Notices

Fender/Flare Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Minoclan
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Fender/Flare Advice needed

I have a 1987 Carrera. I use the car for the street and DE events. I have done almost every known upgrade mentioned on this website. I was kicking around a winter project for the car and was thinking about the 11" RSR/IROC flare front fenders with 15" vented rear flare quarter panels. Of course all of the related stuff like the bumpers would be changed also. I wanted everyone's opinion if this was too "over the top"? Should I go with 9" fronts and 13" rears. Other than the wheels and tires what are the pitfalls that I haven't thought of? I really dont care about making an exact replica. Thanks people!!

Last edited by Minoclan; 10-08-2006 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:19 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you should come over to 964 forum and speak with Geoffrey. He turned his C2 into RSR or this other guy (don't remember is name) who call's his car "the turtle".

Good luck and it seems like a fun project.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:12 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CWay27
Maybe you should come over to 964 forum and speak with Geoffrey. He turned his C2 into RSR or this other guy (don't remember is name) who call's his car "the turtle".

Good luck and it seems like a fun project.
that would be Tom W 's turtle with the awesome widebody kit.

Last edited by karlooz; 10-11-2006 at 01:36 AM.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:12 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by karlooz
that would be Tom W 's turtle with the awesome widebody kit.
Thanks but speaking of Tom, I haven't seen any posts from him in a while....
Old 10-13-2006, 01:28 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CWay27
Thanks but speaking of Tom, I haven't seen any posts from him in a while....
he's usually in the racing forum.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:27 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been hiding. Lot's of work and I'm running off to Hawaii for a week tomorrow to relax.

9" fronts will look silly (too small). With those fenders you will want to run 275/335 tires to make it look right. Getty Design makes a reasonable body kit (ask me how I know ). It's not going to be cheap to replace all 4 corners, the front and rear and get it all fit and painted, but I think it looks great. Since I started with a 964 and like the 993 looks better, I went with the 993 RSR look.

A couple pics ...
Attached Images    
Old 10-13-2006, 03:44 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom W
I've been hiding. Lot's of work and I'm running off to Hawaii for a week tomorrow to relax.

9" fronts will look silly (too small). With those fenders you will want to run 275/335 tires to make it look right. Getty Design makes a reasonable body kit (ask me how I know ). It's not going to be cheap to replace all 4 corners, the front and rear and get it all fit and painted, but I think it looks great. Since I started with a 964 and like the 993 looks better, I went with the 993 RSR look.

A couple pics ...
dammit tom, i want your car!
Old 10-13-2006, 05:11 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

That can be arranged for a not so small fee ...
Old 10-15-2006, 11:33 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I also used a Getty Design kit, but kept the 964 bodywork and the rear quarters are steel factory pieces. Interestingly Tom, my car was originally the same color as yours...

My advice, choose what you like the best...opinions will vary...Whatever kit you choose will cost about the same to have installed...
Old 10-16-2006, 02:04 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Minoclan
I have a 1987 Carrera. I use the car for the street and DE events. I have done almost every known upgrade mentioned on this website. I was kicking around a winter project for the car and was thinking about the 11" RSR/IROC flare front fenders with 15" vented rear flare quarter panels. Of course all of the related stuff like the bumpers would be changed also. I wanted everyone's opinion if this was too "over the top"? Should I go with 9" fronts and 13" rears. Other than the wheels and tires what are the pitfalls that I haven't thought of? I really dont care about making an exact replica. Thanks people!!
It is really way over kill. In fact you will actually go slower if you don't put a big motor in it due to the extra rotational mass from the wheels and tires and steering issues you will encounter. You can't get a street tire with enough width to properly fit. This means running 2" spacers all the way around (plus the factory spacers) or some creative built wheels. If you space it right for the looks, you are going to find some interesting feel with the steering since the tires will be so far away from the steering axis.

My 79' S/C is currently in the shop being upgraded with a setup I put together from AIR. It has a 1-piece 934 style front bumper, 9" Turbo front fenders, 13" 964 vended quarters and rear bumper plus winged rockers. The only reason I went with the 13"s is I got a really good deal on them (someone else ordered, but didn't take delivery). I actually wanted 11"s which would have allowed me to run a 315 tire. I upgraded the front to a 930 front end (struts and spindles) so the steering axis is correct. I am running 17x9.0"s with 245's in front and 17x13"s with 335's out back. I still think that what I am doing is way overkill and I'm going to have to run a very small front bar due to the amount of tire I'm using out back to get it to handle correctly. If I did it all over again, I would have just ordered the 11" quarters.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:24 AM
911pcars
Racer

Is this what you had in mind? Here's a 3.0 RSR look.

