Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing the iSimple ISFM2351 FM modulator w/Bluetooth into my '04 Cayenne S

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017 | 07:20 PM
rting
Instructor

Default Installing the iSimple ISFM2351 FM modulator w/Bluetooth into my '04 Cayenne S

I am attempting the above install and hit a wall - I cannot remove the air-conditioning panel and the ashtray so I can wire the unit towards the fuse box. The above unit can be seen here:
Amazon Amazon

I was able to remove the CDR-23 radio but could not find any screws / notches, etc, for the removal of the a/c panel (in front of the gears shift stick).

Anyone knows how to remove / re-install?

Essentially, I want to wire the radio - the CDR-23 - to switched power controlled by the radio power switch. I have gotten far enough to the extent that all cables and the antenna are unplugged from the CDR-23 unit.

I do have a voltmeter / multimeter. So if anyone have an idea of wiring it to switched power with the radio immediate behind the radio, it will be ideal.

Help please!

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by rting; 10-02-2017 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Amendments, garammar
Old 10-02-2017 | 09:31 PM
rting
Instructor

Saw this: http://www.tehnomagazin.com/images/P...s%20pinout.jpg

Will see if I can examine socket A's pins ... for now
Old 10-03-2017 | 06:58 PM
deilenberger
Banned

I think this might get a better response over on the general Cayenne forum. The DIY forum is for instructions on DIY procedures - not so much questions.

I'll move it over for you.
Old 10-03-2017 | 10:22 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

No need to go tearing the dash apart. You should be able to simply use a snap-on line splice from the CDR23 harness.

When you open your door, you'll notice the ring around the volume control light up...the Cayenne is sending power to the head unit at that point. When you turn off the ignition and leave the car, that ring of light will turn off after several minutes and your modulator should too.

Brown was ground but I can't remember what color wire I used for power...might have been a wake up wire for the amp? It only took a few seconds to find it with a VOM.
Old 10-04-2017 | 01:18 AM
rting
Instructor

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I think this might get a better response over on the general Cayenne forum. The DIY forum is for instructions on DIY procedures - not so much questions.

I'll move it over for you.
Oh! My apologies and thank you.
Old 10-04-2017 | 01:29 AM
rting
Instructor

Originally Posted by 19psi
No need to go tearing the dash apart. You should be able to simply use a snap-on line splice from the CDR23 harness.

When you open your door, you'll notice the ring around the volume control light up...the Cayenne is sending power to the head unit at that point. When you turn off the ignition and leave the car, that ring of light will turn off after several minutes and your modulator should too.

Brown was ground but I can't remember what color wire I used for power...might have been a wake up wire for the amp? It only took a few seconds to find it with a VOM.

Oh ok. Didn't know such snap on line splice existed but thanks!

Yes! Brown was ground from the pin outs and my voltmeter.

See picture. Was it the white or the dual color (pink+yellow)? I detached the socket and measured the voltage. The pink+yellow is constant 12V and white is zero.

I am not sure which one I should splice ... and which A.W.G. snap-on line splice - say 10-12AWG?
Attached Images  

Last edited by rting; 10-04-2017 at 01:56 AM.
Old 10-04-2017 | 09:52 AM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Attach your meter to the brown and red/yellow wires. Leave the meter where you can see it, make sure the ignition key is removed and close your doors. Wait about 10 minutes and see if your 12 volts disappears. Open the door and if the 12 volts comes back, that connection should work.

If it stays 12 volts it won't work since whatever you attach to it will eventually drain your battery.
Old 10-04-2017 | 11:29 AM
rting
Instructor

Originally Posted by 19psi
Attach your meter to the brown and red/yellow wires. Leave the meter where you can see it, make sure the ignition key is removed and close your doors. Wait about 10 minutes and see if your 12 volts disappears. Open the door and if the 12 volts comes back, that connection should work.

If it stays 12 volts it won't work since whatever you attach to it will eventually drain your battery.
Okay ... doing it now.

I was wondering in your car, it did work (with either the red/yellow OR the white) and the power goes away right? And no draining of your battery right?
Old 10-04-2017 | 12:46 PM
rting
Instructor

No, the pink / yellow wire stays on with 12V after 25 minutes or so.

I was wondering in your car, it did work (with either the red/yellow OR the white) and the power goes away right? And no draining of your battery right?

The white wire is for pin A5 ... apparently it is for the "Antenna"'s power of 12V according to the CDR-23 rear pin outs I can see on the Internet?

Last edited by rting; 10-04-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-04-2017 | 04:03 PM
rting
Instructor

Update:

I attached the socket back to the CDR23 unit and decided to measure both wires again.

- red/yellow (or pink/yellow) wire - not switched off (maintained 12V) even when the light on the CDR23 unit is off.
- white wire - SWITCHED off (did not maintained 12V) after the light on the CDR23 unit is off.

So I will use the white wire.
Old 10-05-2017 | 12:30 AM
rting
Instructor

Default '04 Cayenne S original key fob not working

Today, I managed to install and get a Bluetooth unit to work with my CDR23. MODERATOR - LINK EDITED OUT SINCE IT NO LONGER EXISTS - THREADS HAVE BEEN MERGED.
However, after I finished with all the work above - which involved connecting and disconnecting the radio multiple times. My key fob does not work ... no light blinking at all when pressed.

Put in a new CR-2032 battery. Still does not work. Locked and unlocked with key - the car seemed to respond normally when using the physical key.

The old battery measured around 3V and the new battery measured around 3.2V on my voltmeter ... but it looks like a bigger problem?

My wife's key fob is working normally.

What is going on?

Last edited by deilenberger; 10-05-2017 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Two threads create an invalid link.
Old 10-05-2017 | 12:33 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Look in your Owner's Manual, for correct sequence of basic key programming. The battery change leaves the key fob in a "reset" state... until it is re-programmed.
Old 10-05-2017 | 12:59 AM
rting
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dilberto
Look in your Owner's Manual, for correct sequence of basic key programming. The battery change leaves the key fob in a "reset" state... until it is re-programmed.
I can only find the part about "The key codes of new keys have to be 'reported' to the vehicle control module by your authorized Porsche dealer."

The display (middle of the dashboard) is still showing a message regarding the key needing a new battery.

Old 10-05-2017 | 01:09 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

The aftermarket BT install somehow wiped the coding of your car. Dealer is the only option, at this point...
Old 10-05-2017 | 01:20 AM
rting
Instructor

When I press the buttons - any one - no light comes on ... so ...

Quick Reply: Installing the iSimple ISFM2351 FM modulator w/Bluetooth into my '04 Cayenne S