Pad / Rotor options for 997S

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 09:03 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Pad / Rotor options for 997S

Hi all,

Gearing up for the DE season and am sure I will run out of pad quickly. My previous car was an E46 M3 and I went from stock to Axxis Ultimate to Cobalt Friction Sport GT to Cobalt Friction Spec VR (tried a few others as well). The final step, the Spec VR of course was all-out race pad rated to about 1600 degrees. Fantastic braking power, but not for the street (changed pads before and after events as I put on my R-comps).

With the 997S I will run the first few events on stock tires and pads in order to get comfortable with the new car. Then I'll switch to the PSCs on 18s I picked up and at that point I will also need more pad.

The cooling and brakes on the 997S are vastly superior to the M3, so here's my question...

Is there a pad sized for the 997S that can pull dual purpose - something that is good on the track but won't squeal like a school bus on the street between events? I will certainly change pads in the off seasons (early spring, summer, and late fall), but it would be nice to be able to leave one set on for a month that has several DEs in it.

In reading the various information on Pagid (I'd like to start with them), it sounds like the RS19 Yellow is my "best" track pad - but what is that compound like on the street? Weather here in CT is cold, which of course has an impact on street brake acoustics

I'd rather not experiment too much (ie: oem to Blue to Orange to Yellow) - costly in terms of pad sets. If there really is no "in between" pad, then I may just have to go with OEM for street and switch to something like Yellow for each event. In the perfect world, something in the middle like Orange might pull dual street and track duty...

As to Rotors - I will want to swap out oem for 2-piece floating / slotted rotors for weight savings and to eliminate the drilled aspect (bad experience with cracking on the M3 and I've seen a friend with a 996 GT3 go through too many sets of oem rotors). PFC is making a great modular rotor for the 997, but no 997S size yet. I think I've read that the 997S brakes are the same as the 996 Turbo? If so, then I would think any replacement rotors for those cars would swap over directly?

Thanks,
Ron

Update for others that might be interested... Spoke with many, read a bunch and I'm going with Orange with the GT3 RS brake ducts. Orange will be a little more street oriented than black or yellow, and on the track, the additional cooling from the larger ducts should help keep them in operating temperature.

Last edited by RonCT; 03-05-2007 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:29 PM
colonel
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RonCT,
I have used my 05 C2S to DE for the last 2 years (5 events about 10 track days). The Porsche brake system is excellent. I had 2 E36M3 before. The OEM pad has held up pretty well. Granted, I'm not in the red/black group, only in the immediate level. I thuoght about getting different aftermarket pads but worry about noise or may actually cause worst braking performance. For me, I wil just stick with stock pad and rotor for now.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:02 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I run in Black and had used 100% of the brakes that my E46 M3 had to offer. I started as a novice with stock pads and went to Axxis Ultimates, Cobalt Friction Sport GT, and then their Spec VR - the most aggressive racing pad.

With the 997S, I will find out soon how the stock pads hold up. I have Pagid Oranges (slightly more aggressive than stock, but still quiet enough for street) to put on as the next course of action. It's not possible to get worse braking performance out of upgraded pads. They will have different characteristics on the street (ie: Delayed bite in cold), but on the track anything with a higher coefficient of friction / temperature rating is going to be a good thing.

Quick Reply: Pad / Rotor options for 997S