Notices

86 3.2l chip sources.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 10:06 PM
HJV11
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 86 3.2l chip sources.

I am new to the 911 world, Who makes the best chips for an otherwise stock 3.2? After reading some other bang for the buck threads this seems to be the weapon of choice for a first investment.

TIA,
Old 06-17-2003, 09:23 AM
Dave Thomas
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi RJ,

There are two routes you can take: any of the mass-produced chips (Weltmeister, Autothority, etc.) or you can have a custom chip burned. Most of the name-brand chips go for $300 - $400, most of them produce more horsepower by racically advancing the ignition and raising the rev limit, and they're a one-size-fits-all deal.

Then there's a guy named Steve Wong (stevekw@pacbell.net) who will custom burn a chip for you, based on your engine/intake/exhaust/etc. specs, for $230, which will give you a nice increase in power and a smoother engine without as much risk. Steve's reputation is spotless. You might do a search on the Pelican site too.

BTW, you will run into the "how many pins" question - you should have a 24-pin DME, vs the 28-pin which is found in mid-87 and later cars.

The chip and an exhaust system will probably make you very happy.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:42 AM
HJV11
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Dan, I guess I should also ask about the tuning software and chip burners. Does anyone have an idea what they use to tune (software)? I have been tuning chevy LT1's for a few years and have unlimited dynotime, I work part time on a dyno.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:00 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

You should install all other engine mods you are planning before getting the custom chip made, of course.

There is also a product called Unichip which you might want to consider. It is a piggy back computer that intercepts your ECU signals and remaps ignition and fuel, etc. It is customised to your own setup on a dyno. Some Rennlisters have reported very healthy gains (e.g. 25hp on a 993 Carrera).

Search the archives, and have a look at http://www.dastek.co.za

Quick Reply: 86 3.2l chip sources.