Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Need more power!

So the story goes. . . '86 3.2 Targa with the following mods:
1. B&B equal length exhaust
2. Autothority mass air/chip/K&N
3. Throttle Body +3mm
4. Intake port matched with heads
5. 7.31 differential

Fun to drive but I'm hungry for more power/acceleration. Car is in tune and will be replacing stock seats with Recaros to save weight. What other performance mods are possible or where else could I save weight (without removing AC)?
Old 07-30-2001, 04:06 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Without increasing displacement and compression ratio, I don't see where you are going to squeeze much more out of the 3.2

Look at the cost of doing that compared to moving up to a turbo - to get the best HP for the buck.
Old 07-30-2001, 06:24 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"where else could I save weight (withoutremoving AC)?"

You might want to reduce the windshield washer reservoir (bottle). Replace front hood with carbon fiber one. Replace front and rear bumpers with lightweight fiberglass bumpers.

Replace the seats will be a big saving if you replace them with racing bucket seats type. Remove rear seats is another option.

Other than that, step up to a Turbo is the way to go (the Turbo is heavy overall - affect handling). I wanted more power but did not want to do all that to a nice car, so, I got a C2 Turbo. I still want more power, but it's enough for me right now. Besides, C2 Turbo is very easy to modify to make more power.

Sometimes, after all that work, your car will not be original or pristine anymore and it will be hard to sell later on unless you put everything back together again.

Good luck,

Sonny Vo
ps: One more option, but it will be loud/noisy, is to remove the dampening material applied at the factory. It takes a lot of work but will not save much.
Old 07-31-2001, 10:03 AM
Chris Bennet
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can reduce weight and increase power by going to a bigger bore (95->98mm) and JE pistons.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need more power!