Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 02:28 AM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 83 944 suspension

83' 944 suspension
street/autocross 944
im considering getting from performance products: stock ride height, 220lb, front springs, and 26mm rear torsion bars. what are the stock spring rates and torsion bar sizes/rates? what are the spring heights and diameters of 83' 944s? spring heights and diameters for 928s from the late 70s? i could possibly get the rear springs out of a 78' 928. those are rated at 300lbs. i cant lower my car because i already have trouble w/ speed bumps and driveways and some streets. if the 928 rear springs would fit on the front of my car, would 30mm torsion bars be big enough for the rear. they're the biggest sold by performance products. any advice on already known suspension set ups and suppliers? the torsion bars and springs would be under $400 from performance products. id like to stay in this price range. all help is appreciated!

unrelated?: my 944 has a 2 peice shift ***/ boot. my 81' 924 has a 1 piece shift ***/ boot. ive been told my 944 must have aftermarket parts. the shift boot has a plastic base that snaps into the center console. the leather goes up from there, but isnt connected to the shifter itself. in my 924 the leather wraps the shifter and is attached directly to the metal under the console (w/o the plastic base). does anyone else have a 944 with this 2 piece plastic/leather set up?
Old 11-15-2003, 06:47 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as I know, you are going to have a hard time with the front. The only front springs sold are about 1 1/2 inches lower. Measured with a ruler, I get 4 1/2 inches across the spring. If I were you I would just measure everything, and go to a speed shop, and try to find 220 lb springs in the height you need. Remember though if you buy them exactly the same height, the car will probably ride higher, because they wont compress as much as the 160 lb springs that are stock. Also, all hot rod springs I have seen are 5 inches accross, so that's another problem. You could check with Eibach, and see if they have anything, but they didn't when I bought mine. Mine are 1 1/2 lower, and when I drove it on the street, I didn't have too much problem, but I was very careful. I know nothing about 928 springs.

The rear is no problem. Just put either 28, 29, or 30mm torsion bars in. I have 30mm gundrilled. It's a real job, but if I can do it anyone should be able to handle the job. I am very mechanically challenged. Just take your time, and actually, I would drop the torsion tube from the car, it makes measuring easier. You have to measure carefully, or your ride height will be all screwed up. I had to take it apart at least 10 times to get both sides equal. I was also lowering to equal the front. Use Weltmeister bushings, instead of the rubber ones. Don't use Weltmeister up front, as they break up there. My rears have been in for 10 years with no problem.

I bought mine from a company that is no longer in business, but a friend did his like mine, and got them from Paragon Products. They advertise in both Pano and Excellence. (I'm talking about the rears here) You should be able to do it within your budget, but that does not include shocks. I really would change shocks, but that is up to you. If you add them later then you have to take the fronts apart again, and that means another $100 alignment. That brings up the subject of alignment, putting this stuff in will make you need to align the whole car, and around here that costs $100. Remember most regular alignment shops cant do the rear of a 944, so ask first, and ask to see the tool. I don't trust alignment shops. I have seen them do nothing, and charge you for an alignment, then in 1500 miles when your tires are worn out, then they say you must have hit something. I always watch them do it, and if they won't let you be suspicious. Most independent Porsche repair shops are honest, and have the tool.

My shifter is homemade, sorry.

Good luck

Bill Seifert

944 Race Car

Quick Reply: 83 944 suspension