Notices

Knock sensors and semi-solid mounts

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 10:37 AM
Wanderer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock sensors and semi-solid mounts

I have been reading about WEVO semi-solid mounts and there seem to be a lot of pluses to these. But I also have read a few scattered comments about the increased vibrations possibly affecting the knock sensors and therefore reducing engine power because of the possibly false knock readings. Does anyone have any real experience with this? Perhaps a dyno of before and after the mount installations?
Old 06-19-2010, 08:40 PM
sandersd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds implausible given all the cars that run solid engine mounts. I would discount any but first person accounts, and I would take those with a grain of salt minus hard data that can be repeated and verified independently.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:29 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Wanderer
I have been reading about WEVO semi-solid mounts and there seem to be a lot of pluses to these. But I also have read a few scattered comments about the increased vibrations possibly affecting the knock sensors and therefore reducing engine power because of the possibly false knock readings. Does anyone have any real experience with this? Perhaps a dyno of before and after the mount installations?
JMHO, but there are no knock-sensor issues with using Wevo mounts or even Motorsport solid ones. Those sensors are piezoelectric microphones and tuned to pick up vibrations from the cylinder assemblies, only.

If someone is experiencing a power loss issue, there are plenty of places to look at besides this one that will yield the source of the problem,....
Old 06-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Wanderer
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I may pick up a set and try them out.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I can tell you from my testing of knock sensors and MoTeC ECUs, that solid engine mounts can affect the engine noise and therefore the signal to noise ratio that the knock sensors are reading. In some cases it requires sampling on a different frequency. For instance, testing on a Chevrolet V8 engine with and without solid engine mounts showed a difference to the point where the knock sensors would not properly function with the solid engine mounts ON THE SAME SAMPLING FREQUENCY as with rubber mounts. Moving the sampling frequency around allowed the knock sensor to function properly.

HOWEVER, I agree with Steve and haven't seen any issues with Wevo mounts on the 964 engine. Don't forget that the 964 Cup cars ran solid engine mounts without issue, although, I don't know if there is a difference in the knock sampling frequency. Perhaps Lorenb would know.
The following users liked this post:
Trumbo (06-24-2019)
Old 06-21-2010, 09:43 AM
Wanderer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I can tell you from my testing of knock sensors and MoTeC ECUs, that solid engine mounts can affect the engine noise and therefore the signal to noise ratio that the knock sensors are reading. In some cases it requires sampling on a different frequency. For instance, testing on a Chevrolet V8 engine with and without solid engine mounts showed a difference to the point where the knock sensors would not properly function with the solid engine mounts ON THE SAME SAMPLING FREQUENCY as with rubber mounts. Moving the sampling frequency around allowed the knock sensor to function properly.

HOWEVER, I agree with Steve and haven't seen any issues with Wevo mounts on the 964 engine. Don't forget that the 964 Cup cars ran solid engine mounts without issue, although, I don't know if there is a difference in the knock sampling frequency. Perhaps Lorenb would know.

Interesting. This installation would be on a 2008 Cayman S. What would be the process of testing to tell before and after if there is a problem?
Old 06-21-2010, 02:30 PM
RL Technical Advisor

You will not have any problems on a Cayman.

Monitoring knock counts before & after with the PIWIS will show there are no issues,...
Old 11-16-2011, 03:38 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

So would you suggest solid or semi solid mounts for the trans and engine? Or does it matter? Thanks
Old 11-22-2011, 09:05 PM
RL Technical Advisor

I'm no fan of solid mounts so I'd be using some kind of rubber or urethane ones.

Quick Reply: Knock sensors and semi-solid mounts