08 Cayenne Turbo suddenly blowing smoke

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 03:37 PM
Brian J Canberg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Cayenne Turbo suddenly blowing smoke

Hello All:

I'm a new member and owner of a beautiful 08 Turbo. Car is clean and has been checked out very well.
Motor makes no noise what-so-ever, that wouldn't be considered absolutely normal and badass. The car is sound.
Suddenly, it started coughing up blue smoke on start up. I didn't realize it until I smelt the burning oil smell and realized i was backing up into a cloud of smoke. I went right home and tried to see if I could see any smoke at idle and there was nothing. I shut it down and started it again, and low and behold, a big cloud of "blue" smoke. It clearly isn't water burning. I could absolutely smell the oil.
I had it towed to a repair facility who specializes in European/ foreign cars (they've done all my previous work on my Jag XJR) - They're a very reputable shop.
I was told it is most likely the Air / Oil Separator. (AOS) which makes sense based on what I read after seeing the smoke initially.
Long story short, I had the separator changed along with the plastic breather hoses that feed connect to it and I picked it up earlier this afternoon. It was quoted as being a "crankcase vent valve..."
The car is still smoking... I took it back right away and I was told that its most certainly residual oil that needs to burn off and it should go away shortly.
I drove it for about 20 - 30 miles, and the car feels and sounds great, but still smoking.
Any thoughts or advise?
I bought the car from Minnesota after it was checked out through Porsche in St Paul. I drove it home to New Jersey and I never once saw any sign of any smoke or smelt nothing burning at all in the 6000 miles I've driven it since purchase.
I'm left scratching my head, wondering what could have possibly happen from one day to the next... I can't help but think that if there is some catastrophic engine failure happening, I'd see some kind of notice or warning, or I'd hear something before suddenly coughing big clouds of smoke from totally seemingly normal operations.

Please help.

Thanks for your time

Brian
Old 01-15-2018, 11:12 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I am not quite understanding the smoking behavior. Are you saying it only smokes on startup or also at idle and when driving? What about when stepping on the gas hard underway or revving the engine with no load? Crankcase vent valve and AOS are the two easy things to try first. These are the first steps I would do to investigate:

1. Thoroughly inspect the intake plumbing to see if it is coming from one side in particular indicating you may have a bad turbo seal. Also, check to see how full of oil the drivers side intercooler plumbing has become. You might just have a hell of a pool of oil in there.
2. Scan it using a computer that can read Porsche codes that might not have fired an SES light yet.
3. Pull the plugs and see if it is one particular cylinder giving you grief.

Last edited by nodoors; 01-16-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:14 AM
Brian J Canberg
Intermediate

Thanks very much for the reply.
I realize I wasn’t clear enough explaining the smoking.
I don’t see anything at idle. Usually puffs on start up. It will smoke as I give it gas while parked. Intermittently. Same while driving. It’s far from steady, but when it happens, it’s obvious. I’ll leave clouds at intersections... and I’ll notice it clear up while driving at comfortable speed, 35-45mph then suddenly I won’t be able to see out the rear window and I’ll be leaving a trail of smoke.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:52 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't think a bad AOS or crankcase vent will cause that much smoke. Check them both out and do the other things on the list, then get back to us.

After your description, it is sounding more like a turbo to me. This could take out one or both of your catalytic converters and/or o2 sensors pretty quickly if it is as bad as I am picturing. I am sure others will chime in with more advice and experience.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:40 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Purchase a diagnostic scan tool like Durametric or others, if you intend to diagnose issues before a visit to the indy shop.

With the info you are providing we can only offer a wild guess.

With a video of the smoke and diagnostic codes maybe we can narrow it down for you.
The following users liked this post:
deilenberger (09-30-2020)
Old 01-16-2018, 01:38 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Any chance your oil level is a good bit over full. Blown turns on these don't happen very often.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:57 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Your CTT is turning into first direct injected two stroke V8 turbo in the world ;-)

Fun aside, all valid points ^^^. The turbo housings like to crack on the inside, all the way to the bearing and can ingest oil through there - I have changed a couple of sets to prove this
You won't be able to tell until you pull them. To pull them, you have to pull the engine... welcome to the wonderful world of cayenne tt ;-)
Old 01-16-2018, 02:27 PM
Brian J Canberg
Intermediate

Trying to post a few videos I took of the exhaust but I’m editing them down to. 2 second clips so they can conform to size guidelines.
I got one up. More to come.
Attached Files
Old 01-16-2018, 02:30 PM
Brian J Canberg
Intermediate

It’s possible that they overfilled it. They did full brakes and a service while trying to diagnose the smoke. But that wouldn’t explain the sudden smoking originally. I drove it right about 5000mi since I bought it. Never smoked a lick.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:32 PM
Brian J Canberg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lupo.sk
Your CTT is turning into first direct injected two stroke V8 turbo in the world ;-)

Fun aside, all valid points ^^^. The turbo housings like to crack on the inside, all the way to the bearing and can ingest oil through there - I have changed a couple of sets to prove this
You won't be able to tell until you pull them. To pull them, you have to pull the engine... welcome to the wonderful world of cayenne tt ;-)
So, this sounds like one of the last things, if not dead last on a short list of things to do to diagnose...
Old 01-16-2018, 02:34 PM
Brian J Canberg
Intermediate

I was also told that there wasn’t a single fault code. The battery failed a voltage test. So we did a new battery. But scanned and scanned and found no codes.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:39 PM
Brian J Canberg
Intermediate

My greatest frustration is coming from having spent 1500 on new pads and rotors, 400 on a battery and being told that the AOS had a tear and that it’s done and I’m all good.
I brought it back after it smoked the whole way home and he insisted that it’s just residual oil burning off.
I would have much rather preferred to spend the money on fixing the damn smoke than putting brand new brakes on a truck I shouldn’t be driving... wtf...
Old 01-16-2018, 02:57 PM
Brian J Canberg
Intermediate

Video of start up
Attached Files
Old 01-16-2018, 03:10 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

If more smoke is coming out of one exhaust pipe than the other, check the spark plugs on that side of the engine (you could have all the smoke on one side, a little smoke on one side and a lot of smoke on the other side or roughly equal amounts of smoke on both sides. If the spark plugs look good, I'd vote for a cracked turbo housing. If 1 or more spark plugs look fouled with oil (black, ugly buildup on the plug, may even look wet), the problem is inside the engine. If the spark plugs look good, that would be even more reason to suspect the turbo housing being cracked. If all the smoke or most of the smoke is from one side, that would indicate the side with a cracked turbo or bad cylinder.

Valve guide leakage is (relatively) common as engine problems go, but it generally involves just one cylinder and it doesn't typically appear suddenly... it gets worse slowly over time. And smoke from valve guide problems is worse right after the car has been sitting with the engine off for a while (oil leaks past the valve seal(s) and drips into a cylinder while the engine is not running. This doesn't sound like it could be the cause of the problem you are having.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:14 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian J Canberg
My greatest frustration is coming from having spent 1500 on new pads and rotors, 400 on a battery and being told that the AOS had a tear and that it’s done and I’m all good.
I brought it back after it smoked the whole way home and he insisted that it’s just residual oil burning off.
I would have much rather preferred to spend the money on fixing the damn smoke than putting brand new brakes on a truck I shouldn’t be driving... wtf...

With a AOS tear it usually makes a very loud whistling sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIV-LTGFsgw&feature=youtu.be

Since you did not mention this I am surprised the indy decided to replace it.

Quick Reply: 08 Cayenne Turbo suddenly blowing smoke