Notices

Serious Suspension Issues:

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002 | 07:37 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Exclamation Serious Suspension Issues:

I took my car into my local suspension shop where they have the latest equipment, all computerized, lasers, the works, and asked them to undo the 'track' settings that my local performance shop did because I wanted to try to make my tires last longer on the street and have a more "streetable" car.

Evidently, there is a problem. The driver's side rear toe cannot be adjusted any further, everything is maxed out and there is no turnbuckle or any adjustable control arm, everything is done via the cams and they are maxed and it still isn't right.

The following picture shows my suspension setup when the car came in and what they were able to do with it when they handed it back, although they did not work on the front very much because the back was so far out they didn't expect that it would make much difference until I take care of the rear toe issue.

My question is, how can I do so? Will new upper plates for the struts help? Is there an alternative lower control arm or toe adjustment arm that Porsche provides? I would appreciate any insight from someone with some serious suspension knowledge or a contact at Porsche who is going to know what to do about it.

BTW, I know the specs in the picture are for US Sport and I now have ROW Sport (Does anyone have those numbers for ROW btw?) but that doesn't change the fact that the toe can't be adjusted any further all that would do is alter the range in which items appear red, yellow, or green.

Old 10-08-2002 | 09:18 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Ken,
Sorry but I do not have the ROW sport specs to hand, but I can say from experience that you probably have a bent suspension component on your car provided that the alignment machine is in correct calibration.
We have had a Muller Bem alignment centre for over 4 years now and have never had an issue dialling in a Boxster, even after accident damage, so something is out somewhere.
Old 10-08-2002 | 09:53 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Well how can I find out what is "out" ? Nothing looks bent, I haven't hit anything. How can I tell? Where do I start?
Old 10-09-2002 | 01:42 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Why not take it back to the dealer that supplied it, get them to check it and then prove to them that you have not hit anything (that's the hard bit). Then I would tell 'em that the car is in a dangerous condition and that they must repair it under warranty as the car fails to meet Porsche design specifications.

I'm sure the threat of litigation will have the suitable response, after all, why should you have to fix something that you did not cause?

Otherwise get the tape out, compare sides, measure the chassis, check angles, etc....

Quick Reply: Serious Suspension Issues: