Trailer Hitch for 2005 Cayenne and Cutting of Rear Fascia

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 11:41 PM
SparkyCanada
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Hitch for 2005 Cayenne and Cutting of Rear Fascia

Hi there.

I’m looking for a trailer hitch for my 2005 Cayenne.

My local instal place tells me we will need to cut the rear fascia to instal this.

I am concerned that this may not look good.

Are there any other options so they don’t have to cut the back up?

Anybody else done this and had good results with the cutting of the rear fascia?

Thanks,

SparkyCanada
Old 02-05-2018, 09:43 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,730 Likes on 4,282 Posts

To avoid cutting yours, you'd probably have to buy the rear bumper and related parts from the same model but with the Tow package. With yours, if done carefully and right, you could actually save the piece that's removed, buy a cheap trailer hitch plug, and use the part from it that goes into the receiver along with your piece that was cutout and make a plug that looks like the factory bumper again when you aren't towing. I don't know how far the receiver will protrude past the bumper where this would be possible, but seems like a cool idea if it can be done well.

In my experience, the best way to cut these types of things is with an oscillating tool where you can hold it in a fixed position and let the blade in the tool just vibrate back and forth. Many companies make these now - Rockwell, Dremel, Craftsman, etc. It's how I cut the plastic lip off the oil pan baffle on my 997 when installing a deep sump kit, but needed it to sit flush against the windage tray to make a good seal - worked perfectly.

Also, check out post #32 in this thread

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...gts-misha.html

where widebody1 installed a hidden trailer hitch on his Widebody Cayenne GTS - might give you some ideas to avoid the cutting altogether.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:03 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

The cut is in the lower black section and I believe there are factory lines in the plastic to cut on. It would be cut the same whether from the factory, later at a dealership or DIY.
This guy did an excellent video on the Curt hitch install...
Old 02-06-2018, 12:24 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyCanada
I’m looking for a trailer hitch for my 2005 Cayenne.
What are you planning to tow?
Old 02-06-2018, 11:22 AM
SparkyCanada
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 19psi
The cut is in the lower black section and I believe there are factory lines in the plastic to cut on. It would be cut the same whether from the factory, later at a dealership or DIY.
This guy did an excellent video on the Curt hitch install...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7MDcunjwoY
Thanks for the video attachment - he really did do a good job on his instal...

SparkyCanada
Old 02-06-2018, 11:23 AM
SparkyCanada
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dasams
What are you planning to tow?
Actually - probably never tow anything - just want to attach a rear bike carrier for a couple of bikes...

Thanks,

SparkyCanada
Old 02-06-2018, 11:25 AM
SparkyCanada
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Petza914
To avoid cutting yours, you'd probably have to buy the rear bumper and related parts from the same model but with the Tow package. With yours, if done carefully and right, you could actually save the piece that's removed, buy a cheap trailer hitch plug, and use the part from it that goes into the receiver along with your piece that was cutout and make a plug that looks like the factory bumper again when you aren't towing. I don't know how far the receiver will protrude past the bumper where this would be possible, but seems like a cool idea if it can be done well.

In my experience, the best way to cut these types of things is with an oscillating tool where you can hold it in a fixed position and let the blade in the tool just vibrate back and forth. Many companies make these now - Rockwell, Dremel, Craftsman, etc. It's how I cut the plastic lip off the oil pan baffle on my 997 when installing a deep sump kit, but needed it to sit flush against the windage tray to make a good seal - worked perfectly.

Also, check out post #32 in this thread

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...gts-misha.html

where widebody1 installed a hidden trailer hitch on his Widebody Cayenne GTS - might give you some ideas to avoid the cutting altogether.
Interesting... definitely going to think this through a bit more now that I've seen this.
Would really prefer not to have to cut anything...
Thanks,

SparkyCanada
Old 02-19-2018, 08:03 PM
Boxzilla
Track Day

I installed an Curt hitch on the back of my '04 and like you i was apprehensive of having to cut the lower fascia. Note that although there are lines on the lower piece you cannot follow them if you are using an aftermarket hitch. I ended up taping off the hitch area and slowly expanding the cut area little by little until i had clean margins around the hitch. The reality is you cannot even see the cut area because it is so low on the fascia.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:18 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

My CTT came with a factory hitch, but I have cut the rear bumper/fascia on other cars to install a hitch. I highly recommend it. It is a weird kind of a rush. At first there is a lot of anxiety, but feels quite satisfying once you are done. I would liken it to skydiving except the stakes are much lower - as long as you can keep your fingers out of the saw blade! In the end it doesn't really matter. No one is going to look up under there and examine the straightness of your cut!
Old 02-20-2018, 06:32 PM
CTTS520
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Lol 😆
Nodoors did a good job of summing it up. I used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel to make a perfect cut. I even saved the piece that I cut out of the fascia. Came across it the other day in my parts box and I thought "why the hell do I still have this piece of plastic?"
Old 02-20-2018, 07:01 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,730 Likes on 4,282 Posts

Originally Posted by CTTS520
Lol 😆
Nodoors did a good job of summing it up. I used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel to make a perfect cut. I even saved the piece that I cut out of the fascia. Came across it the other day in my parts box and I thought "why the hell do I still have this piece of plastic?"
You could use it to make your own custom plug that blends into the bumper for when the hitch isn't installed into the receiver, unless your install has the receiver part actually protruding through the bumper.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:02 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 474 Posts

I also did a Curt hitch and just cut the piece away. I don't even remember how. Tin snips? Anyway, it's completely unnoticeable with the receiver sticking out.

Quick Reply: Trailer Hitch for 2005 Cayenne and Cutting of Rear Fascia