Notices

Coil Over Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 08:58 PM
chstephens5219
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil Over Advice

I have a 1985 911 Carrera that is completely dedicated to the track. It has a complete list of mods, from engine, to body to suspension. I am currently running 31mm hollow rear and 22mm hollow front torsion bars, with Bilstein Sports on the rear and HD up front. Adjustable sway bars, turbo tie rods, drop links for steering alignment, strut brace etc. etc. etc....

Question. I want to convert to coil over springs. The car is about 2300lbs empty (2500lbs with me). I will use my Bilsteins, but am looking for input on appropriate coil spring rates. My thinking at present is 400lb front and 600lb rear, as I am used to my current track setup.

Anyone have experience with this process? Thanks in advance.

Craig
Old 10-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Craig,

The main, overriding reason to install coilovers is when you require spring rates that cannot be achieved with torsion bars. One requires a full and complete roll cage that connects & triangulates all of the suspension pickup points together to get the requisite stiffness.

Assuming you have that, precise spring rates are chosen after factoring your wheel/tire package as well as your experience & skill levels.

Lastly, one's budget plays a role here since there are HUGE handling differences between Bilstein's and some thing like Moton or JRZ's.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:44 PM
chstephens5219
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve

Thanks for the quick and thorough response. I have the Safety Devices roll cage in the cabin - does not have a direct lock on the suspension points, however it does add significant rigidity.

Budget - I'd like to stick with the Bilsteins and get an Eibach spring set-up. I know it's not Moton, but I'm experimenting at this time. I'm also looking at the ease of height adjustment on a coil over. I run 20lb Enkei wheels (18 inch) with Nitto NT01 or Hankook Z214 (245/40 and 275/40).

Any suggestion on a coil lb rate to start from? Thanks again.

Craig
Old 10-13-2008, 02:46 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by chstephens5219
Steve

Thanks for the quick and thorough response. I have the Safety Devices roll cage in the cabin - does not have a direct lock on the suspension points, however it does add significant rigidity.

Budget - I'd like to stick with the Bilsteins and get an Eibach spring set-up. I know it's not Moton, but I'm experimenting at this time. I'm also looking at the ease of height adjustment on a coil over. I run 20lb Enkei wheels (18 inch) with Nitto NT01 or Hankook Z214 (245/40 and 275/40).

Any suggestion on a coil lb rate to start from? Thanks again.

Craig
Craig,

If you want coilovers, you will need to extend some tubes to the front strut towers and rear shock console and longitudinals as well as several reinforcements to the that rear console to stiffen it up.

Your Bilstein's will need threads (or RSR struts and shocks) raised and reinforced spindles, as well as revalving.

Without knowing your skill level and experience as well as your aero package, I couldn't offer anything accurate.

Quick Reply: Coil Over Advice