Notices

Ring and pinion

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 07:33 PM
mackgoo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ring and pinion

I've located a LSD for my transmission. So I need to swap out my dif. How plausible is it that if I just use the same bearing shims of the old dif and the same spacer gasket for the intermediate plate that the lash will be OK?
Any sugestions for getting this done in South East Ma?
Old 06-21-2002, 11:54 PM
addictionms
Instructor

I had a 930 LSD put into my 915, and it was quite different...

Jim
Old 06-24-2002, 09:32 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
If it were me, I would want to make sure that the spacing was set to factory specs. I would not assume that the old diff was machined EXACTLY the same as your new one. Remember, we are talking thousandths of inches here. Its really not worth the headache of having to take it out and reset it again or worse yet having it fail with metal through you whole transmission. If you're unsure, I'd take it to someone with a good reputation and spend the money to have it installed properly.
Old 06-24-2002, 02:45 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Geoffrey.

The setup for bearing and backlash is CRITICAL in a gearbox.

Do not skimp or you will most surely be replacing more parts than just bearings...

Norm
Old 06-26-2002, 12:12 AM
Howard
Racer

Mckgoo,

You can remove your existing dif and inspect the height from the side cover bearing surface to the top of the ring gear. This has to be done accurately,+ or - .001, with a height gauge on a surface plate if possible. You would then transfer your ring gear to the new differential and make sure the height from the reference point is duplicated by adding or subtracting shims. I did this last year and so far have not had any problems. One thing to remember, when you remove the existing assembly try and mark the engagement of the pinion and ring in order to re-install the two to mesh at the same point.

Quick Reply: Ring and pinion