Notices

TC Design Toe Links FAILED

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006 | 04:51 AM
efenity
3rd Gear

Default TC Design Toe Links FAILED

Where to start... I drive a 2001 GPW Honda S2000 with 19,000 miles in what many
would have considered mint condition. This car is equipped with JRZ triple adjustable dampers, Volk CE28N 17" wheels, Toyo RA-1 tires, and lastly TC Design Fab rear anti-bumpsteer toe links. It is primarily street driven, albeit sparingly as it is treated as a collector's vehicle.

Last night, I was enjoying having the top down when I heard a loud pop from the rear of the car. As soon as I heard this, I simply assumed I had gotten a flat tire and proceeded to slow down calmly. 50 feet later I heard a thunderous bang
from the same place in the rear of the car, and the car immediately lost control. The
skidmarks of the tire that buckled lead straight forward, and as soon as there was a bang, it veered off to the side of the road.
Damage was done to the front bumper, both front fenders, hood, rear driverside quarter
panel, rear bumper, my HKS exhaust, left axle, left hub, and lastly a *SHEARED* TC Design anti bumpsteer toe
link kit.

This catastrophe was due to the failure of the toe link. The car was traveling down a straight road and the broken toe-link caused it to suddenly changed direction.
The change of toe in the rear from the rear tire splaying out at 45 degrees is indicated but the flat spot on the tire and the 30 yard skidmark. I feel that TC
Design is to be held accountable for their negligence. I hope to work out a
resolution with TC Design to be indemnified for all damages incurred from this
incident.

Caveat emptor, this is not the first kit that I have heard of failing and I would hate
to see another S2000 suffer a similar fate. I would also like to mention that I have only put 8,000 miles on my links.

I would like to ask for all of your opinion as to what course of action I should take. I suppose my options are to proceed legally and/or through insurance. I just would hate to see my insurance rates increase. Should TC Design cover the cost of the damages assuming my vehicle is repairable?
also, my post was deleted from s2ki, the s2000 forum, moments after i made it from a mod.

Old 04-04-2006 | 05:39 AM
bruinbro
Pro

Old 04-04-2006 | 05:41 AM
efenity
3rd Gear

im asking for advice, and also voicing a warning. if i was going faster than i was- i would have died.
Old 04-04-2006 | 03:37 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

I would guess that your insurance company will not cover the repairs because the modifications to the car are what caused the damage, unless of course your insurance policy knew that the car was modified from stock. From TCs point of view you also may be out of luck if they do not offer or you have passed the warranty on the parts.

Good luck. I imagine the right lawyer can get you something from TC if you prove negligence or inferior design for the job.
Old 04-05-2006 | 12:27 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...play.php?f=128

Not getting much love from the bimmerboys
Old 04-05-2006 | 12:55 AM
bruinbro
Pro

Originally Posted by efenity
im asking for advice, and also voicing a warning. if i was going faster than i was- i would have died.
So I guess it was a good thing for you S2000's aren't very fast.

Bro
Old 04-06-2006 | 10:31 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

We all feel bad that your car got damaged.

There is more to the story and reading the threads on Bimmer forums and Honda-tech shed more light on your issues. I guess it comes down to who is responsible when someone buys a used part intended for a different use and this part brakes. I have done business with Tony at TC Design and he is an honest person and takes personal responsibility for his products and service. The part in question was updated, but the previous owner did not pass on this information to you. Furthermore, how do you know that the part was not damaged, set up incorrectly, etc. prior to your purchase? Lastly, it is apparent that you haven't called Tony to discuss what happened and instead have chosen to post your experience on multiple boards. This only serves to lessen your credibility. TC Design has an outstanding reputation in the racing community so your current line of action is not going to work.

Your probably will not get any simpathy from Tony now that you have tried to defame his company so try your luck with your insurance company.
Old 04-06-2006 | 07:05 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

What is the point of posting this on a public forum that has nothing to do with Honda's? You don't event mention if you have talked to Tony. It seems your first recourse should have been to resolve this with the parties involved.
Old 04-06-2006 | 09:04 PM
efenity
3rd Gear

i contacted tony and hes being very cooperative. he is having me take my car to a reputable body shop tomorrow and getting a quote. i will keep everyone posted and i appriciate all your help and support. ill even take pics of the final result!
Old 04-06-2006 | 09:13 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Let's hope it works out well for everyone. Tony is a very understanding person and an outstanding supporter of the local race series and their drivers/teams.

Quick Reply: TC Design Toe Links FAILED