Sponsored by:

Transmission Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 03:32 PM
gheetow
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Swap

I'm wondering if it would be possible/feasible to replace the automatic transmission in my 05 Turbo with a manual. I think I might be able to find the parts but I'm wondering if a) it's a ridiculous amount of work and/or b) the end result will be worth it... I love everything about the car except the transmission and being able to mate all that power to a 6-speed manual sounds like a lot of fun.

Does anyone have any experience trying this? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jay
Old 12-24-2017, 03:53 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 303 Likes on 232 Posts

I don't believe it's been done.

The biggest problem will be with the ECUs. This car communicates just about everything. To everything else.

Without programming them to understand that the auto trans is not there anymore, I don't think you can get it to run properly (if at all).

Keep in mind that the wiring harness under the carpet can get wet, the copper oxidizes away and the car won't crank (and throws all sorts of odd dash warnings). All because a single communication wire is broken.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:13 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

There is no module associated with the M/T. Swapping with a OEM M/T should simplify the task but locating one is the challenge. Not many M/T Cayennes sold in the US.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:41 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 303 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by v10rick
There is no module associated with the M/T. Swapping with a OEM M/T should simplify the task but locating one is the challenge. Not many M/T Cayennes sold in the US.
Right. But there is an ECM associated with the auto. Remove that without reprogramming the whole thing and I doubt it would work.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:03 AM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

I would just do it and see
If you want to source an MT trans from a 955 V8 from yerp, let me know.

For example:
https://m.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/detail...utm_medium=ios
Old 12-30-2017, 04:28 PM
Rossi
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

I read few month ago about Florida company working on a project putting manual tranny into 991 GT3 RS,
Huge job as far as programming, they are using 911 R ECU to make it work for the manual transmission.
I am sure, Cayenne is not as complex, but just see for your self, it is long shot I think, unless you have some unlimited resources.
BTW, I wish you luck, I definitely hope you can, as TTS with manual tranny would be fantastic. Make sure to start a "build thread" if you ever pursue this.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a10283723/991-gt3-rs-manual-swap/

https://thegarage.jalopnik.com/how-t...-ge-1796808515

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-and-911r/989225-1-of-1-manual-991-gt3rs-the-car-porsche-didn-t-build-but-i-did.html
Old 12-30-2017, 07:11 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

Cayenne is quite complex especially for its time, and built very differently than the line of cars. The answer to this is simple. Will the PIWIS software allow you to code a turbo ecu for a manual transmission? Looking @ my PIWIS 1 I do not see that option. Turbo ecu coding is going to be looking for the tiptronic module as well as the gateway being coded for a turbo and looking for certain things.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:30 PM
CATMANUNO
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@J'sWorld I wonder if you could swap a 957 GTS with a manual transmission since it was an available option when ordering new. Any thoughts on this?
Old 12-07-2021, 08:32 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

Dollars to doughnuts it won't work "easily" you can make anything work but at what expense and effort ... All for a manual ? screw that ...Just stick in another auto and be done with it and spend that saved energy on your wife or girlfriend !
Old 12-07-2021, 09:09 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by CATMANUNO
@J'sWorld I wonder if you could swap a 957 GTS with a manual transmission since it was an available option when ordering new. Any thoughts on this?
Why not, node it for the manual.
Old 12-08-2021, 11:02 PM
dwebb99
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I say it would be a huge ($$$$) undertaking with big time risks. IMO, best look for a oem stick Cayenne and never look back.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:53 PM
CayenneTSM
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I swapped my 955 Turbo S with a manual gearbox from a 955 Cayenne S .
ratio is 6gear manual= 5gear automatic

You need gearbox with shiftercables and shifter.
Clutch and flywheel and the shorter bolts.
piping and Master and slave cylinder.
Clutch pedal and break pedal and the plate there you bolt it up to.
for plate swaping you need to remove the dash.
clutch switch
harness from transmission for backup light switch and neutral Position switch.

After all is fitted just look at wiring Diagram and wire up clutch switch, backuplight switch and neutral switch.
Then recode modules with piwis to manual car.

After this it drives but is still looking for the tcu, I unplugged it.

Engine ecu needs work done or you get tcu missing in engine ecu and abs and you have no Power. So far no solution found by me. Next year I want to call some tuners, I personally think its a job that can be done.
The following users liked this post:
bad_mutha (01-21-2022)
Old 12-29-2021, 02:51 AM
Andrew_955
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by CayenneTSM
Engine ecu needs work done or you get tcu missing in engine ecu and abs and you have no Power. So far no solution found by me. Next year I want to call some tuners, I personally think its a job that can be done.
In other (older) vehicles that I've manual swapped it can be helpful to fool the car into thinking it's in 2nd gear instead of neutral. Most things run a different map in neutral with less power and sometimes even a lower rev limit.

If the ABS is complaining then you may also be down a transmission speed sensor which might affect the tune.

Great effort on the swap though, sounds like a huge project. I'm curious how a CTTS would drive as a manual. Seems well suited to the auto but I guess it would be even more engaging if you could row your own gears quickly enough.
Old 12-29-2021, 03:05 AM
CayenneTSM
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew_955
In other (older) vehicles that I've manual swapped it can be helpful to fool the car into thinking it's in 2nd gear instead of neutral. Most things run a different map in neutral with less power and sometimes even a lower rev limit.

If the ABS is complaining then you may also be down a transmission speed sensor which might affect the tune.

Great effort on the swap though, sounds like a huge project. I'm curious how a CTTS would drive as a manual. Seems well suited to the auto but I guess it would be even more engaging if you could row your own gears quickly enough.
The big point is you have more problems with tcu plugged in then without it, you cant trick this car , its full of complex can bus data.

ABS is complaning because engine ecu is complaning. So if I get engine Ecu without the Fault abs followes this.
All cayenne V8 use same Me7.1.1 and same ABS this is a big Bonus point.
You can basically use a S ECU as a Turbo ECU .
Old 12-30-2021, 01:08 AM
hopsis
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

From hardware standpoint yes, software is another thing. There never was a manual transmission turbo 955 so it's going to be a lot of manual (pun unintended) work. I'm not saying it cannot be done but You can skip all those "tuners" that only know how to flash a bulk file from a database. It will require deep knowledge of the ME7 environment,I recommend finding someone who has worked with B5 S4 and C5 RS6 Audis.

Quick Reply: Transmission Swap