenne TT is too narrow there, and I am having a very difficult time forcing the mount into place. Maybe they sent me the wrong kind? Everything I read, it seems there is only one design they have.

Anyone else have fitment issues?

Matt
Old 02-26-2018, 11:07 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 446 Posts

That's the first I've heard of fitment issues with the EPS bearing. I replaced the entire shaft, although if I have it to do again, I'll just do the Jimi fix.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:07 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Here is a picture. Both sides of the bracket are hitting the body of the Cayenne. Am I missing something with this install??

Old 02-27-2018, 11:40 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Uhhh... have you removed the old bearing holder (that looks like it to the right of the new one..) This REPLACES that holder - and the old one has to be cut off the driveshaft, then the new one takes it's place.

I think we'd understand better if you zoomed out or got back a bit from the driveshaft and the tunnel..
Old 02-28-2018, 08:54 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

First thanks for taking the time to reply. I did remove the old bearing support, cut it away from the driveshaft. What you see is just part of the drive shaft itself. I will take another picture zoomed out — I was trying to get close to show where the EPS bracket was bumping up against the body of the car. I’ll continue to fiddle with it but it is a very very tight fit, and the only thing I can do at this point is shave the last few millimeters of rubber off of the center bearing. But I don’t think that is going to make up the difference.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:03 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I believe the part of that shaft you were looking at, thinking is the center support bearing, is the part circled in this picture from EPS tuning.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:00 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Just talked to EPS. They said that it is OK if the outter portion of the bracket is wedged up against the body of the Cayenne. Cayennes have, apparently, different size cavities where the bracket goes. I will just force it into place and it should be fine.

Otherwise, case closed!
Old 02-28-2018, 07:42 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

On my 09 there was plenty of room FWIW - glad to hear you are back on US soil Matt. Cheers!
Old 02-28-2018, 11:35 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
On my 09 there was plenty of room FWIW - glad to hear you are back on US soil Matt. Cheers!
Not for long. FML. Can't we all just get along?

Finished up the work, drove the beast... no issues. She's a beast. But room for the EPS bracket was negative. Had to force that thing into place. But she works well and I do like the craftsmanship. Solid product, just wasn't expecting it to be such a tight fit.

Quick Reply: Cardan shaft removal issue