Notices

Fender/Flare Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree.
I have sometimes wished for just a little wider flair and have considered doing a bolt-on 934 type myself.
However, I can already fit 275's & 335's under the regular type turbo body, so really no point except sure would make it easier to fit and allow wider rims, which I am sure would help.
My car certainly could use more power, but with the extra track & tire the flairs allow really does give it an advantage.
Anyway, you might wanna' stick with steel for the street.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:50 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Hi guys. I am looking into doing a widebody kit for my car also that would allow me to run 10's and 12's I believe. Now I know I'm not from the rear engined world but my question is more on the finish of the fibreglass in harmony with the existing steel bodywork? Apparently the kit (http://allporscheracing.com/index.htm) is the best fitting for my particular car and I will have comfortably somewhere over 500hp crank so power won't be the issue. This is for a road car that needs to look good but my focus is for the track. You do see cars with f/glass panelwork and they look pretty kit car at times with cracking and wavy paintwork. From the pic's of Tom's car, it would seem that this is not the case all the time. That looks very nice!
T.I.A.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:19 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Why did I think I was going to get an answer from rear engined guys. Never have, never will.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:54 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Sorry...
I didn't know how to really respond, as I run factory steel flairs.
I agree too, that there are very many composite parts/body kits out there and some do look very nice.
However, all I have ever seen have always had some issue including those beautiful DP's.
It seems that if you have a part that doesn't need to be blended onto the existing body and maybe just bolted on, that would be best.
I think I would like to run those 968 style flairs on my 951, when the time comes.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:00 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your reply Marc and excuse my pettyness, it's just that I get the impression that in the US 944's are often owned by kids and maybe they get ignored by the older guys or something. I'm 47 so it get's a bit annoying.
Yes I agree with you on the finish of these add on kits and the bolt on ones could be the way to go but for my road car I wanted something with a better finish on it. Check out some of the pic's on this thread.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...58&postcount=1
https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...3&postcount=21
Hmm, I'll have to figure out how to send the link to the thread itself, but you get the picture.
Cheers,
Patrick
Old 08-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Hey, that's cool...you still have me by four years, though.
I've been following those threads with much interest and think I understand what you want and are asking.
Now, I've seen those wide original-style fenders and really like how they look, too.
In fact, the ones I have seen kept stock bumpers, etc. and it looked great.
The concern I have had is what you don't see underneath.
I believe there has to be foam or some other kind of protection from flying rocks off the tires installed otherwise 'stars'/cracks can develope in the fiberglass.
Also, 'tubs' need to be fabricated or you can usually see where the existing body has been cut away.
Your 951 seems to be a way too nice example to risk a poor quality part on, so I can really appreciate what you must be going through.
Goodluck!
Old 08-06-2007, 05:13 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Well the ones in this link http://allporscheracing.com/WBody.html that show the widebodied black car come with internal liners or tubs but I think you have to cut away at the original rear fenders which I don't really want either. I would be happy to do it in metal but that has it's complications too, not the least being $$ and finding someone proficient enough to do a great job. I'm currently running 9" and 10" and I may only be able to go up to 10" and 11" so it's not too much room to find but there's very little left. I want as much as I can get under there as I'm looking at going up significantly in power, well over 500hp crank so I may need as much as possible.
Are all the ones in this thread on the rear engined cars metal flares then?
Old 08-06-2007, 08:27 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Yeah, you're right about that kit coming complete.
Solves that problem.
I don't think the car(s) on this thread are steel, but the difference is they are used for racing vs. street.
It would be nice to get some 335's under your car after all that work.
Guess you can simply get your wheels rebuilt and widened.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:29 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car looked fantastic when it came out of the paint shop - it has fiberglass for all but the original parts (roof and doors). After nearly 2 years of racing it's got the paint chips you'd expect. The other issue with fiberglass wheel wells is that you get little cracks in the paint all over them. They still look great from 10' but not from 10". How good the car looks depends upon how much effort was put into making it look that way to start with (fit and finish and the quality of the paint job).
Old 08-08-2007, 06:06 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. It all helps. Going to take it to a body shop and see what they say.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:26 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Your intended use will help you make your decision. You don't have to worry about a particular class or spec wheels and tires so go with the body style that looks the best to you. I went with 9 and 11" flares and run 18x9 and 11" wheels. My car is 2200 lbs dry and easily takes advantage of the 245/275 RA-1's that I am using. With a different alignment and ride height, I should be able to fit 275/305 RA-1's.

You need to be careful comparing tire sizes as each manufacturer has their own idea of sizing.

Quick Reply: Fender/Flare Advice needed