Notices

JIC Coilovers -- Boxster Setup Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 04:38 PM
mickf
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JIC Coilovers -- Boxster Setup Help

I've ordered a set of JIC Coilovers for my '01 Boxster S. They will be replacing H&R springs & Bilstein Sport struts. I autocross the Boxster almost weekly, track occasionally, and use it as my daily driver unless the weather sucks.

Other setup info:
- GT3 front sway bar (full soft)
- Kuhmo 710 245/45x17 & 275/40x17
- Lightweight Kinesis 8.5x17 & 10x17 wheels

I'm looking for input on initial settings with the JICs:
- Alignment - Don't know how much front camber will be available via the JIC adjustment, but should I take it to 1/2 degree less than the rear's max? Any reason to do toe differently than without the coilovers?
- Ride Height - Are there other considerations besides corner balance, ground clearance and tire clearance. Go as low as I think is safe?
- Stiffness (Compression/Rebound) Settings - Is midrange the best starting point for competition, and adjust from there based on my Data Acquisition Device (aka butt)?
- Other - Is there something else I should be asking about now 'cept I don't even know any better yet?

I'm also awaiting arrival of a Tarett rear sway bar. When received, I intend to start it off at full soft, but adjust the front GT3 bar 1 or 2 holes from full soft. Comments/suggestions?

Oh, if adjusting stiffness requires wheel removal, no problem as I could do that as the Kuhmos are put on & taken off.

Everybody/Anybody, please feel free to divulge your secrets. I'll use them in good faith and promise not to tell!

TIA
Old 02-25-2006, 11:24 PM
bruinbro
Pro

The BRB is down for a while. Did you post there? If so I replied with my JIC setup info. If not, let me know and I'll reprise my post as best as I can remember.

Bro
Old 02-26-2006, 01:24 AM
mickf
Rennlist Member

I did get your post on the BRB. Thanks. The JICs are installed & all is well. FYI, I did have some problem with clearance as you warned of. With my particular wheels & tires, was able to resolve with spacers that I already had.

In addition to the basic benefits of the coilovers, the available camber is awesome. My Boxster is no longer "camber challenged." The autocross season is about to get back into full swing here & I'll see how the -2.8 degrees I now have in front works. My shop says there's a lot more camber available with the JICs if I need it. Of course I'll also have to see how quickly it destroys my tires!

Thanks again...

Quick Reply: JIC Coilovers -- Boxster Setup Help