Notices

Caster implications when adding gt3 LCA

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 03:05 AM
jimk04
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caster implications when adding gt3 LCA

I am adding some gt3 lca to my 986 for some added camber. Aswell as some trg top mounts.

I aiming for an aggressive streetmild track setup as it is my daily driver.

What did I need to know about the knock on effects to the caster? The caster pucks have the 2 holes as you know, do I go for the offset one or stick with the central one?

I guess I won't be needing adjustable tuning forks?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-19-2015, 10:26 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

When you add shims to the lower control arm it draws the suspension forward and adds caster. It depends on how much camber you are shooting for. If you are going for 2.5 or more than rotate the upper mounts (change the stud holes) so the offset is more toward the inside. This will keep you from having to add too many shims and throwing the caster way off. You can use either hole in the control arm but with rubber inner bushings they normally want to only fall into one hole. With a fairly straight car, if you have equal shims right/left the caster numbers should be fairly even. If you want to mess with wheel base then the adjustable diagonals would be nice but in most cases its not worth the hassle.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:41 PM
jimk04
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that.

I'm looking to get -2.5deg. I have some TRG gt3 style top mounts coming, so that'll get me a decent bit, so hopefully minimum shimming on the arms.

I had thought that adding shims and needing the other hole in the lca puck must put some load/twist into the inner Bush.

Quick Reply: Caster implications when adding gt3 LCA