Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 08:25 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
Many good "sounding" ideas here. However there is plenty to be said to "keep it simple". For the past 7 years I have used my car for countless hours of track weekend, and countless dyno time. Internals are all stock! I'm at over 400rwhp!!! I don't baby the car, but I don't abuse it either.
Equalizing the flow in the intake runners is a good idea, I've done it 6 years ago (not a new theory). I never had a blown head gasket (even at 25psi boost), and no #2 rod bearings failure.

The further you get from Porsche design (stock internals etc..), the wilder the mods, the less reliable the car will be.

Decide what you want, research the mods, and spend your money wisely. The best bang for the buck is learning how to drive a 951.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:54 PM
fusionsport
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
David I just moved from Nashville to here in Denver- in a few months you can see for yourself the 944 turbo motor I am doing for my customer there- it should romp
Old 01-16-2003, 12:17 AM
fusionsport
Instructor

fast951 not to go back and forth- I am aware of what can be done with bolt-ons, but beyond a cat back or air-filter NOTHING is simple- you put on a piggyback comp, boost controller, MAF, etc and it screws up and/or modify beyond its parameters then bang- expensive noises- years ago I looked at piggyback comps as a viable alternative to a stand alone then added up the cost- its not worth it. Yes I am aware there are maybe hundreds of cars running around with these systems in them, but I will never recommend to any customer to get one, although when the unichip came out it was interesting, I have decided against using it. It is simply too inexpensive in this day and age to simply drop in a complete stand-alone unit with modern technology which is safer, more tunable, and will grow as the car does. I am aware the piggybacks are getting better, as we all benefit from the japanese "rice rocket" craze, and techniology grows in leaps and bounds, they are simply to blunt an intrument for serious tuning- and are best left to mildly modded and driven cars. Too often I have been to the track and heard a mechanic or shop blamed for an engine failure when it was the decision to use inferior parts/technology that caused the failure. And no one is immune- once upon a time the shop I am currently with built 13-1 3.0 litre 911 race motors- the first ones cooked the oil on the back of the pistons, simply couldnt get rid of the heat fasst enough. Then they used coatings on them, as described above. No more oil burning and the motors run like raped apes. Its simply not worth the rebuild to count on getting lucky the engine will hold. Use the right parts, the first time, and you will have far fewer issues.
As far as equalizing flow on the intake runners Paul Scwartz at Simtec gets that credit, well him and CMW. It isnt as simple as simply augering out the intake to get numbers even, the intake must be cut and machined, then welded back together. The way I found out about it is when I was out of town a year or so ago with the pro team one of my customers had his car serviced by a "knowledgeable" mechanic, who while he had the intake off offered to have it "flowed" by a local machinist-(NOTE- there are very damned few good machinist left in this country, so beware most claiming to be)- A week or so after the intake was re-installed the car blew the #2, which baffled everyone as it was one of the striongest running 44 turbos in the area. On talking with Paul at Simtec, the subject of runner length/flow came up, and as they say- a light bulb went off. CMW found the intake to have a flow variance of as much as 24% between cylinders- in other words- it was going lean All due to the "port job" done to "increas flow" on the intake. Bang. New motor. So beware the snake oil salesmen- as I said the 44 engine is a robust and forgiving engine, which hides a lot of stupidity. Which generally costs other people money.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:03 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I agree with you dusionsport no need to go back and forth on this. I had a 3.0L 951 with a Motec system (all the goodies with Data Logging), never again!!!
Also, as for equalizing the intake, Paul Schwartz did mine about 6 years ago. Also he is at Cyntex in PA not at Simtec.
Today you can get a MAF & PiggyBack for $1100. Plug & play. A Stand Alone is not a bad idea, but it cost way too much money to buy them, to set them up and to tune them. I had $22K on my Motec system, and I was not impressed. Just my opinion.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:40 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva"> David I just moved from Nashville to here in Denver- in a few months you can see for yourself the 944 turbo motor I am doing for my customer there- it should romp </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Would love to see it.

I have seen Fast951's car in action at Road Atlanta, it is fast and well driven.
Old 01-16-2003, 04:41 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

David, you are in TN aren't you? What kind of engine management do you have? The 2.8L should be
a torque monster.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:02 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Using a Huntley MAF at the moment, but have a Link Stand Alone on order from Guru Racing.

We had talked earler this year about your system and while you were out of the country on a trip I decided to go stand alone. I hope this is the right choice.

I will see you at Road Atlanta this summer.
Old 01-16-2003, 11:50 PM
Huntley Racing
Racer

One little correction Danno. The 414 RWHP 2.8 ltr you mentioned retails for $6700 not $14K further that same motor has made 473 RWHP in other cars with EFI.

Quick Reply: 944 Turbo Modifications?