Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I buy a lemon? 08 Cayenne S, need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 12:21 PM
mungojerie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the video. I'd say it sounded most like the "after" sound when the hood was up, at around 0:35 in.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:15 PM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

out of curiosity i looked up price on a used cayenne engine - https://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGINE-08-P...VaA0Pq&vxp=mtr
Old 12-03-2017, 01:16 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by mungojerie
No, I haven't seen pictures from a borescope camera. I'm not a car person, but before we bought it there was a clicking sound coming from the engine. Seller said that's a normal direct-injection click. Nothing you notice while driving, just while standing outside the car.

Thanks again for all of the input! Let me know if there's anything else I should ask/look into while we try to work this out.
If you heard it several feet away with the hood closed, you have scored cylinders.
As prosled8 mentioned, the original owner most likely knew and dumped it. Hopefully the dealer will make things right with you.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:37 PM
diver110
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Any implied warranty is a function of the state you are in. You might google it for NC. I am assuming there was no contractual warranty between you and the dealer. In all events, read the sales contract. Situation sucks. Sorry for your troubles.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:59 PM
jfort
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default My guess

Is that it is at least one scored cylinder. I was 0 for 2 on Cayenne V8’s. That’s why I have a 6. You are the victim of a fraud.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:28 PM
diver110
Racer

To be fraud, the dealer must have known, or perhaps,should have known, about the problem without disclosing it. How likely is it that the dealer would not have known?
Old 12-03-2017, 10:41 PM
Kirill
Racer

Originally Posted by diver110
To be fraud, the dealer must have known, or perhaps,should have known, about the problem without disclosing it. How likely is it that the dealer would not have known?
There was a misfire code, and the dealer changed the plugs - dealer knew something is up - but maybe didn't know the whole scope of the problem. Need to see how many miles dealer put on, if oil level alarm came in couple hundred miles and dealer had the car for couple hundred miles - they knew about oil consumption too.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:46 PM
diver110
Racer

It is important, because if it fraud, a warranty is irrelevant. OP should be able to get money back. Might take a law suit.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:51 AM
mungojerie
Intermediate

Seller is telling me it can't be scored cylinders or it would have misfired constantly from the get-go. He said, "We wouldn't have scoped it prior as it was perfect and had no issues. If it had scored cylinder walls it would have been constantly misfiring the whole time we had it, test drove it, you had it, etc."

If it was scored from sitting too long in cold New Jersey winters, should it have constantly misfired like he says? Or could it have taken some driving like I did to reveal the issue?
Old 12-04-2017, 11:19 AM
Kirill
Racer

Seller is telling me it can't be scored cylinders or it would have misfired constantly from the get-go. He said, "We wouldn't have scoped it prior as it was perfect and had no issues. If it had scored cylinder walls it would have been constantly misfiring the whole time we had it, test drove it, you had it, etc."
It did misfire - you have 308 code on PPI report.
Do you have carfax ? can you post it? Curious to see how old were the plugs before seller replaced them. On your pic you have couple plugs covered in oil - I guess this one is from the cylinder 8.
Plugs should've been previously replaced as part of 40k service - if that service is done by a dealer - it may be on carfax.
Also curious how plug 8 looks now - probably very similar but you only have couple hundred miles on it.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:24 AM
mungojerie
Intermediate

I'll see if I have the Carfax. I might have a paper copy, otherwise I left it with the seller.

Seller's point is that if it were sold to me with scored cylinders, I couldn't have driven on it as much as I did before a misfire. I drove a few hundred miles just fine, then CEL came on but was *not flashing*. Only drove a total of 15 mi at slow speed with flashing CEL, and only after a Porsche dealer service center told me it would be OK to do so.

Is seller right? They had no need to check engine prior to selling it because it "was perfect"? How would they know if it was perfect?
Old 12-04-2017, 11:43 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

If it was scored from sitting too long in cold New Jersey winters, should it have constantly misfired like he says? Or could it have taken some driving like I did to reveal the issue?
It's time to get a lawyer involved unless you're willing to be out the cost to repair. The seller is claiming it was perfect and it obviously wasn't. They don't want it back and they don't want to give you your money back. DO check what your state laws say about a used car - it is possible that a licensed dealer has some obligation under the terms of their license to make good.

And NJ winters aren't all that cold. It's 52 here today, and the ground hasn't frozen yet.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:12 PM
Kirill
Racer

I'll see if I have the Carfax. I might have a paper copy, otherwise I left it with the seller.

Seller's point is that if it were sold to me with scored cylinders, I couldn't have driven on it as much as I did before a misfire. I drove a few hundred miles just fine, then CEL came on but was *not flashing*. Only drove a total of 15 mi at slow speed with flashing CEL, and only after a Porsche dealer service center told me it would be OK to do so.

Is seller right? They had no need to check engine prior to selling it because it "was perfect"? How would they know if it was perfect?
Disclaimer: You shouldn't take any advice from me - cause I have no idea what I am talking about. It would take some really good expert to piece everything together.

I think you can drive few miles on scored cylinders. With new plugs and oil level topped up - it will take few hundred miles for the problem to surface. New plug on scored cylinder may fire ok for short time, but it will be covered in oil shortly.

There is no reason to borescope every car that comes thru dealer lot - seller is right here, but:

Seller saw the 308 code for misfire and changed the plugs and may be topped up oil. It temporary fixed the issue of the bad plug, but it didn't fix the root cause of why plug is bad. You can make a case that any person engaged in automotive repair business when looking at a plug covered in oil - should know that there is an underlying issue that caused it.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:50 PM
mungojerie
Intermediate

One more thing to be clear on: the misfire code came from Porsche, 10 days after purchase. I am unclear on if the seller had codes of any sort, from the sell or from when I had them review the CEL.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:03 PM
Kirill
Racer

One more thing to be clear on: the misfire code came from Porsche, 10 days after purchase. I am unclear on if the seller had codes of any sort, from the sellYou or from when I had them review the CEL.
You posted PPI readout - there is 0308 code - this is misfire on cylinder 8 code

Quick Reply: Did I buy a lemon? 08 Cayenne S, need help