Notices

Heel and Toe

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 05:21 PM
louis v
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Heel and Toe

I have a 1986 911 and I have a problem rolling my foot on to the accelerator pedal. My brake pedal even at full braking is to high for my foot to reach the accelerator. Can anything be done to the pedals? Is this common? Are there after market pedals that can solve this?
Thanks.
Old 05-20-2002, 05:38 PM
J Stewart
Intermediate

Everybody pretty much has trouble with the 911 pedals (at least I do). Wings makes a very cool pedal that simply bolts onto the existing pedal with a clamp - so you won't have to put a hole in the stock pedal. It comes in a wide version w/ a heel flare or a more narrow version.
Look in the Rennlist - they usually have a postage stamp sized add - it'll cost about $100 but is really worth it.
Old 05-20-2002, 05:42 PM
J Stewart
Intermediate

Talking

Louis - go to the 993 forum and look under the message sent by Oleg Steciw - who's message is "finally have pictures of my car..." - he has an interior shot which clearly shows this Wings pedal - in the version w/ the wide heel piece. It is a perfect shot of it....Good luck....
Old 05-20-2002, 07:45 PM
88clbsport
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Does anyone have the factory aluminum pedals AND the WINGS pedal? Under heavy braking I can blip easily with my c4s but with the Club Sport it is very difficult. To make matters worse I just blew out my ankle again playing B-ball. I never realized how much I heel/toe without even thinking about it.

It is much easier in my e30 M3...great pedal placement.
Old 05-20-2002, 10:49 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
You can adjust your brake pedal height by removing your carpet and wooden floorboard, loosen the jam nuts on the brake pedal rod and then adjust the brake pedal rod which has heim joints on both ends to your desired brake pedal height. Costs nothing and only takes an hour. Worked for me and I read about it in Panos or Excellence.

Jim
Old 05-20-2002, 11:48 PM
JGriff
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by J Stewart:
<strong>Everybody pretty much has trouble with the 911 pedals (at least I do). Wings makes a very cool pedal that simply bolts onto the existing pedal with a clamp - so you won't have to put a hole in the stock pedal. It comes in a wide version w/ a heel flare or a more narrow version.
Look in the Rennlist - they usually have a postage stamp sized add - it'll cost about $100 but is really worth it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Do you know if this will also fit the pedal(s) of a 1990 944 S2?

I too have a bit of a problem heel-and-toeing with the way the pedals are placed. I would like it if the pedals were slightly closer together (and a bit more even when I depress the brake).

I'll check out the pic/link as well.

Thanks.

Jim
Old 05-21-2002, 04:31 PM
Mike A.
Instructor

I have a Wings pedal I'm not using. Anyone want to buy it?
Mike
Old 05-22-2002, 02:37 PM
C4S
Instructor

Mike-

Email me with how much you want for it. Thanks.

E

eisban@yahoo.com
Old 05-29-2002, 01:17 AM
88clbsport
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
I just sent the money to Mike....thanks.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:03 PM
Kent M. Wood
Advanced

I test drove a 2003 C4S and immediately asked the sales guy about the poor brake to gas pedal placement for heel and toe. He assured me it was normal. then a week later i drove my brothers 1965 356C and the brake and gas pedal were much closer and height was perfect. i would love to know why porsche has changed from such an ideal set-up to one that many of us are disappointed in.

chow, kent
Old 01-24-2003, 04:10 PM
Glenn from Denver
Instructor

Kent,

Your feeling about the C4S would change if you had been driving it very aggressively. I have found that the pedal position on the 986 and 996 variants are ideal when driven on track or in a "spirited" way. I have told my students who complain about this to just brake a little later. This forces them to brake harder and the pedals magically line up for them.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:58 AM
Chris Bennet
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Jim Bell:
<strong>You can adjust your brake pedal height by removing your carpet and wooden floorboard, loosen the jam nuts on the brake pedal rod and then adjust the brake pedal rod which has heim joints on both ends to your desired brake pedal height. Costs nothing and only takes an hour. Worked for me and I read about it in Panos or Excellence.

Jim</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">If you have stock brakes and you ever want to go to the track don't lower your brake pedal! Once you encounter brake fade you will be happy you still have that "extra" brake pedal travel.
-Chris
"If I'm the voice of reason here, we're in trouble."
Old 02-11-2003, 10:49 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have stock brakes and you ever want to go to the track don't lower your brake pedal! Once you encounter brake fade you will be happy you still have that "extra" brake pedal travel.
-Chris

I've been tracking my '87 930 with 400 HP, totally reworked suspension, etc... and stock brake calipers with PFC 90's and brake duct work from the air dam for three years now and have had no problems with this set up. Turns a 1:42 at Road Atlanta.

The brake pedal is not even with the gas pedal at rest, just closer and when pressed, works very well for heel and toe.

Jim
Old 02-13-2003, 11:01 AM
Chris Bennet
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Jim Bell:
<strong>If you have stock brakes and you ever want to go to the track don't lower your brake pedal! Once you encounter brake fade you will be happy you still have that "extra" brake pedal travel.
-Chris

I've been tracking my '87 930 with 400 HP, totally reworked suspension, etc... and stock brake calipers with PFC 90's and brake duct work from the air dam for three years now and have had no problems with this set up. Turns a 1:42 at Road Atlanta.

The brake pedal is not even with the gas pedal at rest, just closer and when pressed, works very well for heel and toe.

Jim</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Like I said, if you have stock brakes, don't lower your brake pedal. Having brake "duct work from the air dam" is not the stock brake setup. I must admit I was thinking of the '86 the original poster was referring to.
I have larger brakes on my '86 with extra brake cooling and I have (slightly) lowered my brake pedal - but only after I determined that I could run the car in multiple sessions back to back without experiencing any fade.
-Chris

Quick Reply: Heel and Toe