Notices

Track mods needed

Old 08-01-2001, 01:16 AM
C2P996
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Track mods needed

I just finished 2 days at the Glen and was pleased & disappointed with my '00 996 C2 with GT3 suspension & Z-rated race tires. Pleased because the car was smooth & very fast on track. Disappointed because the car did not give any warnings until it was too late (i.e. 2 outside wheels off in the Carousel). Would like to make mods to get better feedback from car. Sport exhaust on order, but no roll cage, harness or Recaro seats wanted. I like driving it daily. Need suggestions?
Old 08-01-2001, 03:18 AM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts
More track time is your best upgrade. The mods your have on your car will not give you warning when you have pushed it too far. Good grip with "race" tires is equal to the lack of feedback when they let go. I was told years ago that I could spend all the money I want, but the only way to get the most of the mods I wanted was to learn my way into them. I dont know what kind of exp. you have on the track... If your new to the track with a Pcar then get a feel and learn about the car.
Good luck
Old 08-01-2001, 10:32 AM
C2P996
Track Day

I've been to numerous DE's & have over 60 track dates. 15 this year alone. I understand the need of seat time but with my experience I feel I should still get better feedback.
Old 08-01-2001, 11:44 AM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts
Sorry for the assumption on seat time...
My only advice would be to talk to other track rats running the same set up. I've got a 993 so my input is limited. There used to be a site attached to the old board, Trackquest which was a great place. I think the address is http://www.tracquest.com/deboard/
I would post this question there and I'm sure you will get some help
Good Luck,
Old 08-01-2001, 01:13 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Originally posted by C2P996:
<STRONG>
Disappointed because the car did not give any warnings until it was too late (i.e. 2 outside wheels off in the Carousel).
</STRONG>
Which tires are you running, and at what pressure?
Old 08-02-2001, 01:03 AM
C2P996
Track Day

Z-Pzeros. Running 36 cold bleed off 40 hot.
Old 08-02-2001, 01:40 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by C2P996:
<STRONG>Z-Pzeros. Running 36 cold bleed off 40 hot.</STRONG>
C2P:

Those cold pressures are way too high, IMHO. This makes ANY car very skittish, unresponsive and hard to read what the chassis really doing.

Start at 32/34 cold.

The other issue is shock valving. If you really have the GT-3 struts and shocks, they have very aggressive valving and spring rates and the car will communicate itself more subtely (sp?). Its simply a non-forgiving setup for most people.

Try the easy stuff first but this setup should not be run over the FIA curbs unless you soften the valving and perhaps the springs a little.
Old 08-02-2001, 11:38 AM
addictionms
Instructor

I have P-Zeros, and I can't (will not due to lack of oppinion) comment on the tire pressures, but I can tell you that P-Zeros fall off really quick, so you may have experienced that. I driven several different cars on the tracks in northern California, and my 996 had the worst tires (P-Zeros). On my 1988 911 I run Toytos and on our endro car we have run Toyos and now slicks, and both those have a much more predicatable edge over a longer time period.

So as painful as it will be I suggest if you want to widen the edge, consider new/different tires. Plus two wheeos off is not so bad.... :-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Track mods needed