Electrical water pump + moving alternator forward

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 05:06 AM
GT2Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Electrical water pump + moving alternator forward

Hi Rennlisters,

Has anyone been trying to get rid of the mechanical water pump and move the alternator to the front of the gearbox in order to get rid of all the beltdriven wheels at the rear of the 997 engine?

Rgds Gt2driver
Old 11-09-2011, 08:55 PM
autodoctor911
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default accessory drive belt elimination

are you already running manual steering or an electric power steering?
I am looking to put an electric ps put an electric ps pump in my 996.
I had not really considered eliminating the belt drive entirely, but that would be good on a car that only sees short duration track sessions or sprint races. I am not sure how much is to be gained overall, unless the dme is smart enough to load the alternator fully when not at wot, then release the alternator for wot accelleration. max power would definitely improve without the drag from the belt, but the energy to run those items then must come from the alternator/generator, which still uses engine torque/power to create the electricity, just hopefully not when you need max power from the engine.

why not put some front driveshafts in and hook them up to a coulpe of electric motor/generators. then under braking you could generate all the electrical power you could need, then on accell you could use some of that energy to help accellerate, but you would need a way to store and release massive amounts of current quickly. Maybe if you put a flywheel attatched to an electric motor/generator somewhere in the car, you could have the motor spin up the flywheel with the current generated under decelleration, then when you go to accelerate again, reverse the process.

wow, you could even get rid of the starter too, since the motors on the front wheels should be able to "push start the vehicle".

wait, I think somebody might have tried this already. I think it was the GT3 hybrid race car.

Ahh. we could do it aftermarket, and maybe even get away with racing it in a current class, with rules that allow any "braking system" usnntil it wins at least.

Quick Reply: Electrical water pump + moving alternator forward