Notices

951 upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 08:06 PM
I_am_imprezed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 951 upgrade questions

Hey guys, new to the forum and had a few quick modification questions. Power wise my 88' 951 is stock and i was wondering what are some ways to make affordable power gains. I was thinking Lindsey racing downpipe w/ 3" exhaust and a custom tune? What gains will i net from that and are there other mods i should look into? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:50 PM
76 911s
Racer

Try posting in the Turbo/Turbo S specific forum, you'll probably get more response there. Is your 88 an S? With the exhaust only, you won't get much HP, if any. You will get a noticably faster spoolup however. To get any real gains in HP, you'll need to ditch the cycling valve for an EBC or MBC, and get some chips to go with that so you can raise the boost. Wastegate shims will also help hold boost better as your stock one will be worn (this affects spoolup and HP).
Old 06-14-2008, 12:42 AM
I_am_imprezed
Racer

Thanks i'll try that. It is not an S. I notice quite a bit of lag, more than my wrx so i figured exhaust would not only sound cool but help with less lag. Im hesitant to mess with the boost unless i have a pro-tuner do it, as well as chipping the car. I may go with a bigger turbo with external wastegate down the road but for now i cant afford that.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:53 PM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

Do a search and hop in the 944 turbo forums. This has been discussed soo many times. My advice:

1)set of chips that will raise boost as well
2)Tial 38mm wastegate and MBC
3) redo all vacuum lines and such
4)Exhaust

This should get you on a great start

Quick Reply: 951 upgrade questions