Story and build info here:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...light=rsr+body

Unfortunately, not mind.

Sherwood
Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2007, 03:24 AM
turbo 3.6
Racer

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
My 79' S/C is currently in the shop being upgraded with a setup I put together from AIR. It has a 1-piece 934 style front bumper, 9" Turbo front fenders, 13" 964 vended quarters and rear bumper plus winged rockers. The only reason I went with the 13"s is I got a really good deal on them (someone else ordered, but didn't take delivery). I actually wanted 11"s which would have allowed me to run a 315 tire. I upgraded the front to a 930 front end (struts and spindles) so the steering axis is correct. I am running 17x9.0"s with 245's in front and 17x13"s with 335's out back. I still think that what I am doing is way overkill and I'm going to have to run a very small front bar due to the amount of tire I'm using out back to get it to handle correctly. If I did it all over again, I would have just ordered the 11" quarters.
Really interested in your project, what type of engine are you going to run?

Would love to hear more and see some pics and specs etc. As i am planning to build a 934 type racecar.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:24 PM
pdqcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to be too redundant on already good advice above, if you want to go for a particular look versus building as competitive a car as possible then go for whatever looks best to you from all the photos you can find of wide and ultrawide 911s. Most of the bodykit OEMs have everything you need to see online.

If you want to be as competitive as possible match your tire/wheel size and track width with your power and the type of tracks you run. Your motor isn't any more juiced than mine and I can't overpower my Hoosier 285 rears on 9x17 and am able to record over 1.2 lateral g's (with 245/17 fronts). My rear flares are massaged almost an 1" wider (ala RUF 10" flares) to allow these with 3/4" spacers. Otherwise basically remaining a narrow body 2500 lb car it's fast in the straights and relatively competitive in the corners. If I were to add turbo flares I could slam the car another 2" and space out my track width and be even faster/competitive in the corners (with suitable suspension mods to make it work properly).. Going to larger 275front/315rear would add further cornering and deceleration ability, but it would hurt acceleration and top speed (figure anything above ~120 mph).

Hope this helps ya.
Cheers, PDQ
Old 07-17-2007, 12:34 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo 3.6
Really interested in your project, what type of engine are you going to run?

Would love to hear more and see some pics and specs etc. As i am planning to build a 934 type racecar.
As an update, the car is about half done. The entire front end is done and they are starting on the 1/4 panels. I would like to say the AIR front end components fit very nice and even. It really helps though having a body shop that is really good working with fibergalss. There was some trimming on the edges of the fenders, but the gaps are perfect adn look OEM. Even the cutout for the fuel filler has a perfectly even gap. I should have some new pics in a week when I can get back over there.

There is simply NO reason to put that much rubber undernear unless you need to use it. Very simply, no flat-6 can give enough power to justify this much rubber without spending far more than the cost of the car (with the bodywork, interior, suspension, etc.). Even with stock 87' Carrera bodywork, you can fit 8" wide wheels in front and 9.5" wide wheels out back with the right tire sizes and offsets. If you are just doing bolt-ons, leave the stock body work. If you are looking to go more aggressive with a mild turbo engine or a 3.6L swap, move up to turbo front fenders (9.0") and Turbo rear fenders (11.0"). If you are looking to put out more, go bigger. I am looking to put out more.

The simple solution is to get the power from something cheap, easy to bolt in and even lighter than the original engine: going water cooled with a Renegade Hybrid swap with an all aluminum small block. BTW, if you know anyone with a G50/50 or G50/52 transmission for sale, I am looking to buy one.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:36 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I respectfully disagree that the larger tires are wasted.

I have a basically stock 3.6 (300 hp) in a lightened car (2500 lbs without me) running 10.5" and 13" R600 slicks (a very hard compound). I can sustain 1.7 g's thanks the the wider tires. I have no problem getting the tires above 180 °F (meaning they get to the appropriate temperature).

I may suffer a bit on the straights, but since it's a lower hp car anyway, I lose to the higher hp cars. I make up for it in the corners. The car is a lot faster with tthe wider tires than the old 225/275 tires and has about the same hp.

Quick Reply: Fender/Flare Advice needed