Notices

How can I get a firmer ride?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 12:57 PM
NineEleven
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I get a firmer ride?

Hi guys, I find that my suspension is a little soft as it bounces to much & the shocks are not absorbing it. They are less than 3yrs old & done no more than 25k kms. I would prefer a 10-20% firmer ride. Does lowering the height with existing shocks yet without changing the springs help or make it worse?

What is the correct procedure? Thanks.

Jon
Old 08-09-2007, 01:01 PM
fork_included
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lowring with your current shocks will definetly make the matters worse

by decreasing shock travel you will be using your bumpstops more often, this means increased spring rate, since your shocks are already worn, an increase in spring rate will do you no good.

also what kind of shocks do you have in the car at the moment?

i would recomend purchasing a new set of performance shocks, such as Bilstein HD's or Koni Yellows if you are planning on staying at OEM height

Bilstein Sports if you want to lower a bit, however i dont recomend lowring if comfort is an issue because there is nothign that you could do about the reduced suspension travel, which is a key factor in ride comfort.

also if money is not an issue you can always get yourself some fancy 3 way adjustable shock absorbers.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:38 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fork_included
lowring with your current shocks will definetly make the matters worse

by decreasing shock travel you will be using your bumpstops more often, this means increased spring rate, since your shocks are already worn, an increase in spring rate will do you no good.

also what kind of shocks do you have in the car at the moment?

i would recomend purchasing a new set of performance shocks, such as Bilstein HD's or Koni Yellows if you are planning on staying at OEM height

Bilstein Sports if you want to lower a bit, however i dont recomend lowring if comfort is an issue because there is nothign that you could do about the reduced suspension travel, which is a key factor in ride comfort.

also if money is not an issue you can always get yourself some fancy 3 way adjustable shock absorbers.
+1 on the lowering springs with stock shocks/struts...DON'T DO IT!

I had H&R lowering springs on mine for only a month before I replaced the entire suspension with the x74. With the lowering springs, it placed the shocks/struts in a compressed situation always except when you hit a bump and then the shock/strut would decompress and the car would bounce, to a point it was unsafe IMHO.

Quick Reply: How can I get a firmer ride?